Injury Report: JVR has a broken right index finger, out 4-to-6 weeks (Mar. 4); March 31 update posted

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
Frost and Farabee would’ve been perfectly fine.

Let’s not be dramatic and pretend last night was anything more than one idiot taking runs at people. Anyone at any size could be hurt by that and our small guys performed no worse than our big guys when it came to the actual hockey playing.

No.....you do not know how a player is going to react until we see it. Size is not the issue. How do you react to getting hit hard a lot. Do you take it a little slower when about to go to your next puck battle? Hockey players are not all alike and just some analytic #. Did you hear Mr. Kovalchuk's name a lot last night? No, he was drive-bying all night and stayed out of the middle. Toughness is a real thing..... I know you don't believe in it but actual hockey players do. Hagg showed a lot of it last night taking on Wilson and earned a lot of his teammates respect last night. But you will never understand that. Now quote some more points per 60 crap.

Yukon Cornelius

Oct 10, 2019
SC PA
This hurts to read.
It hurt to watch. It was that bad that Sami Kapanen had to play D for a few games. I don't doubt that with even a remotely healthy D corps they would have won the Cup that year (Calgary won the west). Sami was probably my favorite player on the team at the time; he was all heart.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
No.....you do not know how a player is going to react until we see it. Size is not the issue. How do you react to getting hit hard a lot. Do you take it a little slower when about to go to your next puck battle? Hockey players are not all alike and just some analytic #. Did you hear Mr. Kovalchuk's name a lot last night? No, he was drive-bying all night and stayed out of the middle. Toughness is a real thing..... I know you don't believe in it but actual hockey players do. Hagg showed a lot of it last night taking on Wilson and earned a lot of his teammates respect last night. But you will never understand that. Now quote some more points per 60 crap.

in Kovy’s defense that dude is one of the toughest skilled players to have ever played. He just currently is not particularly good

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Also while his D sucked he was a great PKer his whole career.
tenor.gif

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
It hurt to watch. It was that bad that Sami Kapanen had to play D for a few games. I don't doubt that with even a remotely healthy D corps they would have won the Cup that year (Calgary won the west). Sami was probably my favorite player on the team at the time; he was all heart.
Oh, I watched it. I just didn’t need the reminder.

Reactions: Yukon Cornelius

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
in Kovy’s defense that dude is one of the toughest skilled players to have ever played. He just currently is not particularly good

Kovalchuk is a dog and a quitter. Go ask his former teammates.

PSFDotCOM

Mar 5, 2020
Patrick coming back would/will be amazing, but I don't want to wait around for that.

I'd rather get Frost up now, bump Grant to 4C and Thompson to 13th forward, and then if/when Patrick comes back bench whoever is performing the poorest of Raffl/Pitlick/Grant and bump Frost to wing.

In other words, maybe something like...

Giroux-Couturier-Voracek
Farabee-Hayes-TK
Laughton-Frost-Pitlick
Raffl-Grant-NAK

then if/when Patrick is back maybe...

Giroux-Couturier-Voracek
Farabee-Hayes-TK
Laughton-Patrick-Frost
Raffl-Grant-NAK

Wait, are you seriously suggesting taking a guy like Pitlick out of the line-up?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Wait, are you seriously suggesting taking a guy like Pitlick out of the line-up?

He hasn't been bad but, given who else would be in that hypothetical lineup, it's hard to say who else deserves to sit.

Like I said, it would probably have to be one of Pitlick or Raffl. I don't really care which, although I'd lean towards Pitlick sitting because Raffl is the better possession/defensive player and neither is really going to score much on the 4th line.

PSFDotCOM

Mar 5, 2020
He hasn't been bad but, given who else would be in that hypothetical lineup, it's hard to say who else deserves to sit.

Like I said, it would probably have to be one of Pitlick or Raffl. I don't really care which, although I'd lean towards Pitlick sitting because Raffl is the better possession/defensive player and neither is really going to score much on the 4th line.

Hasn't been bad? He's been terrific. 8 goals, 19 points +10 in 60 games from a guy who's played mostly 3rd / 4th line minutes. Wow.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hasn't been bad? He's been terrific. 8 goals, 19 points +10 in 60 games from a guy who's played mostly 3rd / 4th line minutes. Wow.
Pitlick has 19 points in 60 games.
Raffl also has 19 points, but in less games played and while being a better defensive/possession player.
NAK has 14 points in 33 games played, while also being a much better possession player.
Grant has 24 points in 53 games played and is the only one who is a center, so he gets lineup priority due to that.

So how do you rationalize sitting one of the other three who have outperformed Pitlick? Again, it's not that he's been bad, it's that others have been even better.

Also +/- is a worthless stat. Don't bother citing it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad