Proposal: Kadri for Manson

stymie

Oct 15, 2014
Straight up.

I am more comfortable with a wait and see approach for the bottom 2 centres than I am with waiting on the RD to develop.
Ducks at least get an offer for something they need & not magic beans. Quality for quality.

Let'er rip.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Don't hate it from a Leaf pov, but I'm more inclined to just wait for now and trade for a stopgap with futures when they become available (and they will as teams settle into the buyer & seller roles)

this Leafs team coasted to the post season last year with the same defence corps and the offense has been upgraded, I don't think waiting until towards the TDL makes much of a difference

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Straight up.

I am more comfortable with a wait and see approach for the bottom 2 centres than I am with waiting on the RD to develop.
Ducks at least get an offer for something they need & not magic beans. Quality for quality.

Let'er rip.

Anahiem has Getzlaf, Kesler, and Henrique, and you want to send them Kadri?

It doesn't address their needs in the least.

Anaheim hangs up, and laughs. Anaheim has no reason to trade Manson.

But, this Leafs fan would love to have Manson, exactly what we need, he just isn't available, unless you massively overpay.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
One of the few guys I’d consider trading Kadri for, he’s literally everything we need in a Dman.

Losing Kadri would hurt a lot though, and we’d need to look for a 3rd Line C

Kadri is also on a sweetheart deal, which would make it even harder to let go of him

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
As a Leaf fan I do it. Anaheim laughs and hangs up though.

Only consider I would have from a Leafs POV, is that I don't know what we would do center wise. We would have no one to play 3C, and I'm not sure how many teams are willing to move their centre depth in August.

Obviously the value is in our favour, but I'm not sure we can do this deal without figureing out a solution to replace Kadri beforehand.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I can only see Anaheim parting with Manson if it was in a deal for a 1C caliber prospect.
value wise, wouldn't it make more sense to deal for a sure 1B/2A center like Kadri than a prospect with potential to be better but risk of being nothing and a likely result of being worse than Kadri, while also missing the team's current compete window while he develops?

I think if they're dealing Manson for a center it would be for the best current NHL'er they can get personally. If they're rebuilding, Manson is young enough to be around after it and Ana has older assets that they can use for pick/prospect returns

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Anahiem has Getzlaf, Kesler, and Henrique, and you want to send them Kadri?

It doesn't address their needs in the least.

Anaheim hangs up, and laughs. Anaheim has no reason to trade Manson.

But, this Leafs fan would love to have Manson, exactly what we need, he just isn't available, unless you massively overpay.

Kesler is done and Henrique is better at LW though

Once

Jul 16, 2010
The leafs finally get the centre depth they could only dream of 8 years ago and there are 5+ kadri proposal threads.

The leafs biggest hole is that top RHD but it is not necessary if we have to create another hole. The team is fine as is. Let the season begin and then reevaluate.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Only consider I would have from a Leafs POV, is that I don't know what we would do center wise. We would have no one to play 3C, and I'm not sure how many teams are willing to move their centre depth in August.

Obviously the value is in our favour, but I'm not sure we can do this deal without figureing out a solution to replace Kadri beforehand.
I won't argue this, but i think it would be easier to land a 3C than a guy like Manson. That said, i think Ducks pass quickly.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
It's not a horrible trade, better than a lot I see on here.

It would hurt the Leafs in the middle, we need to keep building through the centre ice position. However, Manson is amazing, but the Ducks have zero reason to trade him, so it would be a no from both sides.

Plus you would need to add a little to Kadri, maybe just a prospect or pick.

Reactions: olli and coupe93

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Value looks good to me. Both are very good players on very good contracts with similar terms. I would much rather go after Manson than say, Trouba, for that reason.

Not thrilled with what our centre depth turns into, but Manson would certainly be a fantastic solution for our defense.

I'm not sure Kadri fits the Ducks needs. Even if I think Kesler is done, Henrique can fill their #2C spot adequately and they don't need to subtract from the D to push Henrique down to #3 again. It's just kind of rearranging the deck chairs and creating a hole at RD.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Easy pass from Anaheim, really doesn't consider their needs at all.

Newflash, the Ducks only have four D capable of top four minutes, and they have Getzlaf/Henrique/Kesler down the middle plus our top prospect is as center as well. These constant offers that ask the Ducks to open a gaping hole in their blueline for the forward you'd be most willing to give up, are really pointless and misguided.

Vatanen and Theodore have recently been moved, it's time to recalibrate and stop considering Anaheim the team with the surplus of D to shop from.

Last edited:

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Straight up.

Let'er rip.
Ducks don't need any centres and they need RHD. Obvious no before we even get into value.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Kesler is done and Henrique is better at LW though

Except, Kesler is a commitment for four more years for Anahiem, no matter where his play level is. Plus, Anaheim played him over 18 minutes a game last year, so clearly they don't feel as bad about him, as you do.

Perhaps Henrique is better at LW, but they have been using him at C.

But, under the scenario that they take Kadri, and move Henrique to LW.... is the marginal improvement, worth the hole Manson creates? Clearly no.

This just isn't interesting to Anaheim.

---------------------

As a Leafs fan, if Anaheim offered this, I'd personally drive Kadri to Cali.... but they won't, nor would it be close. The improvement it would make to the Leafs roster, would be more than the loss of Kadri, and finding a 3C, would be easy compared to finding a top pairing RHD.

Reactions: dracom

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
value wise, wouldn't it make more sense to deal for a sure 1B/2A center like Kadri than a prospect with potential to be better but risk of being nothing and a likely result of being worse than Kadri, while also missing the team's current compete window while he develops?

I think if they're dealing Manson for a center it would be for the best current NHL'er they can get personally. If they're rebuilding, Manson is young enough to be around after it and Ana has older assets that they can use for pick/prospect returns

No, because ELC contracts are a thing of beauty. It'll be 2021 before Perry, Getzlaf, come off the books. Gibson needs a raise next year and they're just trying to get younger.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Value is very fair however I can't see the leaf moving Kadri.

Not only is he on a steal of a contract for his production (very important to team tight against the cap), he plays a position that the Leafs would not be able to replace internally. The Leafs have no one in their system now or in the future that can play in the #3C shutdown role.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
No, because ELC contracts are a thing of beauty. It'll be 2021 before Perry, Getzlaf, come off the books. Gibson needs a raise next year and they're just trying to get younger.
Kadri is about $500k more expensive than an ELC player earning all the schedule bonuses, he's on an unreal contract that takes him through 21/22 so the timing aligns well. I wouldn't take the risk on a prospect and the likely downgrade in result for that savings (which is likely more than $500k/year, but it's not likely more than what a 3rd line forward makes now for context)

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Kadri is one of the least likely players on our team to be traded, yet there's all these Kadri proposals popping lately. It must be summer time.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->