Proposal: Kadri for Spurgeon?

Grimmas

Mar 13, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Leafs get someone to play on the top unit with Reilly. Wild get a 2nd line, maybe even 1st line center to fix that situation on a great deal for more years.

I'm not sure about Wild's situation, but I heard they may move Spurgeon and need C help.

Nylander played really great on 3rd line C last night.

I heard this on The Leafs Report as speculation and it seems interesting.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Leafs get someone to play on the top unit with Reilly. Wild get a 2nd line, maybe even 1st line center to fix that situation on a great deal for more years.

I'm not sure about Wild's situation, but I heard they may move Spurgeon and need C help.

As good of an add as Spurgeon would be, trading Kadri for a guy with 1 year left on his deal would be very poor asset management.
Leafs would be much better off trading him for someone with term.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis

Kadri is a good player on a decent contract, but trading Spurgeon is basically a huge signal we are blowing it up. We would be trading Spurgeon for futures if anything. I don't see this happening.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
A year ago I thought it made some sense for Minnesota, but at this point it really doesn't. Our center situation is still a mess, but it's a mess that doesn't really cry out for Kadri.

Plus Kadri's contract really does make him a good fit for Toronto. If they want RD it seems like dealing from their prospect depth makes more sense. Not for Spurgeon, though.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
As good of an add as Spurgeon would be, trading Kadri for a guy with 1 year left on his deal would be very poor asset management.
Leafs would be much better off trading him for someone with term.
Why could they not re-sign Spurgeon after? Seems that value is close and it would give the Leafs two very solid cup runs.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
If the Wild are moving Spurgeon they aren't planning to be as competitive as possible in the short term. So they would want to focus on youth.

Also Spurgeon is the Wild's best trade asset at this point. They should be getting more than Kadri back even with Fenton being at the helm.

Grimmas

Mar 13, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

If they are up against the cap next year and then they take 6.25 million off the books the year after and only have to resign Dermott and bottom line guys. The cap is raising too. Dermott doesn't make 6 and I don't see Muzzin/Spurgeon both getting a total of 6 million in raises.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
If they are up against the cap next year and then they take 6.25 million off the books the year after and only have to resign Dermott and bottom line guys. The cap is raising too. Dermott doesn't make 6 and I don't see Muzzin/Spurgeon both getting a total of 6 million in raises.
Pretty sure he's the guy that doesn't want Spurgeon because he's bad at defense.

If he isn't I apologize for hanging that idiocy around his neck.

Edit: oh no, he isn't! The idiocy was mine all alooooong

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
If the Wild are moving Spurgeon they aren't planning to be as competitive as possible in the short term. So they would want to focus on youth.

Also Spurgeon is the Wild's best trade asset at this point. They should be getting more than Kadri back even with Fenton being at the helm.

I just can't see a guy with 1 year on his deal returning MORE than a #1B C in their prime signed on a sweetheart deal. Especially when you look at the two previous trades the Wild have made under Fenton.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Leafs biggest needs are size and toughness... weak spots are LW and RD

okay on the RD aspect, but, Kadri is perhaps the Leafs only forward with any edge, so, its a No Go based on need.
no reason to even consider value, because unless it was hugely in favor of Toronto, Kadri's loss is way too big a loss to absorb.
...if it was for Dumba, then it would be something to discuss

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

okay on the RD aspect, but, Kadri is perhaps the Leafs only forward with any edge, so, its a No Go based on need.
no reason to even consider value, because unless it was hugely in favor of Toronto, Kadri's loss is way too big a loss to absorb.

Saying “Kadri for Dumba would be something to discuss from the Leafs perspective” is like saying “Spurgeon for Marner would be something to discuss from the Wild’s perspective”. Duh.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
I just can't see a guy with 1 year on his deal returning MORE than a #1B C in their prime signed on a sweetheart deal. Especially when you look at the two previous trades the Wild have made under Fenton.
Kadri is being outscored by Spurgeon, he's not a 1B center, he's a 2c being forced down the lineup due to organizational depth, which is fine but it's going to hurt his value. No one is looking at what a guy coming to the end of his prime did 2 seasons ago to base their trade value.

The difference between trading Spurgeon and the Wild's recent trades is Spurgeon is having a great season, the other guys weren't similar to how Kadri is having a down season..

Goose312

May 15, 2015

And that thread has been beat to death, Kadri doesn't get you close to Dumba, it would take one of your young studs for our young studs, but because your young studs are on the Leafs they are far too valuable to be worth our young stud, blah blah blah, we aren't giving you Dumba for your expendable players.

Reactions: DemidovSaveUs

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Kadri is being outscored by Spurgeon, he's not a 1B center, he's a 2c being forced down the lineup due to organizational depth, which is fine but it's going to hurt his value. No one is looking at what a guy coming to the end of his prime did 2 seasons ago to base their trade value.

The difference between trading Spurgeon and the Wild's recent trades is Spurgeon is having a great season, the other guys weren't similar to how Kadri is having a down season..

He's playing 3rd line C minutes of course he is going to have his numbers regress. He was used in a top 6 role the past two seasons and scored back to back 30 goals. He's as much of a 2nd line C as guys like Duchene(having a career year in contract year) and Turris are 2 C's.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Leafs have lots of money after next season, thanks to Marleau coming off the books.

Yup. I'd do this deal if Spurgeon was signed for 2 more, not 1 since Kadri's under contract for 3 more. but it's a fair trade.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Leafs have lots of money after next season, thanks to Marleau coming off the books.
Yeh but Matthews/Marner/Nylander/Kapanen/AJ will be in their full cap hits and I'm sure they'd like to re-sign Muzzin.
If TO trades Kadri, it will likely be for a guy with a similar term and cap hit.

patriotfan

Jun 8, 2014

not kadri but gardiner and a pick.....now were talking

Reactions: Marner4Life

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->