Value of: JVR next contract

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
So now that Mathews is signed the most important contract that we have upcoming is JVR.

JVR has 2 years left at 4.25 million dollars a season, right now that is a bargain contract but he is going to be due for a significant raises the question is how much of a raise? he is a key player and he is going to get a chance to put up some big numbers with Mathews assuming he turns out as expected.

I wonder hat it will take to get him singed? will he take a slight hometown discount to stay on a team that is expected to be on the rise soon

OR does he go for the most money he can get?

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Around 6 million long term sounds OK, provided he doesn't explode/bust during the next two seasons. Okposo is a good comparable.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
leafs will have a TONNE of cap space. approx 44 million with JVR,Bozak,Komarov hitting UFA and a couple key RFA like Zaitsev and Nylander to sign. this should be very easy to get done.

6x6 sounds about right. as others have already said
Eriksson/Okposo/Lucic/Ladd are fair comparables.

hopefully the leafs extend him next year and the JVR for a pile of garbage deals go away forever

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
leafs will have a TONNE of cap space. approx 44 million with JVR,Bozak,Komarov hitting UFA and a couple key RFA like Zaitsev and Nylander to sign. this should be very easy to get done.

hopefully the leafs extend him next year and the JVR for a pile of garbage deals go away forever

I forgot about Komarov he's another one we need to keep

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I forgot about Komarov he's another one we need to keep

He's 29 now, seems like he's a guy you deal at the deadline next year for a haul, no? I know you guys more-or-less have the major pieces of the rebuild in place now, but he still seems like a guy that will seek some kind of Kruger/Glendening/Martin-esque contract that you may not like going forward.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He's 29 now, seems like he's a guy you deal at the deadline next year for a haul, no? I know you guys more-or-less have the major pieces of the rebuild in place now, but he still seems like a guy that will seek some kind of Kruger/Glendening/Martin-esque contract that you may not like going forward.

If he signed for Kruger got I would be exstatic.Komarov proved last year he can play anywhere in the lineup although ideally he is on your 3rd line he provef last year he is effective in a top 6 role.

Plus you said it yourself the major pieces are in place

Mathews
Marner
Nylander
JVR
Rielly
Gardiner
Andersen

All the major pieces are in place with the exception of a Partner to play with Rielly you likely can't get that for Komarov himself.

But what you can do is build the Bottom 6 around him and that's where guys like Komarov ideally fits along with Matt Martin, Possibly Kerby Rychel maybe a guy like Cal Clutterbuck in the future

You don't trade Komarov because You're beyond the point where it's being torn down, now it's being built back up so you want to keep a guy that can play anywhere in the lineup especially when the core is so young

Mad Brills*

Komarov is fine for now, but I would let him walk in 2018, as I would with bozak.

JVR should cost 5-6 x 6.5-7 million.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Meant that as a "big dropoff in production". Poorly worded from my part.

I don't really see that happening either considering the amout of young talent we got coming ,Health permitting I see an increase in production coming

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
Having JVR locked in for two more years is a bonus. That gives the young wingers some time show their stuff. If JVR is still necessary for the 1st line after 17/18 then 6 million would be a good price. Things didn't go good with Kadri but he works real well with Bozak and i'm sure they'll try him with Matthews before long.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Komarov is fine for now, but I would let him walk in 2018, as I would with bozak.

JVR should cost 5-6 x 6.5-7 million.
You really think JVR will get upwards of 7 million? Someone that has hit 60 points once. Not saying he won't but I'd figure he's in the 5.5/5.75 million range.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
You really think JVR will get upwards of 7 million? Someone that has hit 60 points once. Not saying he won't but I'd figure he's in the 5.5/5.75 million range.

He's a UFA, he can ask for whatever he wants and there is a team out there who'll likely get it.

IDK why he'd settle for less then ucic with similar production AND younger. No reason to

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
$6.5+ Is about what he'll get, and if I'm the leafs, I wouldn't pay it. JVR is a guy I'd love to have on his current deal but I'd be very wary of paying him UFA FMV that will take him into his mid 30's.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015

And the JVR+ a pile of garbage for a star player trades will go away forever too

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Honestly, I'm trading him if I'm the Leafs. He is going to cost a lot paying him into his mid-30s.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto

Komarov already has a contract like those players. He signed a 4x2.9 contract in 2014. He's also currently better than those players. If he reproduces his season this year (which he likely won't) then he could be looking at 4mil+ on the free market, otherwise it will probably be 3.5-4 for 3-4 years

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Komarov already has a contract like those players. He signed a 4x2.9 contract in 2014. He's also currently better than those players. If he reproduces his season this year (which he likely won't) then he could be looking at 4mil+ on the free market, otherwise it will probably be 3.5-4 for 3-4 years

I think he has a shot he's going to have more talent around him then at any point in his Leaf Career

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->