Injury Report: JVR has a broken right index finger, out 4-to-6 weeks (Mar. 4); March 31 update posted

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004

Van Riemsdyk of Flyers breaks hand in win against Capitals

WASHINGTON -- James van Riemsdyk broke his right hand blocking a shot in the Philadelphia Flyers' 5-2 win against the Washington Capitals at Capital One Arena on Wednesday.

Flyers coach Alain Vigneault said he didn't know yet how long van Riemsdyk, a forward, will be out.

Van Riemsdyk was struck in the hand by a shot from Capitals defenseman Jonas Siegenthaler with 9:17 remaining in the first period. After being examined on the bench, van Riemsdyk exited the game.

"There are different breaks," Vigneault said. "But he took that shot right on the tip (of his hand), so I'll find out tomorrow for how long."

Van Riemsdyk has 40 points (19 goals, 21 assists) in 66 games this season.

Vigneault said forward Joel Farabee will be recalled from Lehigh Valley of the American Hockey League before the Flyers play the Carolina Hurricanes at Wells Fargo Center on Thursday (7 p.m. ET; NBCSN, NBCSP, NHL.TV).​

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
4-6 weeks probably.

5 weeks from tonight is start of playoffs.

I remember when the Penguins' Jim Johnson broke Tim Kerr's finger/hand in the 1989 playoffs. Kerr was unstoppable prior, 25 points in 12 PO games. One of the best playoffs any Flyers' forward was having ever. It was so bad, he was pointless against Montreal in the semifinals because of the slash. To this day, I will say that kept the Flyers out of the 1989 Finals. Kerr tried to play with the hand broken but it was impossible to grasp the stick properly. There was an image from the dressing room with how he was soaking in his hand in ice trying to prep. It was one of those "if a picture is worth a thousand words..." moments.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Funny how life works. This is basically the kid’s shot to force AV into playing him opening night of round 1.

Even though I can hate JVR at times, when he’s on, he’s great. The loss sucks, but have to try and keep this thing moving. Rest up, and back for the dance.

Reactions: Hexxxy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad