Kaberle

crystal ball

Mar 30, 2007
I don't know about you, but I'm getting pretty sick of watching this awful patchwork defense trying to fill Emelin and Diaz's spots with the likes of the very green Beaulieu and Drewiske who played less than a full season in the last three years. I know they want to protect Kaberle for a buyout, but at some point you have to say he's not an all star, but he's better than the alternatives. You might start thinking Bergevin is more worried about the cap than about winning another game this year.

bib

#believe
Aug 28, 2007
I wouldn't mind the way Kaberle was handled if he was actually given a fair chance.

He never was.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I don't know about you, but I'm getting pretty sick of watching this awful patchwork defense trying to fill Emelin and Diaz's spots with the likes of the very green Beaulieu and Drewiske who played less than a full season in the last three years. I know they want to protect Kaberle for a buyout, but at some point you have to say he's not an all star, but he's better than the alternatives. You might start thinking Bergevin is more worried about the cap than about winning another game this year.

Kaberle is about the opposite of Emelin. Diaz is coming back in the next few days, no point in risking an injury to Kaberle.

JohnnyB11

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, NB
I say throw him in. He wasn't half bad (what, 3 a, +3 in 9 games?). He's also an experienced veteran who clearly has a pretty good attitude - have you heard him complain once about playing time?

Get him in there.

And imagine the reaction if he were to get injured and unable to be bought out. Risking this for what, with Diaz set to come back?? Habs clinched a playoff spot in case you didn't notice.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
And imagine the reaction if he were to get injured and unable to be bought out. Risking this for what, with Diaz set to come back?? Habs clinched a playoff spot in case you didn't notice.

Kaberle has only had one major injury his whole career and it was from a dirty hit by Cam Janssen, at this point we should just be trying to ice the best team possible and even if by small chance he does get injured his $4 million next year on the cap won't kill us.

Markov - Subban
Gorges - Diaz
Kaberle - Bouillon

A defense like that going into the playoffs isn't that bad, obviously it is soft but Kaberle is better than Drewiske and it keeps Bouillon and Gorges off the powerplay.

However Weber didn't look that bad last night so if he can play solid the next couple of games I'd keep him in over Drewiske.

JohnnyB11

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, NB
Yes his cap hit will kill us. There's no way to keep the team together next year with Kaberle on the books. Check it out.

And are you actually using statistics as a means to determine whether Kaberle gets injured or not?? Really??

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Yes his cap hit will kill us. There's no way to keep the team together next year with Kaberle on the books. Check it out.

And are you actually using statistics as a means to determine whether Kaberle gets injured or not?? Really??

Kaberle doesn't get hurt as much because he plays soft, he's not out there going into the corners with no fear like a Bouillon or throwing himself in 100 MPH shots like Gorges.. the chances a guy get hurt are pretty slim.

We're under the cap even with Kaberle and the only important UFA we'd have to sign would be Ryder and who knows if he'd even be back. Worst case we'd eat some of Gionta's salary and dump him somewhere.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I have been thinking about this also. The Habs are going to have to decide if they want to risk having success this season, which at this point Kaberle could very well contribute to, or keep playing it safe and sit him so he does not get hurt and cannot be bought out.

I think they have to take the risk after these last three games. They need his veteran presence out there even if his defense might not be the best part of his game, he has shown to be a team player, has not gone out of his way and complained about his lot on the team.

JohnnyB11

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, NB
Anyone can get injured out there, so saying Kaberle's 'chance' of getting injured is slim holds no water. He can't be bought out if injured, that is 100% certain.

Habs have clinched. They're in the post season. Diaz is projected back very soon. We have Weber. Why take unnecessary risk by playing Kaberle now? Nothing more than a knee jerk reaction.

Having Kaberle on the books changes a lot next year. He needs to go. He can't play.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Kaberle doesn't get hurt as much because he plays soft, he's not out there going into the corners with no fear like a Bouillon or throwing himself in 100 MPH shots like Gorges.. the chances a guy get hurt are pretty slim.

We're under the cap even with Kaberle and the only important UFA we'd have to sign would be Ryder and who knows if he'd even be back. Worst case we'd eat some of Gionta's salary and dump him somewhere.

Right, except Kaberle has only played 10 games this year with over 15+min of ice only twice and he is 35. Not quite the same.

But at this point, really no need. There's only 5 games left before the POs, if we didn't use him before, I don't see why we would now.
Keep Weber in.

Lionel Mandrake

Don't take him out the bubblewrap. With Diaz coming back there's no point in risking an injury. He's way too soff for playoff hockey anyways.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
We can't afford to give him a chance. If he gets injured we are done with free agency before it even comes. We would lose Ryder for nothing and can't afford a replacement. We also have to waste a roster spot on Kaberle next season meaning we can't pick up a more physical guy on the back end.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

That's BS. Guys that play soft can just as easily get hurt, concussions don't just go to "tough" players, safe for eye or knee injuries. Maybe for a guy that lays big hits the % is a bit higher, but still in no way means soft players can't get hurt. Gaborik missed like 30-40% of his games in Minnesota and part of a season in NYR. I'm sure I can find 20+ more examples.

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
Again, Kaberle won't ever be played because the Habs management will be buying him out during the off-season. In order to prevent the possibility of an injury that would make this impossible to do, it was decided that he won't be played.

At all. Ever.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
If we got stuck with Kaberle next year it wouldn't be the end of the world. We have over 6m in cap space next year. Sending him to the AHL would mean 7m in cap space. Trading him by eating half his salary would give us over 8m in space. And since all we have to sign is one top-9 guy, and two 4th liners we shouldn't be worried.

Not to mention he still practices with the team so he's already risking injury. The idea of not icing the best possible team in the playoffs is absurd. If Kaberle is better than Weber/Drewiske/Bouillon then he should play simple as that. Now if Therrien doesn't think Kaberle can actually help that's a different story.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
If we got stuck with Kaberle next year it wouldn't be the end of the world. We have over 6m in cap space next year. Sending him to the AHL would mean 7m in cap space. Trading him by eating half his salary would give us over 8m in space. And since all we have to sign is one top-9 guy, and two 4th liners we shouldn't be worried.

Not to mention he still practices with the team so he's already risking injury. The idea of not icing the best possible team in the playoffs is absurd. If Kaberle is better than Weber/Drewiske/Bouillon then he should play simple as that. Now if Therrien doesn't think Kaberle can actually help that's a different story.

It's just sooo much easier to buy him out and not worry about losing cap space. Plus his skillset is redundant with Markov Subban Diaz Weber.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
It's just sooo much easier to buy him out and not worry about losing cap space. Plus his skillset is redundant with Markov Subban Diaz Weber.

I'm 100% behind buying him out but if he can help the team now or in the playoffs we should use him. I would hate to get knocked out of the playoffs knowing Kaberle could've made a difference. Why hurt our chances when the risk of something bad happening is a) small and b) not that bad anyways.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Doesn't it seem almost moot to even debate the buyout anymore? The Habs have been pretty transparent in their bubble-wrapping of Kaberle, so I don't see how it's even interesting to ponder alternatives at this point? :dunno:

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Doesn't it seem almost moot to even debate the buyout anymore? The Habs have been pretty transparent in their bubble-wrapping of Kaberle, so I don't see how it's even interesting to ponder alternatives at this point? :dunno:

The coach and/or GM are making a mistake by not giving Kaberle a chance. Seems like something that is worth debating.

Analyzer*

If you people think 44DD and Cube are playing bad at this point... Basically, the way they're playing now is how Kaberle's defense is when everything is going right for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad