Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Next game is again Islanders if we look bad and lose again I think Quinn gets fired that would be 6 losses in a row for him.

oops wrong thread.

Zynbanejad

To Blais or Not To Blais
Jul 7, 2010
Stop comparing Kakko to Laf.

Prospect difference between Kakko and Laf is massive.

Like Laf has potential to be TOP5 PLAYER in this league.

Kakko doesnt even have potential to be top10 WINGER.

Also they need to send Kakko to place where he can play top minutes in top line to regain confidence.

lol like he’s gonna succeed under Torts. Remember how he treated the youth here? And euros?

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Next game is again Islanders if we look bad and lose again I think Quinn gets fired that would be 6 losses in a row for him.
No way. But if Quinn continues like this for 5 games, then you start looking elsewhere. The Isles are a good team. Not a great team, but a good one, and a bad matchup for us. We play the Isles again, the Devils, the Pens twice, then Buffalo twice. I'd give him until the end of the month to start showing some amount of turnaround.

Kakko's development needs to improve. We know what he's capable of. We know he's skilled. He needs to start thinking the game quicker. It's not like he has a low hockey IQ either. The fact the whole team was bad makes me feel less bad about Kakko and more bad about Quinn. We saw significant improvement during the bubble. We saw more energy, more determination, and more initiative from him. If we can see more of that, if we can see some confidence building from him, I think he'll be fine.

Jauffre

Registered Grandmaster
Oct 10, 2009
Cloud Ruler Temple
Think we all knew deep down that Kakko wouldn't just light it up against NYI out the gate.

But does nearly anything he does out there make you think "Wow look at all that protentional"?! He looks lost during his shifts, gassed by the time they're over.

Alexis Lafresque** (btw) showed multiple glimpses of the hands/patience/mind. Not to compare the two outright, but the gap is obviously astronomical.

It's not a bad idea to seriously consider moving him before it's out in the open that he may not be a first-line forward. His value is still sky high right now. That being said I hope he finds his confidence and learns the NHL game ASAP.

Last edited:

bondra

Jan 18, 2019
i have question for serious answereres at this forum.

kakko has here a been now for quit long time. today he play for only 11 min. i not see game. ,.....new kid come in in lafresque something ( one of these very speed skating one ) and he already passed kakko in icetime in first game as playing of around 15 min.

what hell marking does this give to kakko? how does his confidence grow and hurt from this?

i feel finnish hockey player dont give credit here easy in NHL. he not american he not canadian. this is why he not play more and grow spurth from much ice time taking place.

if not trusted and letting play his game he will not turn in good here. he is hell of a player. better than lafresque BUT. what the hell is going on again here?

PLAY HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!................what is a going on here? he is young player and they might have soon ruined his NHL careers

i see he sucked some say. hey....he playd 11 min. and how little he must have playd in first period for getting like benched here. what the heck? bench zibanejaded then!!!! huh! let kakko play . he like god. hockey god. he must have built confidence at ice. . no matter if he suck. he must be playd to succeed. they must play him. he is best

sir avgard hockeyprofessor

I cant stop laughing to this, thanks for making my day :laugh:

Its like quote from shakespeare.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stubu

avgard

Jan 8, 2017
remember when kakko danced christmas eve around poor little hughes brother at WJCG one year back. after this came NHL and rangers took his confidence off by playing him at very low minutes. this happen somethimes. some players not taking it very good resulting in falling spirals and ruined career and backstreet living.

what could have been so so good. i hope there still will be rising but when first game is 11 minuntes while supernew skater lafresque rewarded with 16 minutes is a cold hardened dicky in already softed ass right there.

rangers headquarters time to wake up and play the finnish boy at american land for very very big minutes. these days lafresque must be behind kakko. it is kakkos turn. he came here before. thanks

i am very surprise by behaviours at this club. i remember when kakko came here he immediately was given very little icetiem and had to deal with not getted boosted confidence to play with as of low minutes in games. then now today coming in is american/canadian fast skater and already hurry to give new boy toys and very very high minutes. i suspect they continue given him more minutes and as minutes grow he can do more at ice and then he will not suffer with low confidence.

