Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I echo the sentiment that he's been really good lately. This is exactly what I wanted to see from him regardless of if the points are coming or not. I'm excited to see him and Panarin work that one-time magic, it's almost worked a few times the past couple games, eventually it will go in. I'd also like to see him on the top PP unit, I think he's better on the right wall than Buch and if not there then by the side of the net to be able to make passes to the bumper because it's virtually non-existent with Kreider net front.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
I echo the sentiment that he's been really good lately. This is exactly what I wanted to see from him regardless of if the points are coming or not. I'm excited to see him and Panarin work that one-time magic, it's almost worked a few times the past couple games, eventually it will go in. I'd also like to see him on the top PP unit, I think he's better on the right wall than Buch and if not there then by the side of the net to be able to make passes to the bumper because it's virtually non-existent with Kreider net front.

For reals, he's a terrible net front player.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Kreider?

He's literally one of the most effective net front presences in the entire NHL year after year. If you want to complain about the overall structure and that the guy in front isn't doing enough to help the PP then that's a different argument but there really is no argument that Kreider is not an effective player in front of the net because he scores a ton of goals there

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Kreider?

He's literally one of the most effective net front presences in the entire NHL year after year. If you want to complain about the overall structure and that the guy in front isn't doing enough to help the PP then that's a different argument but there really is no argument that Kreider is not an effective player in front of the net because he scores a ton of goals there

I was being totally sarcastic.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Don't hate on Lev. Covid affects everything. Which makes it automatically the fault of Quinn & Gorton.

to be honest I don't really pay attention to individual posters and posting style anymore unless it's like a long time regular with a name I recognize

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Never said he was, but his role is to screen/deflect pucks. If you watch other teams who are really effective using the 1-3-1 they usually have a guy who can make plays and distribute at the side of the net/goal line who are then able to make quick strike passes to the guy in the bumper or across ice. With the Rangers you don't usually see them working the puck in that fashion and I think having a better distributor in that area would allow them to as opposed to what they have now.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Never said he was, but his role is to screen/deflect pucks. If you watch other teams who are really effective using the 1-3-1 they usually have a guy who can make plays and distribute at the side of the net/goal line who are then able to make quick strike passes to the guy in the bumper or across ice. With the Rangers you don't usually see them working the puck in that fashion and I think having a better distributor in that area would allow them to as opposed to what they have now.

He does that a lot too. Yes, his primary focus is setting screens and looking for tips but i don't think his passing is an issue. If anything, Kakko should take Buch's role on the PP.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Maybe I didn’t follow him enough as a prospect (spoiler: I literally did not follow him at all,) but I never imagined two-way play would be in the cards.

What the hell was this kid up to during the off-season?

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Maybe I didn’t follow him enough as a prospect (spoiler: I literally did not follow him at all,) but I never imagined two-way play would be in the cards.

What the hell was this kid up to during the off-season?
He was never good defensively before the draft, let alone last season. I mean, I thought before the draft that he was worse than Laine when it comes to defense and that's saying something.

At least with eye test, has he ever turned it around. He has been a takeaway machine, and absolutely no liability defensively IMO. That's probably the key to get more ice time from DQ, and I love that Kakko has had such improvement in this area, which absolutely was his biggest flaw before the draft.
Practicing with Reunanen for 6 months

Also... This might interest some people

And Rantanen. And Maybe Georgijev told him he would smack Kakko up if he didn't improve his defence.

I got the feeling that Rantanen, Geogijev and Kakko were pretty much training as a group before this season.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
He was never good defensively before the draft, let alone last season. I mean, I thought before the draft that he was worse than Laine when it comes to defense and that's saying something.

At least with eye test, has he ever turned it around. He has been a takeaway machine, and absolutely no liability defensively IMO. That's probably the key to get more ice time from DQ, and I love that Kakko has had such improvement in this area, which absolutely was his biggest flaw before the draft.

And Rantanen. And Maybe Georgijev told him he would smack Kakko up if he didn't improve his defence.

I got the feeling that Rantanen, Geogijev and Kakko were pretty much training as a group before this season.

5 hole checks out.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I mean, damn dude, lol...

2019-20
upload_2021-2-11_21-44-17.png

2020-21
upload_2021-2-11_21-45-32.png

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Yeah, they were. 2 of Kakko's friends were practicing with Kakko in Kaarina as well:
Leevi Teissala and Aarne Intonen.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I mean, damn dude, lol...

2019-20
View attachment 395337

2020-21
View attachment 395341

So I got 69/11 for 5 on 5 goals for per 60 per game and multiplied that by 12.9/60 and I got him being on the ice for about 1.3 goals per game. The Rangers score 2.58 goals per game. So he's on the ice for more than half the Rangers goals? This doesn't even take into account the power play. I think there's something with the methodology I'm missing here.

Also, his xGF/60 is significantly lower than his xGA/60, so that doesn't seem flattering to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->