Confirmed with Link: Kadri Suspended 3 Games

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Hopefully they just stick it out and worse case scenario we lose a ton of games until we get guys back. Nonis put us up against the cap and under-manned us knowingly so if he makes trade decisions based on injuries and suspensions well that's not great management.

:shakehead

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It should be a penalty not a suspension. I can't believe people think him twisting off balance and reflex bracing while jumping away after buddy stuck his head out and his stick should be a suspension.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
It might be the body of his work in the game that gets the final decision on his discipline.

I doubt they can do it like that. They can't suspend him for being a jerk all game. I'd imagine the PA would have something to say if they were suspending him for anything other than specific incidents.

bankerwannabe*

Just to prove a point and say "hey we're not homer leaf fans" some leafs fans are going on the main board and saying Kadri should be suspended for 5+ games. Its amazing lol.

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
Kadri is just not very bright. Like most of the team, it's not been a good year for him. Looking forward to playing to next 2 or 3 games with Jay McClement as the best actual centre in the lineup. :facepalm:

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
Just to prove a point and say "hey we're not homer leaf fans" some leafs fans are going on the main board and saying Kadri should be suspended for 5+ games. Its amazing lol.

They can't just believe that he deserves a suspension, they have to be proving a point? We're not the Borg and don't have a collective mind. Nothing really that amazing about someone having a different opinion then yours.

Pitt the Elder

Nov 7, 2013
Oakville, ON
The hit on Backstrom was dirty, and deserves at least a couple games.

Granlund put himself in the situation and Kadri got a penalty anyway. That one the punishment fit the crime.

headwire

Jan 25, 2012
Toronto
All match penalties are reviewed automatically by Shanahan.

It might be the body of his work in the game that gets the final decision on his discipline.

Another poster mentioned that the match penalty against Kadri had been rescinded by the league, but I can find no evidence of that and the boxscore still shows a match penalty. However, nhl.com only mentions that Kadri is to have a hearing about the hit on Backstrom http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=691476&navid=nhl:topheads

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
You're sounding like a serious homer right now. Again, you're in for a shock.

Lucic vs. Miller was dirty, this, no way. When you are moving at speed off balance it's hard to get out the way.

His alternatives, jump into him(full weight + momentum), jump over him (risk knee to head) or brace and divert your kinetic energy with your hands. Any human being will brace with hands instinctively as a first resort.

End of story.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
To me it didn't look like Kadri intended to deliver a headshot to Backstrom. He was looking towards the point for a tip and, as he said, ran out of real estate. Backstrom was on his knees, at Kadri's elbow height, and Kadri realized at the last moment that a collision was about to occur and braced himself.

If Backstrom is stood up (I'm not blaming him in this situation) and Kadri hits him in the shoulder, a deserved goaltender interference penalty call is made, Backstrom continues in the game and all is fine. But the injury on the play is what is causing this suspension talk, which sucks because it was a complete accident. Much like if two opposing forwards accidentally collided in neutral ice. An unfortunate, unintended injury.

The only way I can see a suspension occurring for the Backstrom hit is a) due to the injury and b) as a message about protecting goaltenders.

Wami

Chicken Lyfe'
Mar 8, 2013
He's getting suspended, it's his responsibility to not 'run out of real estate' and be aware of where the blue paint is. I love the guy, and despite the two games I know he's going to get, I believe that this is the exact style of play that he needs to bring game in and game out. We win that game with Kadri still in it, and we win every other game like it too. The kid has shown this year especially that he can literally be everywhere on the ice and be a huge spark for his team.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He's getting suspended, it's his responsibility to not 'run out of real estate' and be aware of where the blue paint is. I love the guy, and despite the two games I know he's going to get, I believe that this is the exact style of play that he needs to bring game in and game out. We win that game with Kadri still in it, and we win every other game like it too. The kid has shown this year especially that he can literally be everywhere on the ice and be a huge spark for his team.

Did you see Back commit with his stick lunging forward? It's an unfortunate collision and certainly interference but outside that was nothing sinister.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
He's getting suspended, it's his responsibility to not 'run out of real estate' and be aware of where the blue paint is.

Isn't that what goaltender interference penalties are for?

I don't agree with this eye-for-an-eye suspension-for-injury mindset, especially when it was unintended and not malicious in nature.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
The match penalty for the hit on Granlund was an absolute joke, and it certainly doesn't warrant a suspension.

The penalty for the hit on Backstrom was sufficient punishment for the infraction.

Considering that Kadri is a first time offender, he really shouldn't get anything beyond a slap on the wrist for his actions last night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->