Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott r

Feb 10, 2021
Awful awful awful post. Worst I’ve ever seen on here, and there have been some pretty bad ones. You make Bern look reasonable. Kakko is going to be so good and a franchise player for us.

I’m usually not this confident in a player, but I am with Kakko. Only obvious problem is he needs to keep the opposition honest by developing a shot.
So good ?? What r u a psychic??

Scott r

Feb 10, 2021
Just needs to finish. That’s a huge “just”, but that’s what he needs to focus on. The rest of his game is there, except for maybe decision making/execution on odd man rushes.

Its weird because most highly touted offensive players come into the league knowing how to finish and need to figure the rest out.
He is puzzling....can't finish is odd. Agreed

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Give him an off season with Rantanen focusing on his shot and shooting angles and he should be fine.

And get Quinn far away from him and the other kids. Why are Kakko AND Laf looking tentative? When have they ever been tentative on the ice? It's on Quinn to IMPROVE them as players, but it doesn't look like he is able to.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I wonder if he's using the right kind of stick to maximize his shooting.

That's one thing he will have to figure out. I've seen him use a lot of different sticks during practice. It may be one thing he will have to adjust as part of growing his game.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I've noticed that a lot. I've also noticed that a lot from the rest of team as well, unfortunately. They gotta shoot more in those high danger areas.

Tonight on one shift in the 3rd (if memory serves) he got 2 great looks, tried to make an extra move when he really didn’t have room to do so and lost the puck. Don’t think he trusts his shot enough right now.

Scott r

Feb 10, 2021
Give him an off season with Rantanen focusing on his shot and shooting angles and he should be fine.

And get Quinn far away from him and the other kids. Why are Kakko AND Laf looking tentative? When have they ever been tentative on the ice? It's on Quinn to IMPROVE them as players, but it doesn't look like he is able to.
Quinn isn't going anywhere...stop pointing at a coach for everything

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Just needs to finish. That’s a huge “just”, but that’s what he needs to focus on. The rest of his game is there, except for maybe decision making/execution on odd man rushes.

Its weird because most highly touted offensive players come into the league knowing how to finish and need to figure the rest out.

it was also basically all he was good for his rookie year.

Give him consistent reps and some pp1 time and watch the goals pile. his minutes have plunged in the last couple weeks

Foxy

Oct 5, 2020

Yeah, Kakko was one of our best players for a couple weeks this season. The pucks weren't going in as much as we all hoped, but he looked really good. Quinn rather then giving it time for the puck luck to change demoted him and he hasn't looked the same since.

Blackwell and Kakko have now both had about equal time with Panarin and Strome, xGoals% - 57.3% with Kakko and 54.2% with Blackwell. So they got more chances with Kakko, just couldn't bury them. Goals - 9 with Kakko and 11 with Blackwell. Like you said hopefully that is something he can work on this summer.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Yeah, Kakko was one of our best players for a couple weeks this season. The pucks weren't going in as much as we all hoped, but he looked really good. Quinn rather then giving it time for the puck luck to change demoted him and he hasn't looked the same since.

Blackwell and Kakko have now both had about equal time with Panarin and Strome, xGoals% - 57.3% with Kakko and 54.2% with Blackwell. So they got more chances with Kakko, just couldn't bury them. Goals - 9 with Kakko and 11 with Blackwell. Like you said hopefully that is something he can work on this summer.

Barkov and Roope Hintz for example, suffered from the same issue early on, but they figured out the shooting angles and how to simplify and be more direct in the slot. Kakko will too. He needs confidence and to be more direct etc and I don't think having a "tough love" coach breath down his neck helps at all. Encouragement wins over punishment in my book.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
Barkov and Roope Hintz for example, suffered from the same issue early on, but they figured out the shooting angles and how to simplify and be more direct in the slot. Kakko will too. He needs confidence and to be more direct etc and I don't think having a "tough love" coach breath down his neck helps at all. Encouragement wins over punishment in my book.

David Quinn's player management style - Tough love for the young players, encouragement for the struggling vets.

Scott r

Feb 10, 2021
He is always making an extra move or extra pass. Not sure how to teach him to stop.
If u look at career of Dave Gagner its a big mystery. Look his numbers. When traded to Minnesota he hasn8 goals on liken60 games then he exploded. Its something I've never seen before.. my point,, im guessing he just figured it out..such as what most must do. If he doesn't figure it out...then how does it happen. He didn't need to do this at lower levels...kakko

Scott r

Feb 10, 2021
Disagree u making it seem its that easy. Not every guy gets better in nhl.....he might..but u r dealing with an organization that can't win...81 years 1 cup . Geez

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY

He’s more focused on elevating 28 year old Colin Blackwell to UFA where he will sign a deal on another team than developing two forwards we hope will be here the next decade and change. Guy is a complete moron. Imagine, the front office drafted all these guys yet doesn’t realize the bench boss is in way over his head. Ironic.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

ilezia

Apr 13, 2010
Any inclination he will be working or works with guys like Barkov or Rantanen in the off-seasons?

Rantanen and Kakko are both from Turku and both went through the TPS system all the way to the mens team. I know he has done at least some off-season training with Rantanen and I can imagine them continuing it. What a great player to be learning from as well!

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Kakko has 6 assists playing 1/2 the season with Bread and Strome. Incredible - Tanner Glass would have at least that many assists playing with them. Time to stop making excuses and admit the obvious - this guy is an anchor on any offensive line he is playing with. Kratsov is going to be so much better. Kakko looks like his realistic ceiling is as a 3rd liner. If anything Quinn has given him too much rope and top 6 time. Where is the accountability for crappy unproductive play.
Yikes. What a terrible post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad