Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Lafreniere taking pressure off of Kakko is a really good point. I don't think people realize how much pressure these young kids are under playing for NY. If you're a kid not from here and you arrive in NYC, it's like a totally different planet. People, places, language, attitude, style, cultures, buildings, it's all here and then throw in the media, fans, gossip, these kids must put a lot of pressure on themselves to perform and i'm glad Kakko will have someone to take pressure off of him. They can help each other.

I don't think Kakko's issue was pressure but it definitely helps this team if our guys are a little more comfortable.

maybe, i kinda think Zibby and Panarin take the pressure off everybody.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Absolutely, from the stories I've heard he really wants to be THE guy. He is super competetive. Who knows, maybe the fact that Laf is getting the big expectations over him might push him into another gear.
It sounded like he was a little disheartened when one game he could be on the 2nd line then next 4th line minutes and not be THE guy. Being that competitive could have either put more pressure on him to get to the 1st-2nd line or taken some confidence away because he didn't earn it.

FinRanger

Jan 15, 2013
I do think having the spotlight off him will probably let him breath a little easier, but at the same time Kakko is extremely competitive so I think that will drive him to that next level all the same. He want's to be THE guy, he's said as much. Gonna be so fun watching those two grow.

Given the circumstances it's unlikely, but they better not pull that crap with Laf
Ha yea but it is what it is. It did not seem to actually bother Kakko that much. But probably did not like it either.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Kakko wants the spotlight. He just needs his body to catch up. We’ve seen a leap already but you gotta get the kid top 6 mins next year. Figure it out. But these star prospects need ice time. Burying them in your bottom 6 isn’t going to help them develop.

that’s why it’s almost better for bad teams to get these kids. They’re forced to play them big mins and they shine right away at least offensively. Powerplay top 6 mins.

burying them on third lines with Brett Howden and no pp time isn’t helping.

Lafreniere and Kakko need mins this season. Real mins

Reactions: B17 Apricots

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Kakko wants the spotlight. He just needs his body to catch up. We’ve seen a leap already but you gotta get the kid top 6 mins next year. Figure it out. But these star prospects need ice time. Burying them in your bottom 6 isn’t going to help them develop.

that’s why it’s almost better for bad teams to get these kids. They’re forced to play them big mins and they shine right away at least offensively. Powerplay top 6 mins.

burying them on third lines with Brett Howden and no pp time isn’t helping.

Lafreniere and Kakko need mins this season. Real mins

I agree. But they don't necessarily need them on opening night. I have no problem starting them on the 3rd line if they have the opportunity to move up as they show they are deserving.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Look at Dach right now. Playing with Kane on the second line. First powerplay. Not necessarily because he earned it during the regular season. But the hawks are never afraid to put kids into big spots. He looks great right now. Playing above Saad DeBrincat Strome. Big mins and make no mistake hawks are getting pummeled with him out there most nights lol

we kept Kakko glued to Brett Howden and played Ryan Strome on PP1 ahead of him where maybe some contributions in that spot would have given him some confidence and pushed his pt totals up.

just examples but you have to put these kids in positions to succeed. I don’t think we did a good job of that with Kakko last year imo.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
And just to add true rebuilding teams don’t care about results. They care about development of their future stars regardless of wins/losses

we signed Panarin, traded for Trouba and play Jesper Fast on the second line and Ryan Strome on the top pp unit because regardless of what JD says this org wanted to win as many games as possible last year and make the playoffs.

Ps I loved the Panarin And Trouba moves to be clear.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Kakko got a lot better usage than his play dictated. When he played better he got better opportunities.

Reactions: GAGLine

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Look at Dach right now. Playing with Kane on the second line. First powerplay. Not necessarily because he earned it during the regular season. But the hawks are never afraid to put kids into big spots. He looks great right now. Playing above Saad DeBrincat Strome. Big mins and make no mistake hawks are getting pummeled with him out there most nights lol

we kept Kakko glued to Brett Howden and played Ryan Strome on PP1 ahead of him where maybe some contributions in that spot would have given him some confidence and pushed his pt totals up.

just examples but you have to put these kids in positions to succeed. I don’t think we did a good job of that with Kakko last year imo.
Was Kakko not on Panarin's line for a good chunk of the 3 play in games?

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Seriously? I don’t mean for 5 mins and Was fairly confident people would get that.
Well, he also sucked and couldn't keep up with the play for most of the regular season, so it's kind of hard to fault anyone for not stapling him to the top 6 just because he was a high pick. I'd prefer he got more time on PP1 than he did, but that's a bit of a nit pick.

E: To me the thing about Dach playing well just cuts down the 'player x played against men so he'd be more ready for the NHL' thing

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
And just to add true rebuilding teams don’t care about results. They care about development of their future stars regardless of wins/losses
Who are these rebuilds?

Kakko played 128 minutes this season alongside Panarin, and struggled there too. Having him struggle for 19 minutes instead of 15 minutes, being a bigger part of the offense, and being a bigger reason the offense fails, would not have been the answer.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

fair points but if there was a fool proof way of developing players everyone would do it. You can also ruin a prospect and his confidence by putting him in situations he isn’t ready for and completely over his head. The key is knowing when to expose them to more situations and responsibilities...

If kakko has played with panarin he would have put up more points but that doesn’t guarantee he is being developed into a better player.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Dach very much earned his way into bigger minutes this year. He wasn't gifted time at all and for my money was superior to Kakko this season. I was telling people during their draft year that the gap between Kakko/Hughes and Dach wasn't as big as people were making it out to be.

TopShelf86

Aug 16, 2020
I realize hes 19 in his first season adjusting to north America lifestyle and Ice
And yes did show flashes of skill

Having said all that...
I look at Svechnikov and I'm like OMG....stop making me wish we got the 2 pick a year earlier

I'm sure he will be fine. I just hope we put him in the best possible position to reach his fullest potential.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I realize hes 19 in his first season adjusting to north America lifestyle and Ice
And yes did show flashes of skill

Having said all that...
I look at Svechnikov and I'm like OMG....stop making me wish we got the 2 pick a year earlier

I'm sure he will be fine. I just hope we put him in the best possible position to reach his fullest potential.
Were you saying that after Svechnikov's rookie season?

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Were you saying that after Svechnikov's rookie season?
I was using Svechnikov's rookie year as an example of why people shouldn't pencil Kakko in for 50-60 points this past season. But since it's relevant to a conversation on this page, it should also be pointed out that Svechnikov spent a good deal of time on the Hurricanes 4th line in his rookie season (he still averaged less than 17 minutes a game this year too) and he seems to be doing alright

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
The thing that kakko will never have is svechnikov’s shot. Other than that I Hope he can develop just as well as Svechnikov did in his second year especially hopefully playing along more talented linemates

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Kakko is considered shit now on the main boards. Apparently Hischier, the 50 point wonder if a better prospect.

I was in Honors and AP classes in high school and P.E. class was always eye opening because you were in there with people whom you wouldn’t normally associate with. It felt very much like “how the other half lives.”

On the rare occasion I venture to the main boards, I get very similar feelings.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I was in Honors and AP classes in high school and P.E. class was always eye opening because you were in there with people you wouldn’t normally associate. It felt very much like “how the other half lives.”

On the rare occasion I venture to the main boards, I get very similar feelings.

I was just having a conversation with my friend about how I have a friend whose whole group of friends are a bunch of blue collar people and I feel that exact same way every time I hang out with them.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

You mean Dach didn't have to play 9 months on the 4th line learning how to dump the puck and go for a line change, and the coach just lets him do what he does best? What the hell is that coach thinking?! :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad