Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

We have a coach seriously using +/- in the year of our lord 2020

Not in a sense you mean. Just conveying in a way most journalists and fans understand an idea that Kakko’s offensive play does not offset defensive lapses.

I think a lot of you seriously think of the Rangers head coach as a complete moron who has zero understanding of the game.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
You're definitely not the only one who wanted Hughes over kakko
Both @Edge and myself were pretty heavy on the Hughes over kakko train. I really like the glimpses I'm getting from kakko. He's been about as meh as Hughes has been this year.. but I'd still take Hughes 10x out of 10

Please do not leave me out of this group.

Reactions: Inferno

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Not in a sense you mean. Just conveying in a way most journalists and fans understand an idea that Kakko’s offensive play does not offset defensive lapses.

I think a lot of you seriously think of the Rangers head coach as a complete moron who has zero understanding of the game.
I just hope that the message is sent right, and Quinn would actually give Kakko some chances maybe on the first PP now that Kreider is gone. What he says is right, he doesn't deserve to be next to Panarin or Ziba playing 5 on 5, because he's a liability in the own end. But outside of PP2 (which usually gets like the last 30sec of a powerplay), it's not like gets lot of rewards from his offensive good things.

Reactions: Anttiup32

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
That's a weak argument.

He wanted to bring Gauthier in the top9. That's understandable. but he also wanted to leave his meat and potatoes/bottom 6ers in the top6. Not understandable. Howden is his golden child. Not understandable. So, we reach with a '-3 is bad' so he gets demoted.

He's punishing Kakko even after showing growth offensively. I don't agree with it.

I understand the big picture, he needs to be better defensively.

Last edited:

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
That's a weak argument.

He wanted to bring Gauthier in the top9. That's understandable. but he also wanted to leave his meat and potatoes/bottom 6ers in the top6. Not understandable. Howden is his golden child. Not understandable. So, we reach with a '-3 is bad' so he gets demoted.

He's punishing Kakko even after showing growth offensively. I don't agree with it.

I understand the big picture, he needs to be better defensively.
I don't mind demoting Kakko to 4th line for his defensive issues. What I mind is Quinn not promoting him to PP1 and instead putting frigging Howden there.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
So was Staal.

Where is the discipline for him?
Who plays instead? He’s got to use him because he has no one else. And so as long as he does, he can’t go trashing him in the press. Don’t forget DQ actually sat him — while healthy — earlier this season.

Wait until the offseason. I’m 99% sure Staal will he gone, one way or another.

It’s like with politicians: once they’re elected, sure, you can pay attention to what they say... but the real proof is in how they vote.

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
We’ve seen this song and dance before. I’d bet a lot of vCash that Kakko is back on the third line before the end of they game.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
1. Staal is basically at the end of his career..he is what he is. No coaching, teaching, etc will work for him. He is what he is at this point.

2. Staal, unlike kakko, has been a healthy scratch this season despite kakko really being downright awful for large swaths of the year.

3. There was a play, maybe it was against the blues? Or flyers? Can't remember. Either way it was a 3 on 1 and kakko busted his ass to get back and make it a 3 on 2. Obly to then just not pick anyone up. He was just... There. Not in the lanes, not using his stick. He just got back and was like... Uhhh now what. This is coaching. He needs a lot more of it.

4. It's way way way easier for a defenseman to look like dogshit defensively. For a winger to be so deleteriously awful in his own zone like kakko is really makes it all the more worrisome. He needs a LOT of work in his own end. He basically has zero clue what to do. It's ok. He's 18, well 19 now. It'll take time, but let's not brush off the minus 3 comment. Kakko is really bad in his own end. For all the crap I gave lias about being worthless offensively, he was worlds better defensively. For a guy with his size, reach, and strength, I'm kinda surprised at just how bad he is in his own zone. You see lots of flashes offebsively, but wow, we need a metric ton more in his own end. Any remotely unbiased fan would acknowledge that.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Great article in the Atlantic today on Kakko’s struggles. Really good breakdown of video evidence, too.

Kid needs to go see Barb. His skating is a big issue on the offensive side.

Defensive? Well, he’s such a black hole that I’d rather him focus on his offense and skating at this point.

Reactions: Fitzy

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
Great article in the Atlantic today on Kakko’s struggles. Really good breakdown of video evidence, too.

Kid needs to go see Barb. His skating is a big issue on the offensive side.

Defensive? Well, he’s such a black hole that I’d rather him focus on his offense and skating at this point.

One reason to his defencive problems is his bad skating combined with short stick.
It does not help that he came to early to NHL. He was not played trough Liiga as his game was same shit in defence there.

People only tend to go for points and those who cant see him to often see only highlights.
—------—-----—

This all said...

First kid gets his skating, strenght and stamina UP!
This will take years but even one good summer can do wonders.

Second. Kakko has to start think game more complete way.
He has said he has played hockey only for it is fun. He has never thought game as full as he has rided with his offence. Until now.

I am sure he gets it.
For next season I project hard start for the season as Kakko will do hard training to whole body and skating.
He will be exhausted.

After new year we will see different Kakko as he starts to get his speed and mind fully to game.

Reactions: belford22

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
One reason to his defencive problems is his bad skating combined with short stick.
It does not help that he came to early to NHL. He was not played trough Liiga as his game was same shit in defence there.

People only tend to go for points and those who cant see him to often see only highlights.
—------—-----—

This all said...

First kid gets his skating, strenght and stamina UP!
This will take years but even one good summer can do wonders.

Second. Kakko has to start think game more complete way.
He has said he has played hockey only for it is fun. He has never thought game as full as he has rided with his offence. Until now.

I am sure he gets it.
For next season I project hard start for the season as Kakko will do hard training to whole body and skating.
He will be exhausted.

After new year we will see different Kakko as he starts to get his speed and mind fully to game.
He needs to use a much stiffer stick too...that thing flexes a ton even on his stick handles... It's one reason his release is awful. I use a 55 flex stick because of multiple severe wrist injuries, and I get it.. the whippiness is fun, but it's like you can't do things at NHL speed when the puck is on your stick for a month and a half.

Reactions: TheGortonConspiracy

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
1. Staal is basically at the end of his career..he is what he is. No coaching, teaching, etc will work for him. He is what he is at this point.

2. Staal, unlike kakko, has been a healthy scratch this season despite kakko really being downright awful for large swaths of the year.

3. There was a play, maybe it was against the blues? Or flyers? Can't remember. Either way it was a 3 on 1 and kakko busted his ass to get back and make it a 3 on 2. Obly to then just not pick anyone up. He was just... There. Not in the lanes, not using his stick. He just got back and was like... Uhhh now what. This is coaching. He needs a lot more of it.

4. It's way way way easier for a defenseman to look like dogshit defensively. For a winger to be so deleteriously awful in his own zone like kakko is really makes it all the more worrisome. He needs a LOT of work in his own end. He basically has zero clue what to do. It's ok. He's 18, well 19 now. It'll take time, but let's not brush off the minus 3 comment. Kakko is really bad in his own end. For all the crap I gave lias about being worthless offensively, he was worlds better defensively. For a guy with his size, reach, and strength, I'm kinda surprised at just how bad he is in his own zone. You see lots of flashes offebsively, but wow, we need a metric ton more in his own end. Any remotely unbiased fan would acknowledge that.
I remember reading so many analysts saying Kakko is such a complete player, a two way beast, etc :laugh:

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I don't mind demoting Kakko to 4th line for his defensive issues. What I mind is Quinn not promoting him to PP1 and instead putting frigging Howden there.
What are you talking about? Pp1 right now is buch, strome, zibanejad, Ada and panarin. They've also scored the 4th most pp goals in the entire NHL. Kakko shouldn't be sniffing pp1. It's working.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
He needs to use a much stiffer stick too...that thing flexes a ton even on his stick handles... It's one reason his release is awful. I use a 55 flex stick because of multiple severe wrist injuries, and I get it.. the whippiness is fun, but it's like you can't do things at NHL speed when the puck is on your stick for a month and a half.
I think it’s more so his hesitancy & lack of confidence that makes him take too long to get a shot off, rather then his shooting mechanics itself. I think his weight/flex ratio is comparable to a lot of great shooters like Ovechkin. I’ve went progressively down in flex from 65 to 60 to 55
HYnlnGu.jpg

I feel my shots improved quite a bit the lower I go and I’m very much a shoot first kind of player who takes a lot of one timers from the top of the circle. I think having a stick you can flex easily allows you to get a shot off much easier, I doubt my release would be faster with an 87 flex or something

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Speaking of sticks, I think some of the problem comes from it being too short. There's a goldie-lox zone. If you see a player have a stick too long, MZA/Nash, their shot suffers. If you see a player have a stick too short, their shot suffers.

It's harder to snap a puck with power if it's that much closer to you.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I think it’s more so his hesitancy & lack of confidence that makes him take too long to get a shot off, rather then his shooting mechanics itself. I think his weight/flex ratio is comparable to a lot of great shooters like Ovechkin. I’ve went progressively down in flex from 65 to 60 to 55
HYnlnGu.jpg

I feel my shots improved quite a bit the lower I go and I’m very much a shoot first kind of player who takes a lot of one timers from the top of the circle. I think having a stick you can flex easily allows you to get a shot off much easier, I doubt my release would be faster with an 87 flex or something
I went from 110 flex pre wrist problems to 55 flex now. I definitely was better at shooting with higher flex.the 55s have such a ridiculous amount of whip on them.. it's like you're holding the puck on your blade for a full second before it releases. I've been thinking about going back to 85 and just dealing with the pain...

Reactions: TheDirtyH

TheGortonConspiracy

Wow its a nice GM
May 2, 2017
NYC
He just turned 19... For the record he has one of the hardest shots in the world for a 19 year old... Give him time, the strength and diligence/approach is still in early stages of maturation. I agree with Quinn, can't let the kid pass go straight to the first line with Mika, that's like giving a toddler dessert before dinner. DQ is big on intentions, and it's important for KK to build intentions correctly early on

Last edited:

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
What was Draisatil doing at 19? :)

I'm not worried about him. I'd just like to see him be put in position to succeed. Long-term I'd fully expect him to understand his responsibilities and grow on the defensive side.

I'm selfish. I want to see him succeed on offense and believe he can help in the now.

Reactions: TheGortonConspiracy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->