Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Ottawa should not let Drysdale get passed 5 if he’s there.

chabot and Drysdale would be a heck of a duo

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Always amazes me when 18/19 year old prospects are cast aside because they don't have insane stats in their first full season. These kids aren't even fully grown into their bodies yet :laugh:
Look at Kotkaniemi. Played a decent first year, shocking sophomore season, injuries and even got sent to the AHL. And he has been one Montreals best forwards in this postseason.

The best example of all of these is MacKinnon. He played pretty decent, but not great during his ELC. His first contract year wasn't that great either. And now look at him, pretty much unarguably the 2nd best player in the league, the complete package.

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ
Footage from Kakko's performance in Game 1 of the series against Carolina.

What exactly did Kakko do in this series to get people excited about him once again? Was it all the points he rang up?

He really, really shouldn't have spent a minute in the NHL this year. Hopefully does not hold back his development, but c'mon: he showed next to nothing all season/qualifying round long.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
What exactly did Kakko do in this series to get people excited about him once again? Was it all the points he rang up?

He really, really shouldn't have spent a minute in the NHL this year. Hopefully does not hold back his development, but c'mon: he showed next to nothing all season/qualifying round long.

“highlights” when it’s just every shift he took aren’t gonna look that impressive but he showed a quicker step, more aggressive puck pursuit, and his shot analytics went from like terrible to best on the team

it’s a small sample but he basically came back and played how we all hoped he’d play earlier in the year. He showed progress and maturity

He needs to build on it for next year definitely but it was a refreshing step in the right direction. Less concerned about points considering how the rest of the team did as well

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

He was easily one of if not their best player in the playoffs.

It ain't easy to put up point when every other player around you is sleepwalking thru the game.

Kiekura

Oct 6, 2013
Footage from Kakko's performance in Game 1 of the series against Carolina.

highlights” when it’s just every shift he took aren’t gonna look that impressive but he showed a quicker step, more aggressive puck pursuit, and his shot analytics went from like terrible to best on the team

Exactly. There was massive difference on his game.

Reactions: Trade Howden

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I have a lot of confidence that Kakko will be significantly better this year

He got the Andersson excuse of "too much hockey in too short a period of time" but unlike Andersson I actually really believe it with him. You can tell from training camp on he had no stamina. Lots of shifts where he was moving for like 30 seconds and then dead. It was apparent in every on ice decision he made.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
I have a lot of confidence that Kakko will be significantly better this year

He got the Andersson excuse of "too much hockey in too short a period of time" but unlike Andersson I actually really believe it with him. You can tell from training camp on he had no stamina. Lots of shifts where he was moving for like 30 seconds and then dead. It was apparent in every on ice decision he made.

Always said he looked like me at the end of like a 12min shift in pickup hockey when there is only like one sub between teams because Jimmy was too f***ing lazy to get his shit together and show up. Leaning over almost tripping over your own skates just to have the sub say "you stay on" because he just jumped off and can't breath. I felt for Kakko....f*** Jimmy.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I mean, the NHL pace is also higher and I think it was a combo of not being in the right shape for that and also trying to mentally process and expect things that were coming at him
BUt yes I think he'll be much better next season whenever that is. I just hope his weight training is focusing on getting more explosiveness out of his lower body

Reactions: Thirty One

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
Plus he was 18. A baby. Give him a break. He will be fine. He knows what it takes now. Kreider even said that will help him immensely playing his first year in the NHL. Plus the rink size a new country away from his family etc. I think he’ll be fine. He’s wants to be the best and the go to guy.
Guess what we have multiple go to guys now. It’s crazy. Lol. I’m so excited. LGR!!!

BKGooner

Jun 23, 2017
I prefer to think of it as Lafreniere's orbit. He is going to be in the gym/at the practice rink early and stay late. You want the puck, be there too. You want to sit at the locker next to his especially as another young guy coming up in the team together. Alexis will be getting the big media attention, so you can go about your business. I know the Rangers need the vets to keep things going the right way, but this is a young mans' team now.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Any report of Kaako doing some off ice training during this time off to gain explosiveness and improve his conditioning? Looking to see if he's been working with special trainers etc

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Any report of Kaako doing some off ice training during this time off to gain explosiveness and improve his conditioning? Looking to see if he's been working with special trainers etc

He has been working with Hannu and Marko Rautala every summer in Finland. They are well-respected and work with guys like Laine, Selanne, Aho, Rantanen and many other current and former star hockey players in Finland.

You could say they are the Finnish equivalent of Ben Prentiss.

On top of that, he has been on the ice with Georgiev, Reunanen and some former TPS teammates while practicing in Turku

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->