Kaepernick agent: No return calls from Jets, Saints and Steelers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Tell me, why on earth would a company pay a man around 10 million for his silence? Companies don't get and stay rich by giving multi-million dollar settlements to anyone who complains.

Who knows why he settled exactly. It's an nda, so all we can do is speculate.

Jay Z is a sell out himself. Him cutting a deal with the nfl is just him being him. The nfl cutting the deal is good for their image. Simple as that.

Kaepernick's image and merch is huge with a demographic you probably couldn't care less about, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Just ask Nike.

And what do you mean by people like me? Someone who is actially well-versed in US history? A non-white? Something else??

1) The NFL is more of a coalition than company but either way a couple million dollars is nothing to an 18 billion dollar enterprise. They will make that by lunch today, if not sooner. There are plenty of companies/enterprises who settle suits just to get it out of the newscycle and to move forward., as I stated before the NFLs 100th season is a big deal to them and they didn't want any distractions / negative media coverage, even if it was minimal. They also likely knew that even in court it wasn't going to cost them a ton of money and that Kaepernick would settle for a modest amount.

2) Not denying Jay Z is a sellout, but he only did so after Kaep sold out and took the NFLs offer. AFter that, it would have been hard for him to campaign and lobby on his behalf.

3) What I meant was someone who has made it into a bigger deal than it should be. There are plenty of us who understand why Kaep never got another job - calling cops pigs, being a Fidel Castro fan, the media circus etc. Some owners didn't like the whole kneeling thing and there is 0 issue with that. If a guy like Russell Wilson had done the same thing as Kaep, the Seahawks would have just dealt with the media circus and all the mess/backlash that followed. Why? Because he is an elite QB who is worth any distractions. Teams are not going to put with that mess for a player of Kaepernicks skill/stature, good for him that he was well known enough to make his kneeling a headline but too bad he wast good enough for the Yorks to keep him around (yes he asked for a release but lets be honest, theyw ere going to cut him anyway) or for another team to say "fine, we'll deal with the media circus, he does a lot for us on the field"

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
It doesn't make sense in his financial position to play CFL football though. Too risky for a guy worth tens of millions of dollars.

I remember a quote by Corey Dillon: "I like playing football, but I wouldn't do it for free. I'm not in it for the glory."

Is he really worth that much? Probably never playing in the NFL again + his Nike deal wouldn't magically disappear. Not like he's Ricky Williams whos in line for a big contract when hes done in the CFL.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
It doesn't make sense in his financial position to play CFL football though. Too risky for a guy worth tens of millions of dollars.

I remember a quote by Corey Dillon: "I like playing football, but I wouldn't do it for free. I'm not in it for the glory."

Whats his other option? Clearly NFL teams are not gunna give him a chance. At this point its been 3 years and he wasnt that good to begin with his last couple years. If he really wants to play football, he will go play in the CFL

member 157595

Is he really worth that much? Probably never playing in the NFL again + his Nike deal wouldn't magically disappear. Not like he's Ricky Williams whos in line for a big contract when hes done in the CFL.

I would assume he's worth many millions unless he's stupid with his money. I'm not him or his accountant though.

Whats his other option? Clearly NFL teams are not gunna give him a chance. At this point its been 3 years and he wasnt that good to begin with his last couple years. If he really wants to play football, he will go play in the CFL

I really don't think he wants to play football all that much, to be honest. But it's just speculation on my part.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I would assume he's worth many millions unless he's stupid with his money. I'm not him or his accountant though.

I really don't think he wants to play football all that much, to be honest. But it's just speculation on my part.

What is the risk then? I had presumed you meant he was risking his financial future, which he wouldn't be by playing in the CFL.

If anything his Nike deal would allow him to play for less in the CFL since he's still raking in decent money.

member 157595

What is the risk then? I had presumed you meant he was risking his financial future, which he wouldn't be by playing in the CFL.

If anything his Nike deal would allow him to play for less in the CFL since he's still raking in decent money.

The risk of him playing in the CFL is that he would be putting himself through significant physical pain for little guaranteed financial gain, since it's no sure thing a NFL team picks him up his hypothetical CFL stint is done.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016

I agree too. I dont think he really wants to play which is the main issue. It is 100% not worth the headache for any team to give thia guy a chance. It seems like he is just trying to stay relevant

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The risk of him playing in the CFL is that he would be putting himself through significant physical pain for little guaranteed financial gain, since it's no sure thing a NFL team picks him up his hypothetical CFL stint is done.

Then he doesn't truly want to play football. An NFL team is probably not picking him up one or the other, and if really cared about playing he would explore going to the CFL. Sure its less $$ than the NFL but its a chance to play with little scrutiny.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
1) The NFL is more of a coalition than company but either way a couple million dollars is nothing to an 18 billion dollar enterprise. They will make that by lunch today, if not sooner. There are plenty of companies/enterprises who settle suits just to get it out of the newscycle and to move forward., as I stated before the NFLs 100th season is a big deal to them and they didn't want any distractions / negative media coverage, even if it was minimal. They also likely knew that even in court it wasn't going to cost them a ton of money and that Kaepernick would settle for a modest amount.

2) Not denying Jay Z is a sellout, but he only did so after Kaep sold out and took the NFLs offer. AFter that, it would have been hard for him to campaign and lobby on his behalf.

3) What I meant was someone who has made it into a bigger deal than it should be. There are plenty of us who understand why Kaep never got another job - calling cops pigs, being a Fidel Castro fan, the media circus etc. Some owners didn't like the whole kneeling thing and there is 0 issue with that. If a guy like Russell Wilson had done the same thing as Kaep, the Seahawks would have just dealt with the media circus and all the mess/backlash that followed. Why? Because he is an elite QB who is worth any distractions. Teams are not going to put with that mess for a player of Kaepernicks skill/stature, good for him that he was well known enough to make his kneeling a headline but too bad he wast good enough for the Yorks to keep him around (yes he asked for a release but lets be honest, theyw ere going to cut him anyway) or for another team to say "fine, we'll deal with the media circus, he does a lot for us on the field"
Agree to diagree in some areas, homie.

One love.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Realistically, there's nothing that would satiate Kap fans (or for that matter anti-kap folk).

He likely isn't a starter in this league, if he comes in and proves that, the debate would be "well, 3 years ago would have been a different story!!" If he comes in and kills it, even for a half, it would bring out the "i told you so" crowd.

If the rumours about Denver and Baltimore are true, then i mean, he shot himself in the foot.

I'm ALL for the kneeling thing. It was about social injustices, and I applaud anyone who uses their platform. The pig socks, the Castro shirt, the girlfriend, the expecting to be a starter when he had already been regulated to back-up. Ehh, not a lot there for me be really in his corner over as a PLAYER.

Kap has my respect as a citizen, as a human, as an activist, if you want to call him that, but if I own a team, I'm not signing him for the same reason i'm not signing AB. The headache. And of those players is a world-class talent.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Realistically, there's nothing that would satiate Kap fans (or for that matter anti-kap folk).

He likely isn't a starter in this league, if he comes in and proves that, the debate would be "well, 3 years ago would have been a different story!!" If he comes in and kills it, even for a half, it would bring out the "i told you so" crowd.

If the rumours about Denver and Baltimore are true, then i mean, he shot himself in the foot.

I'm ALL for the kneeling thing. It was about social injustices, and I applaud anyone who uses their platform. The pig socks, the Castro shirt, the girlfriend, the expecting to be a starter when he had already been regulated to back-up. Ehh, not a lot there for me be really in his corner over as a PLAYER.

Kap has my respect as a citizen, as a human, as an activist, if you want to call him that, but if I own a team, I'm not signing him for the same reason i'm not signing AB. The headache. And of those players is a world-class talent.
What did he do to Denver besides not take a ridiculous paycut? Baltimore was them looking for an out/his girlfriend running her mouth. He boned himself with Miami, though.

I agree with what you said last, unfortunately, and that's where a lot of my problem lies. AB is a selfish malcontent that seems to be a bad person off the field. The fact they're lumped together says a lot about what prople think about the cause he brought attention to, imo.

Oct 18, 2011
I wish he would swallow his pride and play in the CFL, put some fresh tape out there for everyone to see. He's giving teams a reason to rationalize him not getting signed by now being 3 years out of the league

not saying it's right or fair, but you gotta play..make these people look so bad they have to sign you

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
If those teams were interested in Kap they would have contacted his agent in the first place. No reason for the agent to call first. That's a sign of desperation.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
Saw CK play on the 49ers in that last year he wasn't good at all...maybe king of the garbage points and TDs after the games were already over. Rating can easily be inflated by guys who don't want to ever win the game at any point and all of a sudden the throws are there when the defense is playing prevent and all your guys get wide open short because no one on the D cares if you catch it over the middle any more. He's basically Tyrod Taylor with 1000x the baggage. In 4 of their losses in 2015 they put up a measley 7, 3, 3, and 6 points from an offense led by him and they were 2-6 before he got benched for Gabbert who didn't have the 49ers have a horrid game on offense afterwards and weren't held to single digits for the rest of the season back in 2015.

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Saw CK play on the 49ers in that last year he wasn't good at all...maybe king of the garbage points and TDs after the games were already over. Rating can easily be inflated by guys who don't want to ever win the game at any point and all of a sudden the throws are there when the defense is playing prevent and all your guys get wide open short because no one on the D cares if you catch it over the middle any more. He's basically Tyrod Taylor with 1000x the baggage. In 4 of their losses in 2015 they put up a measley 7, 3, 3, and 6 points from an offense led by him and they were 2-6 before he got benched for Gabbert who didn't have the 49ers have a horrid game on offense afterwards and weren't held to single digits for the rest of the season back in 2015.

The TD number isn't even impressive. It's the 4 picks that is when he's on such a garbage team or any team for that matter. Nobody saying he is a perfect QB. The only point that needs to be made is that he was good enough to start in enough places that you can't argue his skill is why no one wanted him.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
He was good enough to compete for a starting job which is not what he wanted and at end of day a backup QB/so so #1 is not worth the headache of signing him or bringing him in. His GF and supporters antics when Ravens were looking to bring him in and the Castro debacle showed exactly the type of nonsense that made it not worth it

His agent and his actions with this "No teams are returning calls" to try and draw attention when they have fallen into obscurity at this point shows exactly why NFL teams are staying away. Trying to create a media circus and get in news by bringing up a nonsense "Why not Kaep" when no team is going to sign and play a guy who hasn't played a game in 3 years and in these situations not a single one makes sense as Saints have a quality backup + Brees will be back. Darnold will be back with Jets and Steelers are going with kid to see what they got in him

Also he had chance to go to Denver and be starter. He is the one who killed deal

Last edited:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
And as pointed out QB's who had better or comparable to his final year lost starting jobs and were released having to sign as backups so why should Kaepernick have been any different?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
What did he do to Denver besides not take a ridiculous paycut? Baltimore was them looking for an out/his girlfriend running her mouth. He boned himself with Miami, though.

I agree with what you said last, unfortunately, and that's where a lot of my problem lies. AB is a selfish malcontent that seems to be a bad person off the field. The fact they're lumped together says a lot about what prople think about the cause he brought attention to, imo.

Yea well instead of taking a payout he ended up getting released and got nothing.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
He opted out to test fa.

He started in SF the same season he would have started in Denver, so I have no clue why the hell people keep bringing that up as if it means a damn thing.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
He opted out to test fa.

He started in SF the same season he would have started in Denver, so I have no clue why the hell people keep bringing that up as if it means a damn thing.

SF had already signaled they intended to terminate his contract following that season. Which is why they renegotiated his contract to remove the final year guarantee before the season started.

At least Denver would have been a clean slate where he may have played out the 2 years plus the potential for an extension if he did well.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
16/4 td/int with Jeremy Goddamn Kerley as his #1, along with 6.8 ypc with a trash oline. All that having missed the first 5 games and all of training camp recovering from 3 offseason surgeries.

Those aren't impressive or noteworthy numbers when you the team wasn't really in or competing in most games, he accumulated some stats in a lot of garbage time.

And I'm fine with that response because it at least acknowledges the fact he was blackballed. And I agree they can do that by rule as long as they don't outwardly say so.

I think most if not all teams independently reached the conclusion that Kap just wasn't worth the headache that would come to your organization by bringing him on. Not rocket science. This was the beginning of the Donald Trump era and a very polarizing political spectrum that would cripple an organization trying to focus on a game vs answering questions about politics and what not.

So he could get a jump on fa. SF wasn't bringing him back.

The truth is right there if people really want to see it, yet they keep trying to rewrite the story.

Well which one is it? 'SF didn't really want him either'. Let me guess, SF didn't want him because they were just colluding with the other owners and teams and not because they were looking to upgrade at the QB position...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad