KAIGORODOV's Goal

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Just shows you why guys like Phaneuf and Spezza weren't on the olympic team.

Burns can get away with that on his NHL team.

Tofly

Dec 29, 2010
Of course a great goal after I turn the eurovision song contest on... That's got to be the best goal in the tournament, though aided by sloppy defending.

WoratCase*

It was a powerplay, Phaneuf was the deepest one in and still was the first one back. Phaneuf would have had to make a diving play to stop the goal. Its like blaming Bernier for not making an amazing save on the goal. Phaneuf deserves some blame but not even close to the amount of blame that should be on Spezza and Burns.

Actually, Spezza gets in Phaneuf's way, when Dion is skating back. If Spezza isn't in La La land there, Phaneuf catches him. I'm just wondering what the hell Burns was doing. The only fail on Phaneuf was that he didn't dive and risk a penalty. ( Of course he didn't know it would be a goal).

DouglasQuaid

Blabbed about Mars
May 8, 2010
Just shows you why guys like Phaneuf and Spezza weren't on the olympic team.

Burns can get away with that on his NHL team.

This. The lack of extra effort while out of position by Phaneuf is exactly why I'm happy he's no longer a Flame. Sure Burns and Spezza (really) botched the defensive play, but Dion got close enough while chasing to give a little hook, or dive at the puck, just do something. What does he do? Stops moving his feet and just waves his stick at the guy. If you're that close take the penalty and obstruct the guy's shot, a little urgency in the 3rd period with a 1 goal lead would be nice.

Fulcrum

Yes bad play by Defense. But also a nice chip ahead by Kaigorodov.

I think this is an interesting moment, because most NA players woul dchip the puck all the way out when they see 2 guys coming. That's what Canadian players are also used to, hence their decision to rush him. It's no mystery Russian forwards like to take the puck 1 on 1.

I do think that it made the difference in that episode, and Canadians were surpised that he would try to beat them instead of dumping. They looked somewhat surprised to me

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Burns messed up... but he did save 2 great chances earlier in the game that most certainly would have resulted in a goal

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
This. The lack of extra effort while out of position by Phaneuf is exactly why I'm happy he's no longer a Flame. Sure Burns and Spezza (really) botched the defensive play, but Dion got close enough while chasing to give a little hook, or dive at the puck, just do something. What does he do? Stops moving his feet and just waves his stick at the guy. If you're that close take the penalty and obstruct the guy's shot, a little urgency in the 3rd period with a 1 goal lead would be nice.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Some of the comments in this thread are great. People are suggesting Phaneuf take a penalty (should've/would've been a shot) instead of limiting Kaigorodov's options? Suggesting that he stopped skating, when he was avoiding Spezza's horrible misplay? LOL Get a clue, you have a d-man pinching with support, he's not out of position and he makes a good play to even get back in to the play. Skinner's coasting, he actually has the closest lane to catching Kaigorodov since he's in the middle of the ice, but I wouldn't even blame him since Spezza and Burns should've easily shut down Kaigorodov on that rush. Both made incredibly bad decisions on the goal.

Thrillingbroom

Jun 15, 2009

Don't worry you got the all-star defensemen Jay Bouwmester instead.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
Everybody messed up, but #3 is terrible. He didn't even look like he was skating hard as he approached Kaigorodov on the back-check.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
****. Now that Spezza made one bad defensive play we're gonna have to hear how awful he is defensively :facepalm:
He REALLY sucked on our #1 ranked PK after we got Anderson.

That being said, it was a disgustingly bad defensive play, he just hesitated and got nervous I think.

DouglasQuaid

Blabbed about Mars
May 8, 2010
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Some of the comments in this thread are great. People are suggesting Phaneuf take a penalty (should've/would've been a shot) instead of limiting Kaigorodov's options? Suggesting that he stopped skating, when he was avoiding Spezza's horrible misplay? LOL Get a clue, you have a d-man pinching with support, he's not out of position and he makes a good play to even get back in to the play. Skinner's coasting, he actually has the closest lane to catching Kaigorodov since he's in the middle of the ice, but I wouldn't even blame him since Spezza and Burns should've easily shut down Kaigorodov on that rush. Both made incredibly bad decisions on the goal.

Oh, I'm not completely blaming Phaneuf at all, perhaps that was poorly worded. Obviously Burns and/or Spezza should have stopped him. It was a great pinch by Phaneuf, honestly. What I'm saying is after the pinch, he starts just coasting back to the blueline, until he realizes Burns is beat. Then after the effort put in on the backcheck to get into position, he just watches Kaigorodov score.

You would rather him wave his stick at the guy rather than actually attempt to stop him? Its a simple concept, tug the shooter's elbow, that way he doesn't get a clean shot off. I take that penalty the way the PK was working, but apparently I'm in need of a clue.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Oh, I'm not completely blaming Phaneuf at all, perhaps that was poorly worded. Obviously Burns and/or Spezza should have stopped him. It was a great pinch by Phaneuf, honestly. What I'm saying is after the pinch, he starts just coasting back to the blueline, until he realizes Burns is beat. Then after the effort put in on the backcheck to get into position, he just watches Kaigorodov score.

You would rather him wave his stick at the guy rather than actually attempt to stop him? Its a simple concept, tug the shooter's elbow, that way he doesn't get a clean shot off. I take that penalty the way the PK was working, but apparently I'm in need of a clue.

Phaneuf was blocked by Spezza at one point while he was skating back, kinda hard to catch up to the Russian player skating around your own team.

If you watch the video Phaneuf reaches out with his stick as far as he can and still barely touches the Russian player, how is he supposed to force him off the puck at all?

Last edited:

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

There's no point in him busting his balls back when there are 2 men in good defensive position with himself and Skinner making the turn. All 5 guys don't burst after the puck carrier anytime he has possession.

I'd take a break-away where Phaneuf's cut off his forehand deke over a penalty shot any day of the week. Kaigorodov's in clean, that's not a penalty, it's a penalty shot. He's trying to get a shot in at his stick on the backcheck as well, that's pretty obvious.

Phaneuf doesn't do anything wrong here to say otherwise is foolish. You're asking him to give the Russians a penalty shot.

nick942

Mar 15, 2011
Toronto
Everybody messed up, but #3 is terrible. He didn't even look like he was skating hard as he approached Kaigorodov on the back-check.

How so, Phaneuf was the only one trying to catch him, Spezza and Burns didn't even try to stop him

DouglasQuaid

Blabbed about Mars
May 8, 2010
There's no point in him busting his balls back when there are 2 men in good defensive position with himself and Skinner making the turn. All 5 guys don't burst after the puck carrier anytime he has possession.

I'd take a break-away where Phaneuf's cut off his forehand deke over a penalty shot any day of the week. Kaigorodov's in clean, that's not a penalty, it's a penalty shot. He's trying to get a shot in at his stick on the backcheck as well, that's pretty obvious.

Phaneuf doesn't do anything wrong here to say otherwise is foolish. You're asking him to give the Russians a penalty shot.

He's a defenceman, correct? Its his job to get back, not Skinner or Spezza. If he was going to follow up after the puck and stay deep, fine. If you're gonna turn and go back to the point, you do it with purpose.

A quick hook on the elbow is not a penalty shot, for a penalty shot you have to completely eliminate the scoring chance. Mind you with the international officiating I suppose you never know, but my point stands. Phaneuf just seems to lack that extra effort, always has. Though I suppose that opinion will be ignored as I've already stated that I'm a Flames fan.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
He's a defenceman, correct? Its his job to get back, not Skinner or Spezza. If he was going to follow up after the puck and stay deep, fine. If you're gonna turn and go back to the point, you do it with purpose.

A quick hook on the elbow is not a penalty shot, for a penalty shot you have to completely eliminate the scoring chance. Mind you with the international officiating I suppose you never know, but my point stands. Phaneuf just seems to lack that extra effort, always has. Though I suppose that opinion will be ignored as I've already stated that I'm a Flames fan.
Actually it's not, his defensive position is covered by Spezza and it's a 1on2, so he needs to mind grab anyone else jumping in to the rush. It's not to get back to defense immediately, it's to recognize the situation and fill in where he's needed. This is basic stuff here, he made his turn, Spezza picks him, he closes the gap and prevents Kaigorodov from making a forehand deke.

A penalty shot is awarded if he's got a clear-cut breakaway, which he does. It's any infraction from behind and they're called more frequently in international play.

Look at what you're arguing, you're down to suggesting the better play was giving a penalty shot instead of a break-away with a hard backcheck preventing him from going for a forehand deke.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
AWFUL defense by Burns, and pretty bad by Spezza (but what do you expect from an offensively minded forward in that situation). You can say that Phaneuf and Skinner should have hustled more, but when you see two teammates in good position you normally figure "they got it, I'll save my energy," these plays happen constantly and nobody can ever go full speed all the time. 99 times out of 100 a dman plays that WAY better than Burns did and this is nothing more than Kaigorodov clearing the puck and getting a change, which I'm sure is what Phaneuf and Skinner were (logically) assuming would happen. You should clearly play it safe in Burns' position, but even if you're gonna be aggressive, how does he put himself so out of position so that he's forced to reach? Doesn't even come close to taking the body, just an incredibly soft play that reminds me of some of the awful defense that Burns used to play in his first couple NHL seasons.

With that being said, nice moves on Burns and Spezza, and a sweet snipe too, definitely a very nice goal despite the horrible misplay by Burns, probably the goal of the tournament so far.

Last edited:

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
as much as spezza screwed up (giggle, giggle), that goal is on burns.

If your d-partner pinches, what's the last thing you want to do? What's that? Pinch? No ****. now tell burns that!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad