News Article: Kaleta hit on Jack Johnson [10 games, upheld on appeal]

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
If they knew how to handle discipline, they would throw the book at repeat offenders and get this crap out of the game. Look at the Edler/Hertl incident last night. Hey, you are going to score 4 goals and showboat? Look out the next game. That's ridiculous and stupid. Get this stupid **** out of the game.

Don't disagree. But I think we can agree that while some of Kaleta's suspensions have been perfect valid, there's been quite a few in there that have not. And those bother me. because those questionable ones magnify the 'repeat offender' stigma that he carries.

Last night's hit, to me, was not reckless. It was a hard hit, and to me an accidental one. It's something the league wants out, and rightfully so, but nailing people for 6-8 games for playing hard isn't exactly a path I want to league to go down.

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
Don't disagree. But I think we can agree that while some of Kaleta's suspensions have been perfect valid, there's been quite a few in there that have not. And those bother me. because those questionable ones magnify the 'repeat offender' stigma that he carries.

Last night's hit, to me, was not reckless. It was a hard hit, and to me an accidental one. It's something the league wants out, and rightfully so, but nailing people for 6-8 games for playing hard isn't exactly a path I want to league to go down.

They don't bother me. Intent and severity shouldn't determine the punishment. I'd rather err on the side of safety instead of ending a skilled players career due to an accident.

Kaleta has deserved the reputation he's received.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
He's supposed to be a vet, an example to the youngsters on this team. Careless, head targeted, at least upper torso aimed. It's exactly what the NHL wants out of hockey. It is the type of hit that shows he doesn't have the safety of his opponent on his mind. Hard competition is one thing, blatant disregard over and over for opposing players is a pos.

I'm bumping the poll....merge if possible.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Tracking a guy from behind and making primary contact with the head and a prior list -- he'll get time off regardless of the severity of the incident. Too bad too since the Amerks could use help on the farm rather than having someone fill in for a suspension with the big club.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
He's supposed to be a vet, an example to the youngsters on this team. Careless, head targeted, at least upper torso aimed. It's exactly what the NHL wants out of hockey. It is the type of hit that shows he doesn't have the safety of his opponent on his mind. Hard competition is one thing, blatant disregard over and over for opposing players is a pos.

I'm bumping the poll....merge if possible.

That's where you're supposed to aim!

The only angle of the hit shows very little, so I have no opinion on it yet.

I do however know if it wasn't Kaleta, they might not even bother looking at it.

Remember Shea Weber slamming Zetterberg's head into the glass, on purpose? Nothing.

If they have good evidence and give Kaleta a longer suspension, I have no problem with it on it's own. I do have a problem with them using players like Kaleta to make it look like they are trying to get "head hits" out of the game, while not actually trying very hard.

BuiltTagonTough

Stand still laddy!
Jul 2, 2009
Buffalo
That's where you're supposed to aim!

The only angle of the hit shows very little, so I have no opinion on it yet.

I do however know if it wasn't Kaleta, they might not even bother looking at it.

Remember Shea Weber slamming Zetterberg's head into the glass, on purpose? Nothing.

If they have good evidence and give Kaleta a longer suspension, I have no problem with it on it's own. I do have a problem with them using players like Kaleta to make it look like they are trying to get "head hits" out of the game, while not actually trying very hard.

Came here to post my reaction, vcv has it covered pretty well I think.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
Am I the only one who hates hearings/suspensions based on reputation (regardless of the actual incident in question)?

No, you're not. That's why I want to see a better angle on the hit. Maybe the angle that Shanahan obviously has to have called this hearing.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
kaletaelbow.gif

19y1de.jpg

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Can't really get a decent look ..seems he keeps his arm down. Either way losing one of our better players is going to hurt. NHL has never had consistent discipline I.e vcv example with weber, kessel golfing at Scott's leg (imagine if that was Crosby he was hacking at and he hurt him), and it is the most infuriating thing.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Hearing moved to Tuesday (while the Sabres are in New York to play the Islanders): http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2013/10/kaleta-suspension.html

Kaleta can't play against Chicago tomorrow or Minny on Monday.
It's not surprising that Kaleta's going to get games given his in-person hearing, history and reputation. He constantly throws these near-misses under the guise of finishing checks and thunders into the boards. Amongst players, his actions are likely viewed reckless, with a total lack of respect that he must come in with so much speed to finish them off with questionable intent. This time, Kaleta had Johnson in his sights from the NZ and still caught him on the chin in a fly-by, as Kaleta made sure to get a piece of him. It's textbook Rule 48 (aka illegal check to the head) IMO; how the league enforces it though, is usually anyone's guess. I also think the PK will get on just fine without him, as his value there is overstated (plug).

Last edited:

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
And Johnson makes ZERO effort to protect himself. Waits until the last possible second to toss the brakes on.

Not giving Kaleta a free pass here, but is sickens me to see players do this.

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
And Johnson makes ZERO effort to protect himself. Waits until the last possible second to toss the brakes on.

Not giving Kaleta a free pass here, but is sickens me to see players do this.

I'm not one to post on someone else's board, but come on. Johnson didn't protect himself because he clearly never sees the blind side hit coming. I'm all for players protecting themselves as well, but unless Johnson has a spidey sense, he can't possibly expect that hit.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I'm not one to post on someone else's board, but come on. Johnson didn't protect himself because he clearly never sees the blind side hit coming. I'm all for players protecting themselves as well, but unless Johnson has a spidey sense, he can't possibly expect that hit.

Agreed, frankly.

Expect Shanny to use the same verbiage he used on the edler hit today:

"Head is principle point of contact, and note how the result of the hit caused Johnson to spin around, and not be hit into the boards by the force of the hit."

Therefore you shall: NARFLE THE GARTHOK

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
I can't really tell if he hit him from the video or the gif. Kaleta speeds up to disrupt the shot and it looks like he was near the head, but I really can't tell if he made contact. The way Johnson reacts, it almost seems he avoided contact by spinning out of the way. I won't defend Kaleta, if he hit him, it should be a suspension, but hard to tell from available video.

SatanwasaSlovak

Jan 18, 2013
Malmö, Skåne
How can you get suspended when you don't really hit the guy? Is the league stupid, or shall we start suspend players left and right for their checks could be dangerous?

Repeated offender my ass, call the game just and consequencial instead.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
How can you get suspended when you don't really hit the guy? Is the league stupid, or shall we start suspend players left and right for their checks could be dangerous?

Come on. Kaleta tracked Johnson from the neutral zone at full speed and clipped him in the head. It's another ******** move that he's started doing a lot of this season. Skate at a player full speed and make it look like he only hit boards while clipping the player in the process. Johnson was hardly skating and somehow the principal point of contact was the head. Kaleta is an idiot that obviously isn't going to learn. Good defensive forward or not it's hard to plan a roster spot for someone who is either injured or doing stupid **** to get suspended.

heartsabres*

Exactly, how many times do I see a player skate buy trying to hit but sticks his knee or elbow out but does not make contact. You could make a youtube clip a hour long and no one else gets suspended. Shanny is a joke.

heartsabres*

Come on. Kaleta tracked Johnson from the neutral zone at full speed and clipped him in the head. It's another ******** move that he's started doing a lot of this season. Skate at a player full speed and make it look like he only hit boards while clipping the player in the process. Johnson was hardly skating and somehow the principal point of contact was the head. Kaleta is an idiot that obviously isn't going to learn. Good defensive forward or not it's hard to plan a roster spot for someone who is either injured or doing stupid **** to get suspended.

Too bad he never clipped him in the head. Wrong video you are watching.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->