Proposal: Kadri for Montour

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Individual players aside, talking holistically losing a top 4 D is more critical then losing a 3C.......neither team has replacements. The Ducks couldn't do this trade even more then the Leafs.

Reactions: Sojourn

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Ducks say no because it hurts their right side D way more than the difference between adding Kadri to Getzlaf/Kesler/Henrique.

Leafs say no because the drop after Kadri to the next proven C (3rd or 4th line in the system) is huge in comparison to adding Montour. More so than letting Lily develop for another year and re-evaluate.

Reactions: Getz2perry

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah, you've really shown in the past to have a good grasp of young players in the Ducks system.

you must be talking about Lindholm, as I've never been shy in my praise for the likes of Gibson, Manson, and Rakell.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Solid hockeydb scouting report.
Let's see... 5th on the Ducks last year in TOI%QoC, tied for 4th in CF%QoC, 32 points in the NHL as a career high while he's the same age as guys like Rielly, Jones and Lindholm. He doesn't face top QoC on the Ducks and put up a decent season offensively in that sheltered usage. He's not worth a low end 1C/high end 2C like Kadri at this moment, that much is clear.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Let's see... 5th on the Ducks last year in TOI%QoC, tied for 4th in CF%QoC, 32 points in the NHL as a career high while he's the same age as guys like Rielly, Jones and Lindholm. He doesn't face top QoC on the Ducks and put up a decent season offensively in that sheltered usage. He's not worth a low end 1C/high end 2C like Kadri at this moment, that much is clear.

Career high? It was his first full season lol. Also those who know Montour know his age is quite irrelevant as his trajectory is as atypical as it gets.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
eh. Montour was an ok borderline top 4 dman for the ducks this year. nothing more. he would not be a big loss.
I think if were talking about not being a big loss... the drop off from Montour to Sustr/Welinski/Schenn is pretty big... even if your not high on Montour.

That being said, it was Montour's 1st full season, and RC had him on a pretty tight leash... hes def a player that will benefit more when hes allowed to play more his style of game(Ive said before, hed prob do really well on a team with more offensive fire power like Toronto/Oilers etc). He is probably a lot better then people would like to give credit for, a lot of people just click look at his age and assume he doesn't have that much potential(not specifically directed at you) ... but I think he is going to have a really strong season this year, and really start showing why a lot of duck fans are very high on him, and why the team was willing to move guys like Vatanen/Theodore etc and hold on to him.

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
Before making any moves for defense imo we should see if last game was a fluke from Sandin and Liljegren or if they can bring it every day. They both looked like legitimate NHLers out there and if they keep it up they deserve 9 game stints

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Career high? it was his 1st full nhl season... thanks stat guru, and your shocked he was sheltered a bit by a coach like RC? Not sure why you are trying to compare Montour to guys like Rielly/jones/Lindholm who were all top 5 picks(exception being Lindholm who was seen as a 15-19 pick, ducks just went off the board), he was a late 2nd round pick that the ducks had to take time and develop his game a bit. Honestly his 1st full season was pretty impressive, and there is a reason people are stoked about him.

Rookie dmen sheltered behind Lindholm Fowler and Manson.... what a shocker its almost like the coach decided to rely on his big guns instead of a 1st year player breaking into the league.

Either way were not going to trade Montour with Sustr/Welinski/Schenn as our only other RHD outside of Manson.... hes very important to the team.

Also kadri isn't really a need... we have Getzlaf/Kesler/Henrique and then guys like Lundestrom/Steel(who both look like they could earn a shot this season), and a guy that put up similar stats to Johnsson in the AHL the last 2 years in Kossila. Just like leaf fans want to see what they have with their young dmen, Anaheim should do the same with their young centers.

Only way I could see ducks and leafs making a move right now is if Toronto wanted a little more physicality in the line up and was interested in Ritchie.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
We can’t really lose a decently priced young guy especially a RD and spend more

Even if Kesler is hurt due to budget issues.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
TSN JDog routinely makes leafs fans look bad.
This is just another terrible idea.
Maybe it's because i don't do the Leafs board thing that i, in no way, shape or form, feel any connection to the dog or his/her shtick.
As for the proposal, Leafs can't afford to trade a top 6 C and Anaheim can't afford to trade a top 4 D. So yet another swing and a miss basically, regardless of value.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
I'd rather the centre depth. Kadri's contract is near immovable from this team with the impending cap crunch. Montour is great but it'll be our offense depth that makes us special not getting rid of a key cog for some more stability in front of freddy. Not sure why we need another Dman... we got 105 pts and then got Tavares.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

Kadri isn’t a low end 1C. Don’t kid yourself. For that label, he actually needs to show that, you know, he can be a quality 1C which he has never done over a full season. It’s no coincidence his career highs have come when he was further down the depth chart, with other players doing the heavy offensive lifting.

As for Montour, he just had his first full season. It’s a bit rich to call that his career high when it’s basically the start of his NHL career.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
I dont wanna get between Leafs and Ducks fans in this discussion but defensemen usually takes longer to develop. Its pretty normal for defensemen to spend some time in the AHL or in college. And btw Jones was pretty sheltered in Nashville for 2,5 years.

Montour developed in college and the AHL, last season was his first full NHL season. He was also drafted a year later than Jones. And no one is saying Montour is Seth Jones, Kadri wouldnt get you anything close to Seth Jones in a trade.

Last edited:

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Because having an actual number 1 center ahead of him like Matthews, of course, has no significance at all on my statement.

I think I’ll stick to what I said, and you can continue to smell the truth.
Problem is, what you said is absolute bullshit. You can always tell the people who check stats...then spew out alternative facts about the Leafs...yup, Matthews was 1C last season. So, folks who have no clue say "well Kadri had Marner (61 points) and JVR (61 points) to play with!!!" Ummm, nope....that would be Bozak. Kadri was blessed with Marleau and Komarov....it wasn't until February, when then slumping Marner was put on Kadri's line....and what do you know....Marner's stats took a massive jump. But that was probably due to Marleau doing the heavy lifting....right?:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad