KAIGORODOV's Goal

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
1. When Burns rushes the Russian player with Phaneuf even deeper in the zone, it's one of the poorest decisions you can make as a defenceman with a one goal lead.

2. Spezza's weak defensive play on the blueline is extremely poor and horribly untimely. Better to take a penalty than let the guy get by you. It's also why NHL teams don't put forwards on the point out late in 3rd periods. In this case though, he was covering for a pinch. (badly)

3. Phaneuf was coasting back to his blueline, not even moving his feet, until he realized that Spezza had gotten beat, and then he turned on the jets. When you have a forward back there, you motor back.

4. Kaigorodov make a great move on the goal.

Ultimately, I think Brent Burns was the most at fault, but props to Kaigodorov to get away like that after killing a penalty for many seconds.

Mara

May 10, 2011
EXTREMELY stupid play by the Canadians. Nice shot, he made it look like a pre-game warm up shot.

KilPhessel

Mar 23, 2010
Ontario, Canada
When Burns rushes the Russian player with Phaneuf even deeper in the zone, it's one of the poorest decisions you can make as a defenceman with a one goal lead.

And Spezza playing the puck instead of the man when your the last guy back is one of the poorest decisions you can make as a forward with a one goal lead.

Just a bad effort from all 3 of them.

RStar*

Who is this guy. Can anyone give me a quick bio? Saw the goal when it happened and thought it was sick. Terrible defense by Canada, but doesn't take away from how great a goal it was.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
And Spezza playing the puck instead of the man when your the last guy back is one of the poorest decisions you can make as a forward with a one goal lead.

Just a bad effort from all 3 of them.

sry but at NO point in the game should there be 2 defensemen caught with a forward behind them

too bad kegger could never show that kind of determination at the nhl level. we had high hopes for him

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Who is this guy. Can anyone give me a quick bio? Saw the goal when it happened and thought it was sick. Terrible defense by Canada, but doesn't take away from how great a goal it was.

I remember Kaigorodov back when he was given a try-out to be Ottawa's 2nd line centre.

He didn't make the team and left for the KHL as opposed to riding the bus in Binghamton.

Tavaresmagicalplay*

russian prospect, traded from ottawa to phoenix then went home.

Anyways, they seriously made Bernier the starter? Why? He played half the games of either goalie this year.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I remember Kaigorodov back when he was given a try-out to be Ottawa's 2nd line centre.

He didn't make the team and left for the KHL as opposed to riding the bus in Binghamton.

pretty much this. Ottawa had high hopes for him coming out of the draft but ppl wondered if he was just feeding off of Malkins skill (both were linemates before the draft i guess). He got a few tries in ottawa but he never wanted to put in an effort and then he was traded for comrie

Grabovski

Aug 12, 2009
Hamilton, Ontario
Phaneuf went deep to pinch and took a shot knowing that Burns and Spezza were behind him. The goal was Burns and Spezzas fault. Phaneuf actually skated back hard while Spezza was just striding. Obviously he forgot how horrible Spezza is defensively since he wasn't even covering his man on the GWG also :facepalm:

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Best goal of the tournament so far. He saved Russia's ass, that's for sure.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Phaneuf actually skated back hard while Spezza was just striding.

Wrong.

Watch from 0:05 to 0:07 and tell me how many times Phaneuf moves his feet.

Spezza comes in like gangbusters and misses his guy entirely with a poor move, but his momentum is carrying him into the offensive zone.

Meanwhile, Phaneuf is going in the right direction but his decision to stop skating prevented any chance of him making up the remaining distance.

I agree that he's not at fault as much as Spezza and Burns, but it also prevented any chance of him interfering with Kaigorodov on the remainder of the play.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Obviously he forgot how horrible Spezza is defensively since he wasn't even covering his man on the GWG also :facepalm:

That being the play where Spezza was covering his man at the side of the net, Neal wasn't covering Kovalchuk and Schenn let his man get away from him for the centering pass?

That play?

At least try to be coherent with your Sens hatred.

Tavaresmagicalplay*

Phaneuf went deep to pinch and took a shot knowing that Burns and Spezza were behind him. The goal was Burns and Spezzas fault. Phaneuf actually skated back hard while Spezza was just striding. Obviously he forgot how horrible Spezza is defensively since he wasn't even covering his man on the GWG also :facepalm:
Bad play by all 3 players. Why are you playing like that with the lead? Seriously Phaneuf looks like he wants to see how fast he can do a lap around the ice, Burns makes one of the weakest pinch attempt and Spezza is just Spezza.

Thrillingbroom

Jun 15, 2009
Bad play by all 3 players. Why are you playing like that with the lead? Seriously Phaneuf looks like he wants to see how fast he can do a lap around the ice, Burns makes one of the weakest pinch attempt and Spezza is just Spezza.

It was a powerplay, Phaneuf was the deepest one in and still was the first one back. Phaneuf would have had to make a diving play to stop the goal. Its like blaming Bernier for not making an amazing save on the goal. Phaneuf deserves some blame but not even close to the amount of blame that should be on Spezza and Burns.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Wrong.

Watch from 0:05 to 0:07 and tell me how many times Phaneuf moves his feet.

Spezza comes in like gangbusters and misses his guy entirely with a poor move, but his momentum is carrying him into the offensive zone.

I don't necessarily blame Phanuef for coasting at that point. He saw Spezza coming in and likely assumed he would have taken Kaigorodov out someway or another (not just blow past him completely). I think you'd see most NHL players do the same.

Hindsight being 20/20 I can now say he should have just busted back regardless, but in the flow of the play I can understand why he let up.

What about the forward coasting to the blueline on that play also (far side)? He probably thought the same thing (one of those two are going to stop him). If he was busting back he may have prevented a goal. But this is all nitpicking the video instead of the moment.

Bottom line for me is a play like that shouldn't go by two NHL players. You have to play a bit more conservative in those situations (for Burns and Spezza - in the situations they were in). I cut Spezza a bit more slack because he's a forward, but no way Burns should have jumped up.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I don't necessarily blame Phanuef for coasting at that point. He saw Spezza coming in and likely assumed he would have taken Kaigorodov out someway or another (not just blow past him completely). I think you'd see most NHL players do the same.

Hindsight being 20/20 I can now say he should have just busted back regardless, but in the flow of the play I can understand why he let up.

Well, it reminds me of the infamous 2003 Game 7 NJ-OTT goal where Friesen scored with 2 minutes left.

Havlat stopped skating back because Rachunek and Redden were there. But when they both went after the same guy, suddenly Havlat would have been useful in the defensive zone.

I agree that it's natural, but it's the teams that don't take short cuts that typically win the big games.

Again, Spezza was awful and Burns was worse.

However, IMO there's a certain degree of situational awareness that says, "A forward is the last man back" that should trigger panic to return to your natural position.

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
Kaigorodov had an incredibly good season in the Russian league in the lockout season which prompted a very short period of heavy praise with some very lofty comparisons thrown in. While he was obviously aided by playing on Malkin's line, he did have 16 more points (which is quite a big difference in a more defensive league with shorter seasons) then Malkin (who was #2 on his team in scoring). I think it was just a really flukey career year by a guy that was clearly talented but not greatly so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->