Kaliyev, Lavoie, Brink

Which player you would like to have in your team?

• Total voters

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Didnt see alot of Brink this year, but in the viewings I witnessed Lavoie was so much better than Kaliev.

Kaliev was specifically aweful in the playoffs while Lavoie was the most dominant player in the CHL. After watching Lavoie in the playoffs I am absolutely shocked he was not drafted in the first round. The off ice issues must be no joke. A 6'4 player with his size, skating, shot, hands and down low ability should be atleast a top 15 pick.

Kaliev was a ghost in the playoffs

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Didnt see alot of Brink this year, but in the viewings I witnessed Lavoie was so much better than Kaliev.

Kaliev was specifically aweful in the playoffs while Lavoie was the most dominant player in the CHL. After watching Lavoie in the playoffs I am absolutely shocked he was not drafted in the first round. The off ice issues must be no joke. A 6'4 player with his size, skating, shot, hands and down low ability should be atleast a top 15 pick.

I mean, Lavoie was the 4th-5th placed scorer on his own team in the reg season AND memorial cup--25th in reg season scoring--on his own first-tier team while Kaliyev was head-and-shoulders in his own tier scoring 23 points more than his next closest teammate and more than doubling up anyone 3rd place down on a Hamilton Bulldogs team that barely made the playoffs, where they got crushed by Ottawa who literally won 12 straight games on their way to the Final.

Can at least pretend to acknowledge the apples-to-oranges in their situations if you're going to focus on one sample size over the others. If you're going to ignore literally everything about Kaliyev but 4 playoff games where his team was insanely outmatched, that's on you.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Lavoie. I'd say Brink but he'd only lead you to the brink of greatness. :sarcasm: I take my chances with Lavoie.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I think Kailyev is going to develop into a dangerous scorer, I still can’t see why he dropped so hard.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I mean, Lavoie was the 4th-5th placed scorer on his own team in the reg season AND memorial cup--25th in reg season scoring--on his own first-tier team while Kaliyev was head-and-shoulders in his own tier scoring 23 points more than his next closest teammate and more than doubling up anyone 3rd place down on a Hamilton Bulldogs team that barely made the playoffs, where they got crushed by Ottawa who literally won 12 straight games on their way to the Final.

Can at least pretend to acknowledge the apples-to-oranges in their situations if you're going to focus on one sample size over the others. If you're going to ignore literally everything about Kaliyev but 4 playoff games where his team was insanely outmatched, that's on you.

He was an absolute animal in the playoffs though.

Having said that when round 2 began with Kaliyev not picked yet it was Kaliyev first then Lavoie second for who I wanted.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
He was an absolute animal in the playoffs though.

Having said that when round 2 began with Kaliyev not picked yet it was Kaliyev first then Lavoie second for who I wanted.

Which is fine. Zero problem with the acknowledgement that Lavoie was an absolute monster at a time when it counted.

Big problem with the acknowledgement of a 4 game sample size of Kaliyev with sheer ignorance of anything else he did all year.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

I think it kinda comes down to...Lavoie had a pretty extended weak stretch earlier in the year where he just clearly was not playing up to the level he's capable of. That's a concern, absolutely. But if you can find a way to more consistently get that "good Lavoie"...you've got an absolute beast of a player with all the tools and a good toolbox too. He can be absolutely dominant. Just a matter of figuring out why he isn't like that always.

Whereas Kaliyev...in a lot of ways, is more consistent. I think you know exactly what you're getting there. He is what he is. Just have more reservations about whether that's something that will excel in the NHL...or whether it's more an aptitude suited to dominated Jr hockey. He's basically a Dany Heatley...at the absolute most extremely optimistic end of things. With a lot of stumbling blocks in whether he'll be able to translate that game to the NHL level or not. And that particularly sort of player...just isn't very useful if they're not able to translate their goal-scoring at a Top-6 NHL level. And i'd wager there were quite a few teams wary of how Kaliyev would mesh with their locker room on top of it all. He's got a lot of obstacles in his way.

That's where i'd take Lavoie. He's got very similar upside, with better all-around potential. The real issue is...will he be more consistently engaged? How do you get that to happen?

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think it kinda comes down to...Lavoie had a pretty extended weak stretch earlier in the year where he just clearly was not playing up to the level he's capable of. That's a concern, absolutely. But if you can find a way to more consistently get that "good Lavoie"...you've got an absolute beast of a player with all the tools and a good toolbox too. He can be absolutely dominant. Just a matter of figuring out why he isn't like that always.

Whereas Kaliyev...in a lot of ways, is more consistent. I think you know exactly what you're getting there. He is what he is. Just have more reservations about whether that's something that will excel in the NHL...or whether it's more an aptitude suited to dominated Jr hockey. He's basically a Dany Heatley...at the absolute most extremely optimistic end of things. With a lot of stumbling blocks in whether he'll be able to translate that game to the NHL level or not. And that particularly sort of player...just isn't very useful if they're not able to translate their goal-scoring at a Top-6 NHL level. And i'd wager there were quite a few teams wary of how Kaliyev would mesh with their locker room on top of it all. He's got a lot of obstacles in his way.

That's where i'd take Lavoie. He's got very similar upside, with better all-around potential. The real issue is...will he be more consistently engaged? How do you get that to happen?
17 year olds lack consistency. People get way too hung up on this when evaluating players. Its how they perform when it matters most at this age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad