Confirmed with Link: Juuso Riikola re-signed (1yr/850k)

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
They likely already have a trade lined up for Maatta or (less likely) Johnson. Not expecting a ton in return for Olli. Cap space might be the most valuable asset he nets.

Riikola and Ruhwedel are both passable #6/7Ds. Riikola has a higher ceiling but he's inconsistent. I'd like to see him get more playing time in for sure; at times he looked quite good last season.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Big year coming up. He was up and down a bit in play last year. If hes gonna stick, he needs to get to work. I think the opening will be there.

Dumo-letang
Pettersson-schultz
Riikola-gudbranson

Easy.

Reactions: Rudy Russo

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
It really should be a no-brainer. Dump Maatta/Johnson, find a legitimate top four LD to play with Schultz, and run a defense unit of:

Dumo - Letang
New Guy - Schultz
Pettersson - Gudbranson
Riikola - Ruhwedel

If the right guy can be found, sure, had a LD on pair 2. If not, I am okay with Pettersson with Schultz and Riikola with Gud. Not ideal, upgradable at the deadline though.

My priority would be a winger for Geno so we can run McCann - Sid - Jake and Simon - Bjugstad - Horny/Rust

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
I feel I'm in the minority but I love the kid. People are fickle. I'll be his ride or die then
I felt he looked fine when he was playing for the penguins last year, and Rutherford should of sent him down earlier to the baby pens in the 2nd half of the season. Before he got hurt with the baby pens he was playing great, and I'm happy he will be back with the pens.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Nice. Cheap deal hopefully he’s got some improvement in him but for the price it’s good depth.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I don't know if it's decision making or just getting used to the NHL game. I thought earlier in the season he took a bit long to make decisions, but as the season wore on he was quicker with his decisions and it showed (positively) in his various "possession" numbers.

I was talking about his decision to re-sign here. :laugh: I would have gone back home if I were him.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
Naw, because he'll be buried and not given any chances with this backlog of mediocre defensemen.

I mean JJ and Maata both blew chunks in their 3 playoff appearances. Sullivan had a choice to sit both their sorry butts in favor of a guy like Rikko to really send a message.

But at least our elimination confirmed that neither is a long term solution on this team. Too bad Sullivan and comp don't see that
Meh to me him getting a 1 way deal is basically the team saying he will be a mainstay in the top 6.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Curious to see what happens here - whether the team move 2 dmen and take none back, whether he and Ruh are in a competition to avoid WBS/getting traded, whether the team is thinking of doing 8 dmen again or what.

Me, I'm content with moving 2 dmen and taking none back. You can fix that in season if you make a horrible mistake but it does wonders at giving up some space to work with, and making the defence more of a transition starter just like that.

I'd also consider pitching Riikola straight in with Schultz; he and Maatta did okay as a second pairing so its not like he can't handle the minutes or competition levels, he'd bring more physicality to the pairing than Pettersson, and Pettersson and Gudzilla have a good thing going.

I was talking about his decision to re-sign here. :laugh: I would have gone back home if I were him.

Why? Why would he give up on his chance of NHL hockey and cut his paycheque by 90%?

I really don't get the narrative that he was really badly treated and that he should have just cut and run. Most guys coming over from Europe don't get as much NHL game time/paycheques as he did. Could it have been better? Maybe, but what happened to forging through adversity? He's still in the position to become an NHL player if he learns.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I like it.. now fire Sully!

I feel like this is you and @Mike Sullivan sharing your opinions about Mike Sullivan ;)

tenor.gif

Last edited:

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
Run Riikola - Prow to start the season. Free up 11.25 million in cap by trading Gudbranson, Johnson and Maatta. Sign Edler @ 6 million and Ferland @ 5 million with the money.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I question his decision-making.

Riikola's for signing? Why wouldn't he? He's going to make 10x + the money that he'd make in Europe. And if he even gets a real chance and plays well, he can make significantly more.

Eh, $850k reasons to re-sign here. I doubt he'd make that kind of cash (in one season) back home.

He'd be lucky to get 10% of that back home.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->