Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
If Laf is struggling playing a simple game on the third line and I don't think putting him on PP1 right now is going to help. You don't need to play with great players or get tons of ice time to make an impact on the game. He needs to drive to the net, get to the dirty areas a bit more, and just think the game a few seconds quicker. The place to do that isn't on the PP, but that's just my opinion.

Playing on the PP might give him a little kickstart (extra space to work with, one less attacking player to worry about so he has some extra time to process things) if he's able to contribute a couple points and play a part in scoring plays. Maybe, maybe not, but like I said Quinn has juggled everything else, I don't see the harm in giving a player that has been touted like Laf a shot on PP1 when our PP is barely hitting at all with our big guns.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
What's so bad about putting him out there? Why are you so against putting a 1st overall pick out there? You make it sound like it's the worst thing ever

I'm against putting a kid in a spot he hasn't earned/isn't ready for because long term, that does more harm than good.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Playing on the PP might give him a little kickstart (extra space to work with, one less attacking player to worry about so he has some extra time to process things) if he's able to contribute a couple points and play a part in scoring plays. Maybe, maybe not, but like I said Quinn has juggled everything else, I don't see the harm in giving a player that has been touted like Laf a shot on PP1 when our PP is barely hitting at all with our big guns.
And take that time away from Panarin? I can see how that would work well. They are only trying to win games.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
That's all i'm asking for, just see what happens. Why is it a fast "No" when this is asked? The stuff we are doing isn't working so try something else
Honestly, its not so much that it's "not working", and certainly could be better.......but right now, as it stands it really seems to me that Quinn, JG and JD (not necessarily in that order) are not willing to concede the possibility of LOSING games in which they feel they could win by playing and RIDING their horses. At least that is what it "looks like".
Now, if any one of them told me......that is what is BEST for them as individuals, I am sorry......I dont believe that reason for one minute. Then again, "I" could be wrong. I believe that it is easier and better for the individual to break into the BEST league in the world, allowing them to do what has gotten them there, gain confidence and some success, and then take it from there.

EG; if a pitcher makes it to the majors throwing 100mph, do you tell him we want you to throw 75% curveballs? No, u just dont do that.

Everybody and their mother could reason that Hughes didnt have to "be better than", players like Panarin, Zbad and Kreider to get the minutes Hughes gets (and they would be right), but maybe.......just maybe, this isnt what is best for Kakko and Laf. Kakko IS getting better slowly, very slowly and maybe there is a medical issue that WARRANTED his slow progression, but with Laf.....I dont see it.

At least give them a shot, a temporary fare "shake" at gaining some confidence (as a few goals on the PP can go a VERY long way).......me thinks. Panarin, Zbad, Buch and Kreider surely would be professional enough to understand that THAT might be best for these kids......right now, at least temporarily.
THAT would be best for the team in the "long run".

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I think "earning it" has better served more players than just giving them shit they don't deserve or aren't ready for. But that's just me. PP time doesn't make a young player better, learning to play the game correctly at this level is what makes them better.
Agree, but this is WHY I said "temporarily". Just give them a chance to really feel their oats. Confidence is like 101% and 50% talent. (Okay, that was my Yogi Berra impersonation).

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
And take that time away from Panarin? I can see how that would work well. They are only trying to win games.
Yeah, and again that goes back to how our PP is so lethal right now? Really wouldn't hurt too much now would it? Nothing ventured nothing lost or gained? Haha. (Always screw up sayings) And could reap benefits elsewhere. Or, is everyone so close minded about this concept?

For the RECORD, I am totally against "handing anything" to anyone that doesn't deserve it......but again, if its temporary and somewhat discussed with said player "as temporary", then what would be the harm? What IF they lit the lamp 3 out of 4 PP's in the next game? Would that make Panarin and Zba feel insecure? Well, then maybe it would motivate them a little. Yeah, motivation......thats a bad word. If they did score 3, they would win.....they would gain confidence......yeah, that would be so VERY BAD for this team right about now.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
What does a 1st round exit in 5-6 games do for this team?
Maybe a few bucks for the couple of fans that will be in the stands?
Other than that.......not much. Would MUCH PREFER, not making the PO's if that meant proper PT for our "future".
Win now at ALL COSTS should NOT be the priority.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, and again that goes back to how our PP is so lethal right now? Really wouldn't hurt too much now would it? Nothing ventured nothing lost or gained? Haha. (Always screw up sayings) And could reap benefits elsewhere. Or, is everyone so close minded about this concept?
Because the concept of removing arguably a top-5 player in the league for a 19 year old rookie is not so much out of the box thinking but out right ridiculous. Sorry. If the 80's Oilers had a bad 10 game stretch on the PP, how much time do you think Sather pondered removing Gretzky from it?
For the RECORD, I am totally against "handing anything" to anyone that doesn't deserve it......but again, if its temporary and somewhat discussed with said player "as temporary", then what would be the harm? What IF they lit the lamp 3 out of 4 PP's in the next game? Would that make Panarin and Zba feel insecure? Well, then maybe it would motivate them a little. Yeah, motivation......thats a bad word. If they did score 3, they would win.....they would gain confidence......yeah, that would be so VERY BAD for this team right about now.
There is no coach in ANY league in ANY country that would remove a top-5 player in the league for a look see at a 19 year old.

And why bring up ZBad? Are we now going to experiment with Kakko or Lafreniere at center?

There is discussing legit possibilities and then there is discussing items that are sheer flights of fancy that have ZERO chance of coming to fruition.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Oh okay. Funny though, a few years back I had mentioned playing Smith on the wing and sure enough. "Zero" is never really zero. Lets just hope the PP and more specifically Zbad gets going, this way Quinn doesnt get desperate and do the unthinkable.
And btw, people have suggested much more outrageous stuff than what I have suggested. Zero chance or not.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Oh okay. Funny though, a few years back I had mentioned playing Smith on the wing and sure enough. "Zero" is never really zero. Lets just hope the PP and more specifically Zbad gets going, this way Quinn doesnt get desperate and do the unthinkable.
And btw, people have suggested much more outrageous stuff than what I have suggested. Zero chance or not.
So you're saying there's a chance.......

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Lol this board sucks

lol, not a peep.

He was quick, decisive, and showed some nice finesse tonight.

I really hope that Alf gets moved up in Panarin's spot if he has to take a game or two off. It's not something that gets talked about a lot, but I really do think that these two kids could have very compatible games eventually (or immediately, who knows).

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Looked amazing the past 3 games and finally given the chances he needs to do so. The points breakout will come soon

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
It's amazing how good he looks when he's able to get in and establish a forecheck. His work along the boards and in the defensive zone is really coming along. Night and day from last season and even 5 games ago.
Hopefully the points start coming soon because he's deserved them in his last few games. Good to see him at least being rewarded with ice-time

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Another good game from the kid. I think he broke up more plays today with his stick than all of last season. He's really becoming a player. The points will come, he's getting chances and he will continue to get better and get more chances.

Glad Quinn is rewarding him with more ice time, this is exactly what he needs to help him develop. He was even throwing the body around a bit which he never did last season.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
kakko had a really good game. no points though, which continues to be disheartening.

it's certainly frustrating it's not translating into points for him yet but he was instrumental again in the 2nd goal, fighting off a tough check to the back in order to keep control of the puck and move it up to Lindgren for the shot.

He's playing quite well and starting to show off his skills...things I think he needs to still do better are just maybe trying to shoot a bit more...I'm not saying always take the puck to the middle and shoot but maybe occasionally make a power move towards the middle of the ice and let off a quick shot. Make teams have to start respecting that.
I'm actually quite encouraged by his play he's just kinda bitten by what else the team has going on where nothing is coming easily for them offensively

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
You know what -

Kakko has been improving greatly over the last few weeks, seems like every game he gets better.

First, the center he starts to click with (Chytil) goes down for 4-6 weeks. He bounces around the lineup, sticks with his game and starts driving those lines.

Past few games he earns a spot to stick with Panarin. Gets an assist, a couple of pluses.

Then Panarin tweaks something and is on the end of the bench half the game last night. Going cold.

Not making excuses for the kid, but he is only 19 and the luck he and this team is having up front right now...

Despite all of that we are beginning to see TPS Kakko and the points will have to come, generated all by him. He cannot continue to play this way and not have some crooked numbers on the scoresheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad