Prospect Info: Kaiden Guhle II

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
For those who follow the WHL. At the same age, is he better than Juulsen was?

their draft years,

Juulsen - 68-9-43-52 42 pims +22
Guhle - 64-11-29-40 56 pims +23

Guhle is bigger, better skater, better mobility. Both were physical players but Guhle looks a good bit more physical. Both were known for their defensive play. Both had questions at the draft about their offensive upside.

Juulsen had a really solid draft year as his team was among the tops in the dub that year, though middle of the pack offensively (they had 4 players with 60 or more pts). PA was good last year but not as good as Everett was in the standings. Their goals per game were also middle of the pack but both teams were 2nd OA in goals against.

Now Juulsen was a late 1st (26th) but in what is shaping up to be perhaps the best draft class since '03. That 1st round is just sick outside the 2 boston picks, the wings 19th OA, Juulsen, and a couple guys picked just after Juulsen in Carlsson (29th) and Merkley (30th) but don't know too much about them. Though to be fair Juulsen has missed a ton of time to injuries, can't speak for the others but that is one hell of a 1st round class. But with Aho, Carlo, and a few others going early 2nd round, there's almost no way even a healthy Juulsen that had even the best development situation would he come close to being what they missed out on and I'm a big Juulsen fan.

Guhle it's tougher to say since he barely had a season this year and we don't know how much or little that will impact him down the road. With prospects I always say it's about the progression and the knock on Juulsen was that the progression wasn't there after his draft year. His team the next year wasn't as good as they lost their top player in Scherbak but either way the progress you want to see wasn't there. He did miss time in his D+2 to injuries if memory serves correctly.

With Guhle he looks a safer bet to be an NHLer, and likely a good bit better as long as he continues to progress. It's too early to say how this draft class will shape up, so we'll need to give it a few years.

I'll say this, I really liked what I saw from Juulsen at 20 in the AHL, despite how unhappy I was that we rushed another prospect to the NHL then. But Guhle in his few AHL games at 18, just wow. If he can progress, man is he going to be good. I wouldn't put a number on it yet since I don't have enough views to go off of other then to say injuries aside there's no way he's not at worst a solid bottom pairing D in a few years and if everything goes right then maybe they do have a young Weber like D in a few years.

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
So, in your opinion, he has more potential to bring some offense to the next level ? Or not really.
A lot of production from a defenseman comes simply from being good enough on defense to earn ice time. Another way is to have a good point shot. Remember Sheldon Souray, he never had great puck skills but still managed to score 30 goals. Shea Weber is another in that style.

667ekip

Apr 17, 2021
their draft years,

Juulsen - 68-9-43-52 42 pims +22
Guhle - 64-11-29-40 56 pims +23

Guhle is bigger, better skater, better mobility. Both were physical players but Guhle looks a good bit more physical. Both were known for their defensive play. Both had questions at the draft about their offensive upside.

Juulsen had a really solid draft year as his team was among the tops in the dub that year, though middle of the pack offensively (they had 4 players with 60 or more pts). PA was good last year but not as good as Everett was in the standings. Their goals per game were also middle of the pack but both teams were 2nd OA in goals against.

Now Juulsen was a late 1st (26th) but in what is shaping up to be perhaps the best draft class since '03. That 1st round is just sick outside the 2 boston picks, the wings 19th OA, Juulsen, and a couple guys picked just after Juulsen in Carlsson (29th) and Merkley (30th) but don't know too much about them. Though to be fair Juulsen has missed a ton of time to injuries, can't speak for the others but that is one hell of a 1st round class. But with Aho, Carlo, and a few others going early 2nd round, there's almost no way even a healthy Juulsen that had even the best development situation would he come close to being what they missed out on and I'm a big Juulsen fan.

Guhle it's tougher to say since he barely had a season this year and we don't know how much or little that will impact him down the road. With prospects I always say it's about the progression and the knock on Juulsen was that the progression wasn't there after his draft year. His team the next year wasn't as good as they lost their top player in Scherbak but either way the progress you want to see wasn't there. He did miss time in his D+2 to injuries if memory serves correctly.

With Guhle he looks a safer bet to be an NHLer, and likely a good bit better as long as he continues to progress. It's too early to say how this draft class will shape up, so we'll need to give it a few years.

I'll say this, I really liked what I saw from Juulsen at 20 in the AHL, despite how unhappy I was that we rushed another prospect to the NHL then. But Guhle in his few AHL games at 18, just wow. If he can progress, man is he going to be good. I wouldn't put a number on it yet since I don't have enough views to go off of other then to say injuries aside there's no way he's not at worst a solid bottom pairing D in a few years and if everything goes right then maybe they do have a young Weber like D in a few years.

You made me realize how Boston could be a powerhouse if they took the next 3 players in the draft instead of their pick, Dayum, must not be fun looking back at it. Thanks for your input.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

I think that would be huge for Guhle who was one of the better D in Laval last year. He'd be a top 4 and hopefully expedite his path to the NHL.

I never liked the rule that juniors HAD to play in the CHL or NHL while AHL was not an option. Good to her and hope they make these exemptions more common in the future.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I think that would be huge for Guhle who was one of the better D in Laval last year. He'd be a top 4 and hopefully expedite his path to the NHL.

I never liked the rule that juniors HAD to play in the CHL or NHL while AHL was not an option. Good to her and hope they make these exemptions more common in the future.
I wish he could be in Laval but with him only playing 3 games, doesn't sound like he'll qualify

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006

If he does play in the AHL, hopefully the Habs will loan him to Team Canada. He'd be in the running for team captain and would be a top 2 D for Canada.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Be awesome if he makes the Big Club out of camp
He is already better than Merrill and Guf.

Plus having NHL in his DNA is a bonus
I am telling you it would not surprise me. I think he replaces Chiarot next season...he is that promising.

Reactions: Redux91

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

He didn't play anywhere near 20 games so he sadly won't be eligible. Mysak is on the other hand.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I wish he could be in Laval but with him only playing 3 games, doesn't sound like he'll qualify
I think you're right, though Mysak could. He played 22 games.

Still hate that rule. Sure it protects the CHL from losing players, but it could hinder those in between players development. Open up all 3 levels and sort accordingly.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Really interesting to see how Guhle's offense develops. He's got a helluva shot and actually flashes some good mitts at times. Hoping he can take the question marks out of his transition game that some seem to have when drafted. Otherwise he could be a stud.

I only saw him at the WJCs but he was fantastic defensively. Top pairing upside imo.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'm curious if they will bring Norlinder for the main camp. Because generally, they let their European players stay in Europe since their leagues start before. But I don't recall if any of them were under contract already like Norlinder is.

I also don't know how it works since he's under contract with Frolunda for another year. I don't know if he has an NHL-out clause.

is there going to be a post draft development camp this year?

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
It would be cool to see these two make a pitch for regular roster spots. I would like to see an uptick in mobility and offensive acumen in the backend. Hopefully not at Romanov's expense.

I wouldn't be surprised if they turn some heads at least and have us seriously consider it.

I do think you want to see Norlinder have a real impressive year in the SHL first.

Wouldn't be surprised if Guhle comes real close.

Hoping Romanov can take a big leap next year. He may need a few though but hoping we can see some solid improvement from him.

Brook too will likely get a few joe muggs. Hope he can shore up his D which seems a little suspect in the few times I saw him. Really hope he can round out his game because he's got decent offensive upside.

Fun to see our intriguing D prospects getting closer.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
I am telling you it would not surprise me. I think he replaces Chiarot next season...he is that promising.

I was so surprised with how intelligently he plays. If he can round out his offensive abilities like Weber did, he could seriously be a top pairing D complementing a offensive PMD on his pairing. I still think Romanov will be a great 2nd pairing D. Habs need to hit on either Harris, Struble, Norlinder, Brook, etc. Hamilton or Jones would look good in a Habs uniform imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad