Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
It's a PP and the whole point of a PP is to score goals right? Why not give our young guys lots of PP time to get them going and let them show off their offense? Were losing anyway right so who cares?
We're not exactly 1 and 10, so everyone cares, BUT am inclined to agree with playing our "2nd unit FIRST", giving them the majority of the time. Our 2nd unit is much more experienced/adept at scoring, so in theory they would be more likely to score in 30-45 seconds in contrast "our 2nd unit".
It IS, yes IS worth a try, Mika is struggling......so, why not?
They should be "experimenting more" for the long range growth and in this case its not really begging for losses and I could only forsee that it could be a win, win.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

NYR3

Feb 8, 2021
Putting them on the PP is not going to magically fix what's wrong with Laf. He's not playing fast enough to keep up with the guys on PP1. What skills has he shown that merits moving him up and taking someone off? Who you taking off PP1 to accommodate a kid riding the struggle bus, Buch, Kreider, Panarin, or Zib?
Kreider and Buch for Lafreniere and Kakko. I could care less about struggling and i couldn't care about veterans or winning games. The PP can help out and give them confidence and the point of this season is getting our young guys to improve

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
You think the playoffs actually matter for this team?
Yes.
I want to see our young guys succeed and get comfortable with our skilled players and maybe actually use their own skill.
Everyone wants that. And they are being given the opportunity to earn it.
I know being skilled is against the rules in this organization but i just want to see our top 2 offensive prospects do something offensively to show how good they can be one day.
Yeah, being skilled is against the rules of the team. There is such a dearth of skill players.
Is that too much to ask for?
Is it too much to ask younger players to earn their time and not simply hand it to them?

NYR3

Feb 8, 2021
We're not exactly 1 and 10, so everyone cares, BUT am inclined to agree with playing our "2nd unit FIRST", giving them the majority of the time. Our 2nd unit is much more experienced/adept at scoring, so in theory they would be more likely to score in 30-45 seconds in contrast "our 2nd unit".
It IS, yes IS worth a try, Mika is struggling......so, why not?
They should be "experimenting more" for the long range growth and in this case its not really begging for losses and I could only forsee that it could be a win, win.
That's all i'm asking for, just see what happens. Why is it a fast "No" when this is asked? The stuff we are doing isn't working so try something else

NYR3

Feb 8, 2021
Yes.

Everyone wants that. And they are being given the opportunity to earn it.

Yeah, being skilled is against the rules of the team. There is such a dearth of skill players.

Is it too much to ask younger players to earn their time and not simply hand it to them?
What does a 1st round exit in 5-6 games do for this team?

Reactions: MysticLeviathan

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
You think the playoffs actually matter for this team? I want to see our young guys succeed and get comfortable with our skilled players and maybe actually use their own skill. I know being skilled is against the rules in this organization but i just want to see our top 2 offensive prospects do something offensively to show how good they can be one day. Is that too much to ask for?
No, its not. And sarcasticallyspeaking "God forbid" we should ever have a homegrown superstar ala Crosby, McDavid, Kane and the likes. We are NOT allowed that, don't ya' know?
They want to MOLD these talents into what "they want".
I'm with the poster that said, allow them their offense and in time let them work on their defense. Forcing them to concentrate on defensive responsibilities seems to take away their creativity to some degree. Its TOO MUCH to be asking 19 and 20 year olds to do something their not accustomed to doing.
It's like asking a 17 year old to provide for MOM and POP.
Me thinks.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Kreider and Buch for Lafreniere and Kakko. I could care less about struggling and i couldn't care about veterans or winning games. The PP can help out and give them confidence and the point of this season is getting our young guys to improve

There's just so much wrong with this line of thinking I don't even know where to start.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
I'm not a coach so i don't care if it's wrong or right. I want to see our young guys perform, get confident and eventually lead this team

And they will. Kakko looks way better than he did last year. Laf is only 11 games into his pro career. This stuff takes time. But forcing them into spots they aren't ready for isn't going to accelerate anything, it's going to delay their development.

NYR3

Feb 8, 2021
And they will. Kakko looks way better than he did last year. Laf is only 11 games into his pro career. This stuff takes time. But forcing them into spots they aren't ready for isn't going to accelerate anything, it's going to delay their development.
Giving them more PP time is bad for their development? Won't that help them gain confidence and get comfortable? Why does every forward on this team need to be a grinder before they are allowed to be skilled?

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Giving them more PP time is bad for their development? Won't that help them gain confidence and get comfortable? Why does every forward on this team need to be a grinder before they are allowed to be skilled?

Right, because Buch, Panarin, Strome and Zib are grinders. Are you serious? Whether you like it or not, the game is a little too fast for Laf at the moment. He's not seeing/reacting/playing quick enough. He had no preseason, very little camp and I don't care how good he was in Jrs, he's never played the game at this speed before in his life. Just handing him PP minutes right now is silly. The NHL isn't a developmental league, coaches and players are there to win games, period. Laf will figure it all out sooner rather than later.

NYR3

Feb 8, 2021
Right, because Buch, Panarin, Strome and Zib are grinders. Are you serious? Whether you like it or not, the game is a little too fast for Laf at the moment. He's not seeing/reacting/playing quick enough. He had no preseason, very little camp and I don't care how good he was in Jrs, he's never played the game at this speed before in his life. Just handing him PP minutes right now is silly. The NHL isn't a developmental league, coaches and players are there to win games, period. Laf will figure it all out sooner rather than later.
We aren't winning games so why shouldn't Laf be handed more PP time to see if he can do anything with it? Is he a f***ing random 7th rounder or something? He's the 1st overall pick for christs sakes, let him get some damn time with the main guys

Reactions: MysticLeviathan

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
We aren't winning games so why shouldn't Laf be handed more PP time to see if he can do anything with it? Is he a f***ing random 7th rounder or something? He's the 1st overall pick for christs sakes, let him get some damn time with the main guys

When he earns it, he will get tons of time with the main guys. Right now he isn't, so he gets 2nd PP, which honestly he doesn't even deserve right now.

Reactions: haveandare

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
well, those getting paid the most may have earned those paydays last year but clearly aren’t earning it this year.

Totally agree. The reason this team is struggling right now is because of guys like Zib, not Laf or Kakko. But they have a track record of perfoming at this level. Laf doesn't, he will though.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

NYR3

Feb 8, 2021
Did you read this before you pressed reply?
You can try to insult all you want, it means nothing to me. We get 2 elite prospects and we can't be bothered to give them more PP time because they didn't earn it. The "earn it" thing has been working so well for this team right? All these guys on the PP who earned it and they can't score a goal to save their lives

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY

The PP has been pretty disappointing. Top 10 in PP chances (44), top 5 in PP time per game (avg 6:52) and PP chances per game (4), but bottom 10 in PP goals (6) and just barely outside bottom 5 in the league for PP% (13.6). Quinn has seemed to juggle everything except the PP, I don't see what harm that could do.

Reactions: NYR3

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
You can try to insult all you want, it means nothing to me. We get 2 elite prospects and we can't be bothered to give them more PP time because they didn't earn it. The "earn it" thing has been working so well for this team right? All these guys on the PP who earned it and they can't score a goal to save their lives

I think "earning it" has better served more players than just giving them shit they don't deserve or aren't ready for. But that's just me. PP time doesn't make a young player better, learning to play the game correctly at this level is what makes them better.

Reactions: haveandare

NYR3

Feb 8, 2021
I think "earning it" has better served more players than just giving them shit they don't deserve or aren't ready for. But that's just me. PP time doesn't make a young player better, learning to play the game correctly at this level is what makes them better.
Why can't they learn to play correctly and also get more PP time? Why does it have to be one or the other?

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
The PP has been pretty disappointing. Top 10 in PP chances (44), top 5 in PP time per game (avg 6:52) and PP chances per game (4), but bottom 10 in PP goals (6) and just barely outside bottom 5 in the league for PP% (13.6). Quinn has seemed to juggle everything except the PP, I don't see what harm that could do.

If Laf is struggling playing a simple game on the third line and I don't think putting him on PP1 right now is going to help. You don't need to play with great players or get tons of ice time to make an impact on the game. He needs to drive to the net, get to the dirty areas a bit more, and just think the game a few seconds quicker. The place to do that isn't on the PP, but that's just my opinion.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Why can't they learn to play correctly and also get more PP time? Why does it have to be one or the other?

Because it's not even "one" right now. Let me ask you a question, what is the benefit of having him on the PP right now? Does it make the team better? Does it make him better? What role is he gonna play?

NYR3

Feb 8, 2021
Because it's not even "one" right now. Let me ask you a question, what is the benefit of having him on the PP right now? Does it make the team better? Does it make him better? What role is he gonna play?
What's so bad about putting him out there? Why are you so against putting a 1st overall pick out there? You make it sound like it's the worst thing ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad