Post-Game Talk: K .... (Leafs lose 3-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Scheifele kneeing McBackup in the head, accidental or not, was brutal as well. Scheifele then drew a penalty and then the Jets scored.

JVR blatantly got high sticked and then the Jets went the other way and scored.
Did you know Jets hire an ex-Ref as their something something consultant? They knew the "grey area."
Actually, Leafs played different after Dermott got hurt, but it is ok :popcorn:.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
100% this.
I suspect there must be a mandate from Babs to not retaliate. As a player I would be embarrased.
All year this has been happening. If i am the opposing team watching video of the leafs,seeing no retribution, no call from the refs,then for sure running the goalie will be a part of the strategy. Wonder if Lou and/or Shanny have noticed . Maybe nothing will be done until there is a serious injury.
I don't there is a Babs' mandate. Did Jack get a penalty? It was the ref.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I fear Big, Strong, Physical teams will give the Leafs problems.
I fear big, fast, physical teams will give the leafs problem. That seems to give the leafs a headache as they can't skate them into the ground so get manhandled.

Lots of big, fast, physical teams in the league too.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think Babcock's insistence on guys like Komarov in the lineup, however flawed, is a response to this mismatch between Toronto and bigger, heavier teams that also have speed. Winnipeg was free to crash and bang, the Leafs didn't have much of a response, and often in those situations, "accidental on purpose" contact possibly leading to injuries becomes rampant. It's like a game of attrition where the bigger players throw their weight around and if you get battered and bruised and miss time to injury, tough luck.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Another thing is Andreas Johnsson probably would have been a better fit than Komarov. Komarov brings more sandpaper and agitation, but he isn't exactly a physical force, and we lose that Carl Hagelin dimension. Almost better to go all in with your strengths than to try and match Winnipeg physically with Komarov who doesn't even cut it.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I fear big, fast, physical teams will give the leafs problem. That seems to give the leafs a headache as they can't skate them into the ground so get manhandled.

Lots of big, fast, physical teams in the league too.

Leafs players to a man need to learn to be nastier to play against. Wouldn't hurt someone like Marner to get a little looser with the stick work. You see Byfuglien coming at you with his forearm? Get your stick in his face. You have Scheifele blanketing Nylander? Pop him with an elbow to the head. The perfect example of this is Brad Marchand. He's a 5'9" nothing piece of garbage but buys a ton of space for himself because he's dangerous. I'm not advocating everyone should play like a rat but a degree of unpredictability and nastiness will make other teams think twice about taking liberties.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Leafs players to a man need to learn to be nastier to play against. Wouldn't hurt someone like Marner to get a little looser with the stick work. You see Byfuglien coming at you with his forearm? Get your stick in his face. You have Scheifele blanketing Nylander? Pop him with an elbow to the head. The perfect example of this is Brad Marchand. He's a 5'9" nothing piece of garbage but buys a ton of space for himself because he's dangerous. I'm not advocating everyone should play like a rat but a degree of unpredictability and nastiness will make other teams think twice about taking liberties.
If the refs aren't going to call stuff like that, all the best teams will end up playing dirty to a degree.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If the refs aren't going to call stuff like that, all the best teams will end up playing dirty to a degree.

I would even suggest the Leafs should do it proactively. Loved the Gardiner cross check on Scheifele for setting a tone around the net.

The worst case scenario is the other team takes little hacks and jabs, starts to lean on our players and next thing you know someone else is hurt. Would rather just set the tone with some nastiness of our own, create that space to operate and then run them into the ground.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Komarov and brown should be the ones sharing duty, not komarov and aj. Blackhole brown has been getting a free pass all year....

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I don't think you will see more calls in the post season.

So do you think the structure of the team isn't tough enough for the playoffs?

I think certain teams can expose and abuse that, yes. It depends if we can get our skating going, because the refs certainly won't be doing us any favours.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Yes!

and if it's something our players can't adjust to, then some changes will have to be made. Hockey is still a physical, violent game (even more so in the playoffs), let's not forget this.

Reactions: Mad Dog Tannen

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Another thing is Andreas Johnsson probably would have been a better fit than Komarov. Komarov brings more sandpaper and agitation, but he isn't exactly a physical force, and we lose that Carl Hagelin dimension. Almost better to go all in with your strengths than to try and match Winnipeg physically with Komarov who doesn't even cut it.

Agreed 100%

Look what we did to Nashville last week or so.

We skated circles around them, cause we keep a step ahead in the puck support system.

Johnsson made that 4th line transition smoothly with the other 3 with SPEED.

Komorov cant fly with Plecs nvm Kappy.
You suddenly have easy no brainer plays if youre the Jets, cover Kappy, and pleks passing lanes, because sure as sh^t... leo aint coming across with the puck.

Johnsson flies to the net everytime creating open passes everytime. Komorov fans on basic passes.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Komarov and brown should be the ones sharing duty, not komarov and aj. Blackhole brown has been getting a free pass all year....

Brown seems like a pretty generic player you wouldn’t mind upgrading on. He’s got no real athleticism to go with his hustle and smarts. Kind of a less industrious and physical Hyman. And much slower than Kapanen and Johnsson. And not especially big. And not nearly as talented as Nylander and Marner.

Reactions: weems
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->