Dreger: JVR not expected back with the leafs

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
Can’t wait till jvr resigns for 6x6. This thread will be a fun re-read
I totally expect to see JVR sign some sort of deal that like.

I think JVR is a great player, i'd love to have him on Toronto but we have better, younger, and cheaper players. Its not the right move for us to keep him. That being said, If we moved him at the deadline this year we would have immediately needed an upgrade at forward. He is an internal rental for this year, and hope next year some of our youth can break out.

I don't think anyone in Toronto wants to keep him, but we all know he is a talented player.

Last edited:

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
JVR is getting paid and i wish him the best regardless of where he ends up. For how annoying he is to watch half the season, he produces and is a top tier player around the net and especially on the power play.

He wouldn't look as lazy on a line with a defensively responsible center where he can get away with it. Someone is giving him 7x7 or close to it

He can finish, but Marner has carried him and creates everything. He needs something similar and a strong defensive player

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
JVR is getting paid and i wish him the best regardless of where he ends up. For how annoying he is to watch half the season, he produces and is a top tier player around the net and especially on the power play.

He wouldn't look as lazy on a line with a defensively responsible center where he can get away with it. Someone is giving him 7x7 or close to it
If someone gives him 7x7 then im going to laugh as they get a semi decent sized boat anchor. he will solidify into a Hartnell style career. Consistant 25-30g 25-30a player. Not worth 7m.

I'd be okay with 7m only if it was a shorter term. like I can see Carolina offering 7m on a 4 year deal.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
I mean he might be worth the number for half the contract if he's playing 3rd fiddle on one of the top lines in the NHL.

He's a solid player for 6M if you have the pieces, a lot of teams do, which means he's probably bidding up to 7

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
6x6 is actually really good JvR. He's much better than any two of those three combined. If that is all he wanted, he would be signed already. A minor 1.75M increase in pay and a reasonable term.

JvR is a good player but the Leafs simply have too much talent that is improving and waiting to get a chance in the top six that it's not worth keeping him around unless he takes a discount.

It's the expected term that is the real killer though.

Obviously a guy that can put up 25 goals a year in his sleep is worth $6m but at his age only if you can get him on a 5 year deal at the most, and that is probably going to look kinda bad at some point.

Thing is JVR is going to get probably $6.5+ and maybe max term of 7 years.

And then looking at the Leafs, I'm not sure I want him on the team at all, sometimes you gotta move on for the sake of the whole team system.

He's going to play a bigger role on another team and we might miss him when things are going bad but his role is simply diminishing on this current Leafs team.

And yet he's got 36 goals which is insane.....I stand by my feelings though. The Leafs will be just fine without him and not regret passing on what his next contract will be.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I understand perfectly. During the 2014-15 season, the Leafs had hefty contracts on the books such as: Kessel, Phaneuf, Lupul and Clarkson, that completely limited the type of "hockey trades" that they could make that season to improve the team. They also traded away players on expiring contracts near the deadline that they didn't view in their long-term plans. If you call that "tanking", then what was Edmonton's excuse when they did the exact same thing that season and traded both Jeff Petry and David Perron for draft picks?
Then - Leafs fan lecturing people about how good tanking is.
Now - ashamed and denying it.

Embrace it. Good plan worked.

Reactions: Lateralous

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Then - Leafs fan lecturing people about how good tanking is.
Now - ashamed and denying it.

Embrace it. Good plan worked.

Leaf fans have the #'s to prove the only season arguable as "Tanking" was not.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
That's quite a large brush that you're using here.
At least I am using the best example ever on here of a guy being mocked and hated for 6 straight years.
Nothing compares to the Kessel situation of so many doing a 180 spin once a guy moved to another team.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Yes. Purposefully tanked for McDavid missed out, couldn't recover in 1 season got Matthews as the consolation prize.

When you Purposely tank for MCDavid, is being in a playoff spot at midseason and finishing only 27th overall proof of tanking? Would you claim that of other teams?

Reactions: Rebels57

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Man the Leafs should have packaged him with some other assets to get themselves a D. Did you see that game last night.Their D is terrible.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Man the Leafs should have packaged him with some other assets to get themselves a D. Did you see that game last night.Their D is terrible.
Did you see how Dermott got hurt and immediately after they played far worse? They were actually the better team with Dermott. So I think it's a little unfair to base their entire D without considering that. Dermott's play has been fantastic this year.
And what good D was available? They talked about JVR for Hamonic. I am thankful that did not happen last summer.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

D get hurt often, the Jets were missing two of their top six last night and our top pairing guy had his first game back shaking off the rust. Dermott will be fine for the playoffs, just a bruise sounds like.

We beat the Bruins with missing 50% of our top sixD. Leafs will be fine, that’s why good teams have depth

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Seeing as we lost our 3rd best D midway through the 1st, don't you think it's a bit expected for 5D to look trash when they're already gassed on a B2B

But yea, even with JVR's career record goals, I still wish we flipped him for a 1st+2nd+ and flipped that for a D at the deadline/draft

Reactions: bukwas

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I didn't think the Rangers would get such a sweet deal with Shattenkirk but now I'm willing to believe JVR will sign a discounted deal with the Rangers. He's been very vocal about growing up a Rangers fan much like Shattenkirk had. Actually more so. At least that's my perception of it. There is obviously a higher chance this doesn't happen now with Rangers going into rebuild mode but a few key signings in the off season could alter that timeline quite a bit.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
He can finish, but Marner has carried him and creates everything. He needs something similar and a strong defensive player

He has been on a tear since Marner was moved to Kadri/Marleau.

Marner obviously plays the slap pass to perfection and it suits JVRs style but you are wrong if you think that he was being carried. They simply complimented each other play style. Bozak is the anchor from that trio more then anyone.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
We were on a back to back and one of our better defenders was hurt for 2 periods.

At what point did you decide habs hockey was cancer for you that you decided to watch the leafs? At 2-1? 3-1?

Reactions: Mork

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Haha nice hot take. 3rd game in 4 nights on a back-to-back with the backup in net, lost Dermott to injury in-game vs a good team. 10th best PK and 13th in goals against. But lets not let facts get in the way.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Leaf fans, what is your take on JVR's future in terms of him continuing to be a 30 goal and 50 point man? I assume his skating is not a big feature of his game and he seems to be quite healthy most of the time.....how many seasons do you see him being effective into the future? Or do some of you see a Milan Lucic kind of drop off in the near future? Thanks....

grapes55

Sep 14, 2017
theneckguard.wordpress.com
Leaf fans, what is your take on JVR's future in terms of him continuing to be a 30 goal and 50 point man? I assume his skating is not a big feature of his game and he seems to be quite healthy most of the time.....how many seasons do you see him being effective into the future? Or do some of you see a Milan Lucic kind of drop off in the near future? Thanks....

I personally think JVR won't end up like the Ladd/Eriksson/Lucic kind of contracts. Jvr doesn't rely much on physicality or speed in his game so he should most likely age pretty well into the deal. If he's signed for around 6/6.5 mil for 6 years than I think it would be a good deal

Reactions: Devonator

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Pretty good if he brings the rest of the Leafs 1st PP unit with him.

Otherwise, he's going to suffer if there's no one to set him up. You can't really tip in your own shots much.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Pretty good if he brings the rest of the Leafs 1st PP unit with him.

Otherwise, he's going to suffer if there's no one to set him up. You can't really tip in your own shots much.

I mean he's consistently been a 25-30 goal guy for like 5 years. He thrives with a good playmaker on his line though for sure, but who doesnt?

Reactions: Devonator

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad