Player Discussion Kaapo Kähkönen

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Is he transforming into the Wild’s number 1?

I think he's definitely cemented the "1-B" role...and I think that will remain the rest of the regular season given the compressed schedule. If the Wild make the playoffs, it will be interesting to see who starts game 1 between the pipes.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids

tenor.gif

Bruinguru

Jul 8, 2013
Saskatoon, SK
Am I missing something? I get that he's fairly young, and maybe not proven over the long haul, but he looks great and I really don't think Talbot is that good.

Numbers don't lie... Well, until they do...

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Am I missing something? I get that he's fairly young, and maybe not proven over the long haul, but he looks great and I really don't think Talbot is that good.

Numbers don't lie... Well, until they do...

He does look great and I think he has shed the label of "backup" and will see more games the rest of the way than was probably originally expected.

I think Talbot is fine. He's better than Dubnyk and Stalock, anyways, and that's good enough for this team.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Can't imagine it's been any sort of ideal start to the season for Talbot. Guy just hasn't had any luck to get fully going.

I'm interested to see when KK goes cold how bad does he get and how does he rebound and respond. The way he's playing he's likely to earn a nice contract by next season.

It'd be nice to do a long term reasonable deal on a good starting goalie before he tops out contract value.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
* All first- and second-year NHL players, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward protection limits.

Kaapo Kahkonen Stats and News

I guess I'm missing something.

I would expect it's a typo by an intern or someone providing copy. It says its following the same draft rules as Vegas, and in Vegas's case that clause read:

* All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).
Can be seen here.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Can't imagine it's been any sort of ideal start to the season for Talbot. Guy just hasn't had any luck to get fully going.

I'm interested to see when KK goes cold how bad does he get and how does he rebound and respond. The way he's playing he's likely to earn a nice contract by next season.

It'd be nice to do a long term reasonable deal on a good starting goalie before he tops out contract value.

He will get a nice contract for sure.

There WILL be playoffs and that is where the goalies have to prove themselves. I want to see a tight series, where goalie turns the tides standing on his head, because that is what you need if you want to become a contender. Last time goalie had amazing season in Minnesota, and was rewarded with a long contract, he came out with 30% playoff win rate during that contract. This and the fact that management refused to try alternatives led to years of suffocating playoff results. I would not give a long contract to a goalie, especially one that hasn't been proven in a real high stake game. If KK has a good postseason, I would expect him to have learned good habits from it and to be able to repeat it later on.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Contract expectation?

Demko’s $5M x 5 is a somewhat relevant comparison. He’s only going to have 1 RFA year left when his contract expires, so it’d be tough to bridge him. BG will have to decide if he’s seen enough to go long-term on him or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad