News Article: Kaleta hit on Jack Johnson [10 games, upheld on appeal]

Freezerburn

Mar 20, 2003
It's not surprising that Kaleta's going to get games given his in-person hearing, history and reputation. He constantly throws these near-misses under the guise of finishing checks and thunders into the boards. Amongst players, his actions are likely viewed wreckless, with a total lack of respect that he must come in with so much speed to finish them off with questionable intent. This time, Kaleta had Johnson in his sights from the NZ and still caught him on the chin in a fly-by, as Kaleta made sure to get a piece of him. It's textbook Rule 48 (aka illegal check to the head) IMO; how the league enforces it though, is usually anyone's guess. I also think the PK will get on just fine without him, as his value there is overstated (plug).

I agree, this couldn't be more obvious. The only thing that will mitigate the number of games down is the fact that Johnson wasn't significantly injured on the play.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
It's not surprising that Kaleta's going to get games given his in-person hearing, history and reputation. He constantly throws these near-misses under the guise of finishing checks and thunders into the boards. Amongst players, his actions are likely viewed wreckless, with a total lack of respect that he must come in with so much speed to finish them off with questionable intent. This time, Kaleta had Johnson in his sights from the NZ and still caught him on the chin in a fly-by, as Kaleta made sure to get a piece of him. It's textbook Rule 48 (aka illegal check to the head) IMO; how the league enforces it though, is usually anyone's guess. I also think the PK will get on just fine without him, as his value there is overstated (plug).

I don't think it's quite that bad. Kaleta's shoulder and elbow stay tucked. He doesn't leap into the hit, or anything like that. It's a bit reckless, and for that he will be punished, especially since the chin was probably clipped. If it wasn't Kaleta, this is a fine at worst.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
One of the issues pointed out in the Edler suspension video is the line that Edler took, clearly going toward the front of Hertl, not the left shoulder that was exposed. Hertl did not change direction or stop.

In Kaleta's scenario, he was taking a line toward Johnson's exposed right shoulder. Johnson hit the brakes though (very late) and Kaleta (as usual) was coming in with speed and couldn't possibly change the angle, so he clipped him across the front instead of hitting square on the side. Kaleta did not lift up high or jump up high and didn't appear to intentionally target Johnson's head.

I'm all about taking unnecessary hits out of the game, but this looked more accidental than intentional. Kaleta was being semi-reckless though, and due to reputation he'll get hammered more than he should...probably 8-10 games for a non-injury hit.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I don't think it's quite that bad. Kaleta's shoulder and elbow stay tucked. He doesn't leap into the hit, or anything like that. It's a bit reckless, and for that he will be punished, especially since the chin was probably clipped. If it wasn't Kaleta, this is a fine at worst.

These are my thoughts as well.

I also didn't think the Edler hit was bad either.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Alternate Angle

Edit: FS-O also noted that Kaleta "was guilty of a hit later in the game on Cam Atkinson similarly", but they didn't have that to show the audience.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

Edit: FS-O also noted that Kaleta "was guilty of a hit later in the game on Cam Atkinson similarly", but they didn't have that to show the audience.

So if Johnson isnt bent over he gets "clipped" square on the shoulder.

IMO a large part of the problem comes, not necessarily from playing dirty or going for dirty hits, but going for hits that are reckless and, if circumstances change quickly as they often do in the NHL, become dirty and dangerous in a hurry.

I personally want to get to a point where "probably going to be clean" isn't good enough to throw a questionable hit that could either be clean or catastrophic. If that involves punishing players for accidents, so be it. Hitting isn't the only option, and I don't really care much about hitting in general.

I remember 4 hits, Campbell Umberger, Kaleta Prucha/Mara, and Foligno Gunnarsson. I could probably list a hundred goals I remember. Don't need the former.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
IMO a large part of the problem comes, not necessarily from playing dirty or going for dirty hits, but going for hits that are reckless and, if circumstances change quickly as they often do in the NHL, become dirty and dangerous in a hurry.

I personally want to get to a point where "probably going to be clean" isn't good enough to throw a questionable hit that could either be clean or catastrophic. If that involves punishing players for accidents, so be it. Hitting isn't the only option, and I don't really care much about hitting in general.

I remember 4 hits, Campbell Umberger, Kaleta Prucha/Mara, and Foligno Gunnarsson. I could probably list a hundred goals I remember. Don't need the former.

I understand what you are saying, but you cannot completely remove the danger from hits. Also, that Umberger hit was perfectly clean.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Thought the meeting was at 2pm? What's taking so long?

Its the NHL, they are so far behind in everything. They are probably using the ping pong balls that determine the draft order to see how long the suspension should be and they probably keep getting the number 2 and are going to keep trying until they get the number 10.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
apparently TSN radio is reporting it is a 5 game suspension. Not sure if it includes the games already missed. Probably taking this long to prepare the suspension video.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->