i wonder why not world atlete in kakko not favourited and putted to grow immediately and ....many surprising here for me

Last edited:

Jauffre

Registered Grandmaster
Oct 10, 2009
Cloud Ruler Temple
remember when kakko danced christmas eve around poor little hughes brother at WJCG one year back. after this came NHL and rangers took his confidence off by playing him at very low minutes. this happen somethimes. some players not taking it very good resulting in falling spirals and ruined career and backstreet living.
what could have been so so good. i hope there still will be rising but when first game is 11 minuntes while supernew skater lafresque rewarded with 16 minutes is a cold hardened dicky in already softed ass right there.
rangers headquarters time to wake up and play the finnish boy at american land for very very big minutes. these days lafresque must be behind kakko. it is kakkos turn. he came here before. thanks

Can we get this guy to replace Quinn?

TC82

Aug 27, 2012
Well I was already afraid this would keep happening with Quinn & Kakko after Quinn said in an interview that Kakko should know his role on this team. He's trying to turn him into a checking forward. Lafreniere didn't really do much but was on the ice on both PP and PK too. Kaapo had some spare seconds on the PP (58 seconds). Not sure what Quinn has against him, but it's becoming obvious. Expect him to shuffle the lines so that Kaapo will be playing with Howden & Lemieux again shortly for 9 minutes.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

i am very surprise by behaviours at this club. i remember when kakko came here he immediately was given very little icetiem and had to deal with not getted boosted confidence to play with as of low minutes in games. then now today coming in is american/canadian fast skater and already hurry to give new boy toys and very very high minutes. i suspect they continue given him more minutes and as minutes grow he can do more at ice and then he will not suffer with low confidence.

i wonder why not world atlete in kakko not favourited and putted to grow immediately and ....many surprising here for me

I don't even know what this is lmao.

I don't think they took his confidence. They haven't used him well though, that I can't argue with.

CameronNeely

May 11, 2019
Just one game I realize that... but still..

IMO Kakko's biggest issue is his ability to read the plays in almost every situation. He has some puck skills and is relatively good when he gets the puck inside the oz. But to me it seems he has serious problems to get open with good timing in relation with his teammates. That's why he doesn't get a lot controlled pucks to open ice, time and while he is already moving to right direction. Instead he often seems to be almost standing still and be in trouble from the get go when he touches the puck. And even worse he is often the last player to react to loose pucks. Sometimes it feels like he doesn't realize he is the nearest guy and it is his to puck to retrieve. Same goes with gap control. He gives up a ton of space to his man and is timing his "gap squeeze" very poorly. And in dz he seems to be guarding his d-man "slavishly" as if he was instructed to do just that in order to avoid more damage..And same goes here..sometimes it seems to me he could intercept a pass or close the gap on another player effectively or get a loose puck as the closest player, but instead he just stands there in front of his d-man outside the play..

I think he has some issues that are actually quite difficult to teach if they don't come naturally. I don't think it is lack of trying. It is more just being out place and confused. Good quick decisions aren't being made in that state of mind. Can say that from my own experience :)

I hope I read my post after a couple years and feel embarrassed. I hope all the best for the team and Kaapo, but I am worried to say the least.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Just one game I realize that... but still..

IMO Kakko's biggest issue is his ability to read the plays in almost every situation. He has some puck skills and is relatively good when he gets the puck inside the oz. But to me it seems he has serious problems to get open with good timing in relation with his teammates. That's why he doesn't get a lot controlled pucks to open ice, time and while he is already moving to right direction. Instead he often seems to be almost standing still and be in trouble from the get go when he touches the puck. And even worse he is often the last player to react to loose pucks. Sometimes it feels like he doesn't realize he is the nearest guy and it is his to puck to retrieve. Same goes with gap control. He gives up a ton of space to his man and is timing his "gap squeeze" very poorly. And in dz he seems to be guarding his d-man "slavishly" as if he was instructed to do just that in order to avoid more damage..And same goes here..sometimes it seems to me he could intercept a pass or close the gap on another player effectively or get a loose puck as the closest player, but instead he just stands there in front of his d-man outside the play..

I think he has some issues that are actually quite difficult to teach if they don't come naturally. I don't think it is lack of trying. It is more just being out place and confused. Good quick decisions aren't being made in that state of mind. Can say that from my own experience :)

I hope I read my post after a couple years and feel embarrassed. I hope all the best for the team and Kaapo, but I am worried to say the least.

I don't really agree with the first half, but the DZ stuff is spot on.

OTOH, it can be taught.

Seele

Jul 13, 2013
While Kakko is not Puljujärvi and Puljujärvi is not Kakko, I'm beginning to see same path here. Whole Quinn - Kakko case feels to my like pushing square peg to a round hole.

screenshot-2018-07-24-13-33-35.png

bondra

Jan 18, 2019
In my opinion its about transition.

I think Kakko has every tool to be good player in NHL, but on smaller ice against better opponents than in Finland, Kakko does not have the time to survey the ice and find an open pass. Justifiably lacking the confidence to take his time, flinging the puck in the general direction of a dangerous area (the net or the slot) is almost always his preferred option, and it almost never works out. In liiga Kakko was huge posession player and I think we all have seen that it doesnt work in NHL.

Kakko is still young and sometimes it takes time to everything click together. Sad fact is that Quinn isnt helping this.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
He had a couple of decent shifts, a bunch of unnoticeable shifts. unfortunately that was the way his linemates looked too

He didn't look as assertive as he did in the bubble which is the concerning part for me. Seems like he's once again feeling his way out on the ice and he needs to stop that shit. He'll never succeed in the NHL if he doesn't become more of a puck hound. Stop standing around, stop slowly skating towards your man to forecheck, stop swiping with the stick, just go after the puck, play the body. This is all shit Quinn keeps saying he wants his players to do anyways, he's not gonna get mad about Kakko becoming a forechking monster or something.

Stop looking indecisive and just go after the puck. Look at what Buchnevich did with his game in a similar way

game will flow from that, you'll have the puck more and more things will happen

Stop standing around waiting for Panarin to do something

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
He had a couple of decent shifts, a bunch of unnoticeable shifts. unfortunately that was the way his linemates looked too

He didn't look as assertive as he did in the bubble which is the concerning part for me. Seems like he's once again feeling his way out on the ice and he needs to stop that shit. He'll never succeed in the NHL if he doesn't become more of a puck hound. Stop standing around, stop slowly skating towards your man to forecheck, stop swiping with the stick, just go after the puck, play the body. This is all shit Quinn keeps saying he wants his players to do anyways, he's not gonna get mad about Kakko becoming a forechking monster or something.

Stop looking indecisive and just go after the puck. Look at what Buchnevich did with his game in a similar way

game will flow from that, you'll have the puck more and more things will happen

Stop standing around waiting for Panarin to do something
He didn’t look decisive because he never had the puck, I’ve said this in other threads and I’ll say it here. Panarin is puck dominant. Kakko is puck dominant. If they’re both on the same line one of them has to change their style of play (hint: it’s not gonna be panarin).
Panarin needs a forechecker and a shooter on his line. kakko needs a shooter and a fore checker on his line.
can we see panarin and kakko work together? Sure, but it won’t be quick and easy. Kakko had a couple good shifts where he was around the net and he had a solid one timer attempt. That’s what it would look like with panarin.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
He didn’t look decisive because he never had the puck, I’ve said this in other threads and I’ll say it here. Panarin is puck dominant. Kakko is puck dominant. If they’re both on the same line one of them has to change their style of play (hint: it’s not gonna be panarin).
Panarin needs a forechecker and a shooter on his line. kakko needs a shooter and a fore checker on his line.
can we see panarin and kakko work together? Sure, but it won’t be quick and easy. Kakko had a couple good shifts where he was around the net and he had a solid one timer attempt. That’s what it would look like with panarin.

Panarin played two full seasons with Patrick Kane...both want the puck a lot.

Reactions: BreadKick
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->