JVR vs Andreas Johnsson

JVR vs Andreas Johnsson, who would you take for just this season? Compare and contrast.

• Total voters

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
A lot of HFers were deeply concerned that the Leafs wouldn't be able to replace JVR's 30+ goals per season. His replacement on the LW is Andreas Johnsson, an unproven AHL star. JVR has been hampered by injuries, while Johnsson is still adjusting to the league, and they both have almost identical PPG rates. Who is the better player currently?

Code:
JVR        11gp 2g 4a  6p +1 $7,000,000
Johnsson   25gp 7g 6a 13p +6   $787,500

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Giving a slower and older winger money and term has been proven time and time again to be a terrible investment.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
I would take the 7$ dollar guy seems to me that it’s a great bargain there over the 78$ dollar Johnsson. I would take JVR I forgot about him how is he Flyers fans?

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I'm definitely not convinced Johnsson is a better or more valuable player, but I'd rather have him considering the Leafs are going to need to sign Matthews and Marner soon.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Wait are you saying there’s a Blind Leafs bias?

Yes, certainly, just as there is some blind hater bias. As a whole, it more or less evens itself out. Some polls have shown players doing much better after they join Toronto, some have shown players doing much worse (after other circumstances that could impact that though). Most have shown little to no difference.

For reference, start a “Marcus Sorensen Vs. James Neal” poll. Similar situations. JVR a little better than Neal, Johnson a little better than Sorensen. Sorensen has visibly impressed this season and put up much better numbers than Neal. Johnsson has visibly impressed this season and put up comparable numbers (per game) to JVR.

Throw in the same caveats, hell, copy the OP’s entire thread just with different names and numbers. Make sure it says “Who is the better player currently?” in the OP, and “who would you take for just this season?” in the poll question. Include contracts in the player numbers so it is somewhat vague as to whether or not contracts should be included but it appears that they shouldn’t. There will be nowhere near as many votes for the career AHLer who is just starting to impress.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Too early to tell for this season. As a player in general, JVR as he's much more proven. If you're including contracts then Johnsson for sure (for the Leafs since we need to save money for other players ie. Marner, Matthews)

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
A 24 year old AHLer with 9 career goals has half as many votes as a player who scored 36 last year.

This is exactly how we know there is no “Anti-Leafs bias” on HFBoards.
nobody is saying Johnsson is better, but JvR probably isn't 6 million dollars better. I'm not sure how him losing a poll by not as much as you expect proves anything anyway

Reactions: Kelly

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
nobody is saying Johnsson is better, but JvR probably isn't 6 million dollars better. I'm not sure how him losing a poll by not as much as you expect proves anything anyway

The OP doesn’t specify that contracts should be taken into account, though. The OP asks “Who is the better player currently?” 10 people are actually saying Johnsson is the better player, currently.

Him getting this many votes in this poll just proves that there isn’t some massive conspiracy on this forum to shit on every Maple Leafs player, particularly in the polls section.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
The OP doesn’t specify that contracts should be taken into account, though. The OP asks “Who is the better player currently?” 10 people are actually saying Johnsson is the better player, currently.

Him getting this many votes in this poll just proves that there isn’t some massive conspiracy on this forum to **** on every Maple Leafs player, particularly in the polls section.
well the poll is asking who you'd take, so I assume contracts are taken into account for that. Maybe other people feel the same?

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
well the poll is asking who you'd take, so I assume contracts are taken into account for that. Maybe other people feel the same?

He says “for just this season”, which inherently disregards the contracts. Between that and “who is currently the better player”, I’m leaning towards not taking contracts into account.

It’s certainly quite vague, which is why I suggest starting a thread between two comparable players (Marcus Sorensen and James Neal) with the same exact wording.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
He says “for just this season”, which inherently disregards the contracts. Between that and “who is currently the better player”, I’m leaning towards not taking contracts into account.

It’s certainly quite vague, which is why I suggest starting a thread between two comparable players (Marcus Sorensen and James Neal) with the same exact wording.
I don't think it disregards contracts, because even a 6 million dollar difference in cap hit for this year is a big deal. But I agree, it is definitely vague

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Leafs were smart to let JVR walk, but contracts aside he's the better player currently. Not a very well rounded player but you can't ignore his ability to put the puck in the net. If you have the space for this year you take him.

Reactions: TmlHockeyFan

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I don't think it disregards contracts, because even a 6 million dollar difference in cap hit for this year is a big deal. But I agree, it is definitely vague

Alright I made the Marcus Sorensen Vs. Neal poll, looks like Neal is losing early on no thanks to you. :laugh: Probably weren’t the best comparables since Neal is kind of falling off a cliff but it will be interesting to see the results.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015

i mean aside from scoring goals jvr does almost nothing else, johnson is faster and more versatile and is really heating up. Johnson has 7 points in his last 5 games, playing closer to 13 mins a game then the 11 he was getting before, and in a month or two this could be a blow out, with rising minutes and better linemates. Its definitely not outlandish to say johnson is better at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad