Confirmed with Link: Juuso Riikola re-signed (1yr/850k)

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Very poor analytics and in my opinion eye test, I think his skating made him look a lot better than he actually was. His decisionmaking with the puck needs a lot of work. Did not play like an NHL defenceman, but I think there's room for growth as he gets used to the pace and the ice size.

I think you have to chalk some of that up to adjusting to the NHL game.

His first 20 games were rough, analytically, but his next 17 showed improvement.

First 20 games:
CF% - 44.11
FF% - 44.00
SF% - 43.66
SCF% - 44.92
HDCF% - 45.37

Last 17 games:
CF% - 46.46
FF% - 48.48
SF% - 48.16
SCF% - 53.81
HDCF% - 58.82

In particular, look at the tremendous improvement in his Scoring Chances and High Danger chances numbers.

So I think saying he was terrible all season analytically is incorrect. He had a rough first half, then started to adjust and his numbers improved dramatically.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I don't think that's happening Jag. Personally, I'm fine with this to start the year:

Dumo-Letang
Pettersson-Schultz
Riikola-Gudbranson
Ruh

Shed some cap and give Pettersson and Riikola some time to see what they have in those roles. You can upgrade at the deadline if need be or sooner in the season. Obviously if you can move Schultz or bring in an upgrade over Pettersson for that spot, I am game but also trying to be realistic. The goal should be to shed some cap and put the pieces in place to grow the defense at the right opportunity.
It's certainly better than spending $7-8M on Maatta and JMFJ, but I think this is risky. If Pets was more of a sure top 4 defenseman, I'd be OK rolling with Riikola as the #6. Or if Riikola was more of an established #5 that could be another option in the top 4 if Pets struggles, I'd be OK. Having both as kind of question marks in those roles is risky to me.

Plus, Gudbranson played well for the Pens, but what if he regresses back closer to his Cancuck form? It was only ~20 games after all. I'm OK with him on the roster (although he's still not the type of defensemen I'd prefer on this team, especially at $4M), but I'm not yet buying that he's going to anchor that 3rd pairing.

Then you have the injury concerns with Letang and Schultz who are the only offensive defensemen on the roster. I, and many others, were concerned about that last off season, then Schultz got hurt, and we saw how tough it was to replace him.

I know they could fix it during the season, but that's not always easy to do depending on what the need is and it costs assets. Potentially big assets.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

His first 20 games were rough, analytically, but his next 17 showed improvement.

First 20 games:
CF% - 44.11
FF% - 44.00
SF% - 43.66
SCF% - 44.92
HDCF% - 45.37

Last 17 games:
CF% - 46.46
FF% - 48.48
SF% - 48.16
SCF% - 53.81
HDCF% - 58.82

In particular, look at the tremendous improvement in his Scoring Chances and High Danger chances numbers.

So I think saying he was terrible all season analytically is incorrect. He had a rough first half, then started to adjust and his numbers improved dramatically.

Solid spot on the number and it looks solid as relative numbers too - not like his zone starts changed significantly either. Doesn't seem to be about partners either. Could chalk it up to less Johnson time and more time with Maatta (with whom he gelled well) but that's clearly not all of it.

Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick - first 20

Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick - last 17

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006

First 20 games:
CF% - 44.11
FF% - 44.00
SF% - 43.66
SCF% - 44.92
HDCF% - 45.37

Last 17 games:
CF% - 46.46
FF% - 48.48
SF% - 48.16
SCF% - 53.81
HDCF% - 58.82

He did all of the heavy lifting with the worst iteration of Maatta that I've ever seen, as his partner. People who throw out stats that say he was garbage didn't watch the games or don't understand what they watched. He was beating Olli to Olli's corner and still getting the puck out.

If you were to ask Olii in a private conversation, I'm sure that Olli would tell you that Riikola is a better player than him.

Reactions: vodeni

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
People keep forgetting playing in Europe is very different. When the rink is bigger you can skate while you make decisions. In North America you have to move the puck via the pass more often. It simply takes in-game experience and a commitment to letting him play thru the kinks.

And a coach willing to let you grow and learn through your mistakes.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
You guys know I love what Riiko brings. I think he's a terrific #6. I want him to play.

I like Riikola too and I hope he can be the puck mover on the third pair. But, honestly, to me, it is more about giving us flexibility to get rid of Maatta and Johnson and STILL have 7 NHL Ds.

Riikola should have a chance to start the year, but he is still, IMO, someone who could be improved on. Of course, him taking a step up and earning his spot permanently would be even better. Enables us to spend assets on offense.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
No problem with the deal in a vacuum. A one year prove you can play in this league or not deal. But that comes with that they at least have to play him. At least a 3rd of more of the season so he has to at the bare of basement minimum get 27+ games. This also means a Dman has to be on the move. Even though I’m not hateful like a lot are towards JJ, probably means him or Maatta.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I suspect he stayed up because their was probably an agreement due to money (can’t remember his waiver eligibility last season). His paycheque in the minors was 70k versus 925k. Also maybe they thought he was better off training with the NHL-squad/coaches and playing half the games instead of going back to the AHL. Maatta was still better than him. So I wouldn’t have played him over him. Probably a lot of pressure to play JJ in the first year when your GM signs the guy to a 5 year deal.
Maatta wasn't consistently better than him.

Riikola looked good in some games and then didn't in others, like a rookie in the NHL would. But he showed more promise in being able to make a decent career out of the way the NHL is today, than Olli Maatta or Jack JOhnson look like they ever will at this point.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Maatta wasn't consistently better than him.

Riikola looked good in some games and then didn't in others, like a rookie in the NHL would. But he showed more promise in being able to make a decent career out of the way the NHL is today, than Olli Maatta or Jack JOhnson look like they ever will at this point.

Maatta's problem are physical (lack of foot speed, mostly). He is a very high IQ player who, most often then not, makes the right player. Due to his lack of foot speed and inhability to recover, his mistakes look much worse than they trully are.

He was, for the most part, more "reliable" than Riikola. However, at this point, his skating clearly won't improve and his medical condition, even if medicated, might be a permanent deterrant. Also, our system rely on speed, so he is clearly not a good fit.

That's why we need to move on from Maatta and give Riikola a shot at being the #6.

JJ, well, he has is moment but he is mostly a liability who takes to make cap space for too long and we have depth players who cost a fraction that can be as reliable. Plus, we acquired Gud to be a physical presence. JJ is useless on our roster.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Late to the party but f*** it, it's the off-season.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Poor decision making with the puck? Yes.
Underwhelming offensive output? Sure.
Horrible possession metrics? Absolutely.

End of the day though, he did a hell of a job at goal prevention. .944 oiSV% for the season. That's not shabby considering who he was getting paired with. In fact I'd say any of our D not named Dumoulin could learn something from Riiko in terms of protecting the house and negating backdoor opportunities. Like you'd never catch him chasing ghosts behind the net (like Johnson or Letang), leaving his man free in the slot to rifle home one-timers. He stuck to his assignments like super glue. Another thing is that he hardly took PIMs, so he didn't handicap us that way either.

That's not a guy I want in the minors, especially considering his physicality, skating and room for offensive growth.

Improving his zone clearances would go a long way to boosting his analytics. Felt that was his biggest weakness. Definitely needs more confidence/composure on breakout passes. Feel it will come though with a year in NA under his belt now.

Would be very interested to see him play with Schultz. Think people here would be pleasantly surprised at the results. He's definitely capable of locking down a middle pairing role at some point in his career.

Last edited:

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Late to the party but **** it, it's the off-season.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Poor decision making with the puck? Yes.
Underwhelming offensive output? Sure.
Horrible possession metrics? Absolutely.

End of the day though, he did a hell of a job at goal prevention. .944 oiSV% for the season. That's not shabby considering who he was getting paired with. In fact I'd say any of our D not named Dumoulin could learn something from Riiko in terms of protecting the house and negating backdoor opportunities. Like you'd never catch him chasing ghosts behind the net (like Johnson or Letang), leaving his man free in the slot to rifle home one-timers. He stuck to his assignments like super glue. Another thing is that he hardly took PIMs, so he didn't handicap us that way either.

That's not a guy I want in the minors, especially considering his physicality, skating and room for offensive growth.

Improving his zone clearances would go a long way to boosting his analytics. Felt that was his biggest weakness. Definitely needs more confidence/composure on breakout passes. Feel it will come though with a year in NA under his belt now.

Would be very interested to see him play with Schultz. Think people here would be pleasantly surprised at the results. He's definitely capable of locking down a middle pairing role at some point in his career.

And has been mentioned, this was his first season in a North American rink, you expect some growing pains. He hasn't reached his ceiling yet.
Maata and JJ have and it's ugly

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad