Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Especially not come playoff time. The Devils just seem like they're being built haphazardly. The Rangers are being built with a definite eye towards heavier hockey, especially up front.

They've got quite a few high picks in this draft...how they use them will likely go a long way in determining how their rebuild goes.

Reactions: TopShelf86

Speedtrials

May 31, 2006
BB
It's still strange to me to realize how long the Devils organization has been bad. They had the one random run in 2012, but it's been close to 10 years now. Growing up they were a powerhouse along with Detroit and Colorado. Other than Nico, Smith, and Hughes I don't see a lot in their pipeline for struggling as much as they have.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

TheBPA

Jul 1, 2004
By the way, Dach and Kakko averaged almost the exact same amount of ice time this year

And had the same number of points. I guess this is all just because Dach’s team is (barely) still alive? I mean, they beat a half-team in Edmonton and now that they are playing a team with a profile similar to Carolina, they are getting absolutely run over.

Time will tell who ends up being the better player, but I fail to see how Dach’s development has been handled any better or looks more promising than Kakko’s.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
It's still strange to me to realize how long the Devils organization has been bad. They had the one random run in 2012, but it's been close to 10 years now. Growing up they were a powerhouse along with Detroit and Colorado. Other than Nico, Smith, and Hughes I don't see a lot in their pipeline for struggling as much as they have.

I'm just praying that they don't make out like gangbusters in the coming draft. A-holes have 3 first rd. picks.

TopShelf86

Aug 16, 2020
Always amazes me when 18/19 year old prospects are cast aside because they don't have insane stats in their first full season. These kids aren't even fully grown into their bodies yet :laugh:
I agree but it's not the fans fault...its difficult to ignore all that hype around certain players
Some ppl thought KK was gonna have 70pts in year one ffs

I think he will find it this year because when he did score except for one goal they were all pretty strong moves. So he finds his endurance and timing AND eases up on himself he will be just fine.

Black Aces

Oct 4, 2008
I'm just praying that they don't make out like gangbusters in the coming draft. A-holes have 3 first rd. picks.
As long as they draft the Pavel Zachas of the world there will be nothing to worry about. fortunately the two other 1sts they acquired are not as high as we all originally feared they could be.

Reactions: Leetch3 and jas

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
And had the same number of points. I guess this is all just because Dach’s team is (barely) still alive? I mean, they beat a half-team in Edmonton and now that they are playing a team with a profile similar to Carolina, they are getting absolutely run over.

Time will tell who ends up being the better player, but I fail to see how Dach’s development has been handled any better or looks more promising than Kakko’s.

Kakko did that playing with Howden mostly. Then got to play with Howden and 20 year old Chytil. And was glued to the bench anytime he made a mistake. Also getting very little pp time so that Ryan Strome could be out there. That hasn’t been the case with Dach. And usually isn’t the case with rebuilding teams and their future star prospects. They’re given every opportunity to play and work thru mistakes. This isn’t about Dach just an example. We very much played with an eye on the playoffs regardless of what JD and Gorton say.

Reactions: mas0764

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Kakko's play did get better towards the end of the season and he was probably our best forward during the play in.

Theres a reason he was the one who ended up moving into Fast's vacated spot and not someone like Howden, who we know the coach loves.

He wasn't put in an ideal position to succeed, but that has more to do with the team we were running out there than anything else. He'll get his top 6 minutes next year.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Imo your going to have 3 kids running wild for the Rangers next season.

Lafreniere Chytil Kakko.

And I don’t mean as a line I mean 3 young kids just running a muck out there on the league. It’s going to be a lot of fun to watch them break out.

oh and then there’s Mika and Bread

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Especially not come playoff time. The Devils just seem like they're being built haphazardly. The Rangers are being built with a definite eye towards heavier hockey, especially up front.
They’ve gotten unlucky in that they’ve sucked and won the lottery at the wrong time. They’ve also made a couple of questionable picks.

Regarding Kakko, I think we all agree that Laf is and will be a superior player. Has anyone discussed potentially trading Kakko for C help? Like a move for someone of similar pedigree and age but at the C position? Is that what the Dach discussion is about?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
They’ve gotten unlucky in that they’ve sucked and won the lottery at the wrong time. They’ve also made a couple of questionable picks.

Regarding Kakko, I think we all agree that Laf is and will be a superior player. Has anyone discussed potentially trading Kakko for C help? Like a move for someone of similar pedigree and age but at the C position? Is that what the Dach discussion is about?

Who are you going to trade for that's the same age and same pedigree? There's no one out there...

At this point no I don't think you trade anyone, let them develop and play. Look for other ways to fill roster holes. A decision between Kakko and Lafreniere may come down the line when they're due contracts that may be huge but if that's the case then it means both of them have become star players and it's a good problem to have.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

They’re also right in the range of picking Marco Rossi. He’s probably be BPA by the time they pick, wonder if they pass him up for some defense or someone a little bigger? They’re building an army of smurfs over there.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
They’re also right in the range of picking Marco Rossi. He’s probably be BPA by the time they pick, wonder if they pass him up for some defense or someone a little bigger? They’re building an army of smurfs over there.

I don't think Rossi gets past Anaheim.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Warms the heart, doesn’t it

Reactions: UnSandvich
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad