Prospect Info: Kaapo Kakko

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
He apparently ran all the way to the MSG studio after the lotto to slobber all about it.

Basically Ray is going to be too much of a coward to take the REAL best player who is going to be a Ranger.

well, before i make my decision i’d like to hear what jason labarbera and dan blackburn think

Reactions: Bleedred

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Actually I have questioned Hughes goal scoring abilities, at least in regards to the Kane comparisons. I also have a hard time when people say he's an 11 on the 1-10 skating scale. Ya, he looks like a super smooth skater, but he's not as fast as McDavid as far as I have seen, thus putting him over the perfection limit seems misplaced.

In general I think the Hughes hype is overblown. Not to say he is not the best kid in this draft, he's my pick at #1 nor to say he won't be an excellent player, but some of this stuff I'm not buying.

Skating is more than a straight line, especially in the NHL. Hughes is given such high praise on his skating because his edges and his overall skating ability. He skates very well in a straight line but is definitely not near mcdavid or someone like Larkin. His edge work and agility are why his skating is so highly regarded. Gaudreau is the best comparison in my eyes and I'm surprised it isnt used more often, his frame is bigger than Johnny but his vision, skating, hands, aggressiveness are much like Johnny and both don't have a shot that is great from deep but can score in tight due to intelligence and craftiness.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I think "crapped on" is a bit much, especially given there was only 1 reply when you chimed in and it didnt sound very negative, but this is an entirely useless thread given there's 0% chance the Devils pass on Hughes.

There is a gap between #1 & #2 this year, and there is a gap between #2 and .............. everyone else.

Therefore it is a 100% certain lock that the Devils take Hughes & the Rangers take Kakko.

This is not complicated, and everyone informed on the situation understands all this very well.
well @Hall4Hart 's point is that it's not TECHNICALLY 100%, since there's always a chance that he might get picked... from a technical standpoint

all signs indicate hughes, IMO, but i think the issue he's got is the absolute certainty we have, since this kind of shit is how a lot of us (reportedly) spoke about nolan patrick. the potential for hypocrisy has something to do with this methinks

Reactions: Oneiro

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
i think the issue he's got is the absolute certainty we have, since this kind of **** is how a lot of us (reportedly) spoke about nolan patrick.

Hughes & Kakko Nico & Nolan

Nico & Nolan was a scouting coin toss, whereas virtually every NHL scout claims Hughes has greater upside than Kakko.

As I said before, none of this is complicated.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Being excited because we won the draft and associating 1 player with that because the vast majority have this player at #1 doesn’t mean myself or anyone is losing their mind.

If anything, you are setting yourself up for the “I told you so” hfboards posts if something drastic changes between now and June.

I’m open minded to whatever the team wants to do but the games I’ve watched, highlights I’ve gotten to see and articles I’ve read from all sorts of different experts all lead me to thinking it’s set in stone on who we are picking.
So, to be clear, mods wiped out my entire post responding to this...but left the quoted post above even though I haven't claimed one player is better than the other.

Peace guys. This place is insufferable anymore.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
well @Hall4Hart 's point is that it's not TECHNICALLY 100%, since there's always a chance that he might get picked... from a technical standpoint

all signs indicate hughes, IMO, but i think the issue he's got is the absolute certainty we have, since this kind of **** is how a lot of us (reportedly) spoke about nolan patrick. the potential for hypocrisy has something to do with this methinks

the patrick/nico stuff has to stop if anyone is looking to have an intellectually honest conversation. this is very very different

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I just can’t get past Shero’s own quotes and tone when talking about 1OA this year compared to his tone in 2017. If anyone has an issue with people here talking about the pick as a fait accompli take it up with the GM.

Reactions: Blender
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->