Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
I thought last night was his best game of his NHL career. He looked confident, was using his size, his skating looks better, he has a lot of confidence in the offensive zone, and he made a great play to set up a goal. He definitely needs more PP time. I think he’s the missing piece on that PP1 unit.

Reactions: Rongomania

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
This is nice to hear.
Off puck was my nro.1 consern with Kakko.
There are others, but things like shot, skating are easier to fix.

Tell ne. Does Kakko pass more these days? He was bit selfish earlier.

Last night he was moving the puck really well. Not necessarily jaw dropping 50 ft passes, but short subtle plays that were really effective as he often was shielding or distracting a defender at the same time. Set up a few scoring chances including the rush that led to Strome’s second goal.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Last night he was moving the puck really well. Not necessarily jaw dropping 50 ft passes, but short subtle plays that were really effective as he often was shielding or distracting a defender at the same time. Set up a few scoring chances including the rush that led to Strome’s second goal.
Yep he did a good job of turning away from the danger zones where turnovers were bound to happen. He also did a better job of absorbing punishment and keeping the puck. And using his teammates when a play isn't there to keep the puck and play alive.

In short...he's beginning to show the fruits of david quinn's coaching...all the stuff he's been talking about since kakko came to the league.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Confidence is definitely starting to build for him. He's playing great away from the puck, which is a huge step forward. His skating is much improved. His in tight passing is very good. The next step for him is to be able to make those power moves to the net. Once he shows he can get to the net, defenders will be forced to play off him a little more and he'll have more time and space to make plays.

Also, looking more comfortable playing with someone like Panarin is huge. His skill level and developing that chemistry with him will only make that line more and more dangerous.

At some point, I would like to see him on that PP1 in Kreider's spot. In front of the net, I think his passing could be a boost to what Kreider gives in that spot. We saw numerous times last night that when Kreider gets the puck off to the side of the goalie, he couldn't really make a play in that spot to set up teammates. Kakko has better passing and could make that play back door or to the slot for a scoring chance.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Confidence is definitely starting to build for him. He's playing great away from the puck, which is a huge step forward. His skating is much improved. His in tight passing is very good. The next step for him is to be able to make those power moves to the net. Once he shows he can get to the net, defenders will be forced to play off him a little more and he'll have more time and space to make plays.

Also, looking more comfortable playing with someone like Panarin is huge. His skill level and developing that chemistry with him will only make that line more and more dangerous.

At some point, I would like to see him on that PP1 in Kreider's spot. In front of the net, I think his passing could be a boost to what Kreider gives in that spot. We saw numerous times last night that when Kreider gets the puck off to the side of the goalie, he couldn't really make a play in that spot to set up teammates. Kakko has better passing and could make that play back door or to the slot for a scoring chance.
His burst really stood out to me last night. he had a great first step which was something I dont think I'd seen from him before.
Im not sure I agree on him as a netfront on the PP. I think of Laf as more of the netfront guy, and kakko on the bumper.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don’t think he lost a single board battle all game. Kept the play alive in the o-zone a handful of times. Once he gets this stuff internalized imo we’ll also see him start getting more creative and courageous offensively due to the positive results that the little things bring
Call me crazy, but I thought that he got buried by Chara at one point. And I think that it was both good for him and a good learning situation. He came back with no hesitation whatsoever.

Reactions: The Sweetness

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
I don’t think he lost a single board battle all game. Kept the play alive in the o-zone a handful of times. Once he gets this stuff internalized imo we’ll also see him start getting more creative and courageous offensively due to the positive results that the little things bring
I wanted him so badly to create something off that short 2 on 1 he had with PDG (I think) but the WSH defenseman made a good play on him. He exuded more confidence on that play then I saw pretty much all of last season though. He's coming around.

Reactions: haveandare

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I wanted him so badly to create something off that short 2 on 1 he had with PDG (I think) but the WSH defenseman made a good play on him. He exuded more confidence on that play then I saw pretty much all of last season though. He's coming around.

I think that one was probably his one real misstep, just in how long he took to make a decision.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
Thank you. Kakko looks like player that could be superior in thight spaces.

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
I think that one was probably his one real misstep, just in how long he took to make a decision.
Yeah he was hesitant but he put himself in a good position. Just needs to be more comfortable letting his instincts take over. I was just happy that he seems to be finding more dangerous opportunities.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here

Yes, the finer details of his game
- positionally
- angling on the forecheck
- winning battles on the wall
- skating speed and closing times
- defensive stick work
- patience in understanding when to attack the puck or point man in the D zone

It all has improved, noticeably.

It's carrying the puck, making moves and getting himself into open lanes for a clear shot that is still coming. His play on the walls with the puck has always been decent, but that will improve too. He is NINETEEN.

You know what too - Look at Buch.

They are similar players in some regards. Pavel had very similar issues carrying the puck into the offensive zone up until this season. He has improved a TON in this facet of his game. He has banked enough knowledge in his 3 1/2 season to know what he can and cannot pull off. He knows he can't go through 2 or 3 guys with the puck. Its almost night and day really.

He's actually "beating" defenseman 1 on 1 entering the zone and starting to drive the play, which he never really did. He was usually stopped, knocked down or he turned the puck over. Its easy to see the confidence he has with the puck now and he has learned the ability to pull up, button hook, take the open ice given to him or flat out beat defenseman with a low risk move to retain possession.

I see the same thing happening with Kakko (and Laf), and honestly judging by his improvement and pedigree it may even be quicker than Buch. We are talking about Kakko having these abilities at the NHL level at 20-21 not 25.

Last edited:

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Would love to see him on the pp.
I know Buch has been great overall but maybe just give the kid a chance

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Hes been MUCH better at getting pucks back in the DZ when he doesnt have it this year.

Monster performance by him in this game where his stat line should have been better.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Would love to see him on the pp.
I know Buch has been great overall but maybe just give the kid a chance

The entire 2nd unit doesn't get a lot of time because the 1st unit has been so good at maintaining possession in the offensive zone, which wouldn't be an issue if they were scoring more. I think once Zib gets back to form, the 1st unit will take off again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->