Recalled/Assigned: Kaden Fulcher

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
Said it in the tank thread that if Bernier is out, let the kid play the finale against Buffalo.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
There are rumors here in Switzerland that Joren van Pottelberghe may go back to Davos next season. Kinda curious since the Redwings organization clearly needs goalies. Having said that, he's injured and as far as I know there are still no details out there. If it's something longer term it may be smart to stay in Switzerland for one more season.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
There are rumors here in Switzerland that Joren van Pottelberghe may go back to Davos next season. Kinda curious since the Redwings organization clearly needs goalies. Having said that, he's injured and as far as I know there are still no details out there. If it's something longer term it may be smart to stay in Switzerland for one more season.

There's not really need for goalies yet. Howard and Bernier are signed for next year. Rybar is the clear starter at Griffins, so the Top3 is set. Griffins backup role could be opening for next year, but I could think Filip Larsson is the first candidate to take that spot. Fulcher will stay at Toledo.

It's good move for Pottelberghe to stay one year at Europe, stay healthy and hope for one superior year for him.

Reactions: LazyT

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
There's not really need for goalies yet. Howard and Bernier are signed for next year. Rybar is the clear starter at Griffins, so the Top3 is set. Griffins backup role could be opening for next year, but I could think Filip Larsson is the first candidate to take that spot. Fulcher will stay at Toledo.

It's good move for Pottelberghe to stay one year at Europe, stay healthy and hope for one superior year for him.

Van Pottelberghe had several good years and surely is better than Larsson so I expected him to team up with Rybar in GR. Wings should try to lose Bernier somewhere secluded. I agree that Fulcher probably needs one more year in Toledo though.

marcmadsen

Sep 29, 2016
Van Pottelberghe had several good years and surely is better than Larsson so I expected him to team up with Rybar in GR. Wings should try to lose Bernier somewhere secluded. I agree that Fulcher probably needs one more year in Toledo though.
I don't know that you're in the majority thinking VP is better than Larsson

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I don't know that you're in the majority thinking VP is better than Larsson

Van Pottelberghe was taken earlier than Larsson, is older and playing very well at pro level for years now while Larsson is still in college. Not saying that Larsson can't turn out well...goalies are a complete wild card. But at this point, van Pottelberghe is a much safer bet. How many goalies played well in the AHL directly outta college?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Van Pottelberghe was taken earlier than Larsson, is older and playing very well at pro level for years now while Larsson is still in college. Not saying that Larsson can't turn out well...goalies are a complete wild card. But at this point, van Pottelberghe is a much safer bet. How many goalies played well in the AHL directly outta college?

It's not a problem to have Pottelberghe at Europe. Europe won't destroy goalies. More important is to have a starter spot against a good competition. Larsson is gonna have tougher competition when he moves from college to AHL. That would not be the case in JVP.

So overall, Wings bigger plan to spread guys out works best at this way.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Last edited:

marcmadsen

Sep 29, 2016

I'm not saying JVP is bad or anything. But I do think a lot of people are getting excited about what Larsson has done at the college level. I wouldn't invest much into draft position when comparing goalies because as you said, it's a crap shoot. I do like JVP as a prospect and who knows, you may even be right in assessing him as the "safer" prospect. However, I originally quoted your post because you said JVP was better than Larsson. Obviously, we're comparing apples to oranges because they are different stages of their development. One is older and playing against a different kind of competition. So, literally today, right in this very moment is JVP better than Larsson? Sure, maybe. But for me, when gauging how "good" prospects are I'm also considering the strides they are taking and how I think they will develop. For me, I feel like Larsson has shown more progress in that way. But I will be the first to admit that my exposure to JVP is less than my exposure to Larsson. But I do think a lot of people share a similar opinion on Larsson. At the end of the day, here's hoping both JVP and Larsson turn into really great NHL level goaltenders

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I'm not saying JVP is bad or anything. But I do think a lot of people are getting excited about what Larsson has done at the college level. I wouldn't invest much into draft position when comparing goalies because as you said, it's a crap shoot. I do like JVP as a prospect and who knows, you may even be right in assessing him as the "safer" prospect. However, I originally quoted your post because you said JVP was better than Larsson. Obviously, we're comparing apples to oranges because they are different stages of their development. One is older and playing against a different kind of competition. So, literally today, right in this very moment is JVP better than Larsson? Sure, maybe. But for me, when gauging how "good" prospects are I'm also considering the strides they are taking and how I think they will develop. For me, I feel like Larsson has shown more progress in that way. But I will be the first to admit that my exposure to JVP is less than my exposure to Larsson. But I do think a lot of people share a similar opinion on Larsson. At the end of the day, here's hoping both JVP and Larsson turn into really great NHL level goaltenders

Look, the guy obviously has talent but NCAA goalies hardly ever turn into NHLers. From all the top NCAA goalies since over 10 years, all that's left is one starter (Hellebuyck), one backup (Dell) and one that may turn into an NHLer (Demko). Everybody else probably isn't gonna make it.
Van Pottelberghe on the other side is an established pro. The only question marks left are if he can handle the pressure and an NHL schedule. Larsson may never even get to that point. Talent alone doesn't get you very far as a pro and even talentwise I like Van Pottelberghe better. You guys are getting waay too hyped about NCAA performances. Chances that exactly Larsson is gonna be the NCAA's Hellebuyck of the next 10 years are very slim.

marcmadsen

Sep 29, 2016
Look, the guy obviously has talent but NCAA goalies hardly ever turn into NHLers. From all the top NCAA goalies since over 10 years, all that's left is one starter (Hellebuyck), one backup (Dell) and one that may turn into an NHLer (Demko). Everybody else probably isn't gonna make it.
Van Pottelberghe on the other side is an established pro. The only question marks left are if he can handle the pressure and an NHL schedule. Larsson may never even get to that point. Talent alone doesn't get you very far as a pro and even talentwise I like Van Pottelberghe better. You guys are getting waay too hyped about NCAA performances. Chances that exactly Larsson is gonna be the NCAA's Hellebuyck of the next 10 years are very slim.

Bolded part above is way over reaching. You can have your opinion and that's all fine and good. But how, in the same post, you can claim that some of us are way too excited about a college goalie and then say that the only questions left for JVP are pressure and NHL schedule, seems biased to me. You're making it sound like JVP is ready to step in at any minute and that's just not accurate. Downplay Larsson if you want or if it makes it easier for you to prop JVP up, but all I said in the first place was that not as many ppl as some may think agree with your assessment

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Bolded part above is way over reaching. You can have your opinion and that's all fine and good. But how, in the same post, you can claim that some of us are way too excited about a college goalie and then say that the only questions left for JVP are pressure and NHL schedule, seems biased to me. You're making it sound like JVP is ready to step in at any minute and that's just not accurate. Downplay Larsson if you want or if it makes it easier for you to prop JVP up, but all I said in the first place was that not as many ppl as some may think agree with your assessment

What else would you add to the list? The upcoming season will be his 4th as a pro and he's done very well until now. He's an established pro with all the tools to become an NHLer so what it comes down now is if he can handle the NHL mentally and physically...which only few are capable of. Larsson is even further away. So far so good but chances for him to ever become an NHLer are small. We'll talk again in a few years should he have a few good pro seasons under his belt by then.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I have a hard time getting excited about JVP considering he can't seem to win a NLA crease

marcmadsen

Sep 29, 2016
What else would you add to the list? The upcoming season will be his 4th as a pro and he's done very well until now. He's an established pro with all the tools to become an NHLer so what it comes down now is if he can handle the NHL mentally and physically...which only few are capable of. Larsson is even further away. So far so good but chances for him to ever become an NHLer are small.
JVP is a year older and drafted a year earlier, so obviously he is at a different place in his development than Larsson. Part of why Larsson is "further away" is age. Part of it is also the developmental path (i.e. college route). I just don't see JVP as being that close. But it depends what they do with him. If he comes over sooner than later, he'll be in the AHL. Or maybe he continues overseas and never comes over. Larsson will also spend time in the AHL at some point. Neither of which are definitely going to do that next year or even necessarily the year after (obviously I'd like at least one of them to be in the AHL by then but there's no guarantee). Obviously, neither of them are slam dunks to play in the NHL but I really don't see JVP as being nearly as close as it sounds like you do. Which is cool but I don't think I'm alone in that view.

As I said in an earlier post, obviously best case scenario both guys pan out and one day we can debate who we think has turned into the better NHL goalie. Who knows, maybe we'll be debating who is better between Larsson, JVP and Fulcher.....

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Howard played on the National Championship and was a great NCAA goalie..and still a starter

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
What else would you add to the list? The upcoming season will be his 4th as a pro and he's done very well until now. He's an established pro with all the tools to become an NHLer so what it comes down now is if he can handle the NHL mentally and physically...which only few are capable of. Larsson is even further away. So far so good but chances for him to ever become an NHLer are small. We'll talk again in a few years should he have a few good pro seasons under his belt by then.

has he? his numbers were super underwhelming before this year

better this year but he's also in the second tier swiss league now and not the top one anymore

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
has he? his numbers were super underwhelming before this year

better this year but he's also in the second tier swiss league now and not the top one anymore

You clearly don't have a clue. You haven't watched any games or read news, interviews, reports etc. I suggest you study the situation in Davos before posting again. Why do you think they want him back?
Also, Kloten is at least as professional as Davos and for a goalie it doesn't change much whether you're playing NLA or NLB. Quality of shots doesn't change by much. Also, if you compare his numbers with those of Klotens other goalies this season that tells you everything you need to know. If you've already seen Starkbaum play you know that he's a very good goalie in his own right. Still he was nowhere near good enough to solve a struggling Kloten. Starkbaum wasn't there anymore for the playoffs but Klotens season ended pretty quickly when Van Pottelberghe got injured.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Does anyone know what Fulcher is up to? Now that DD signed a PTO with Vancouver and Rowney signed with Löwen Frankfurt, he's the only contracted Wing from last year that hasn't re-signed with anyone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->