Prospect Info: Juuso Parssinen, C, 210th Overall, TPS

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
What a fun ride this thread has turned into from where this kid was drafted to the expectations that have now been placed on him.

Edit: Also interesting how many of his countrymen are looking like they had iron sights on this kid early on. Some of those early comments look out to lunch only to be the most accurate part of this thread a short time later.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Season ended today with TPS falling short in the finals against the favourites Lukko. Pärssinen ends the season with 8 points in 13 playoff games. He was really good all playoffs and at some situations carried the TPS team that almost took everyone by suprise and got within two wins of the ultimate reward.

He looked legit. Gaining some real NHL buzz here in Finland.

Reactions: LCPreds

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Screw you guys. :(

I had him ranked #36 on my list. He's going to be real special.

He's a steal.

Some people who commented on this right after you posted it might need to eat some crow. Hah. No idea if 36 still holds since we've had a couple of years of actuals across all other plays from this draft class but this player's performance is obviously much better than one might expect from 210.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Some people who commented on this right after you posted it might need to eat some crow. Hah. No idea if 36 still holds since we've had a couple of years of actuals across all other plays from this draft class but this player's performance is obviously much better than one might expect from 210.

I would be curious to see how he slots in for that class as well.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Well, I hope he plays well for you guys! He's definitely had a great year.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Would like to see him work on his shot a bit more, puck protection and if he can gain 1 more step in his skating I think he can be a #2C in the NHL. As is, I think he becomes one of those 3rd line quality/2nd line style guys ... kinda Bonino-esque.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
My comment was not on the ranking but on the Eric Cartman “screw you guys” comment

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
You are welcome here anytime now send your 2021 draft scouting report to David Poile
Hahaha I wish. That would be a dream job.

I had Andreas Johnson rated fairly highly as well in his draft year and he's had a decent career. Hard to really judge him now that he's in New Jersey lol

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Is this a guy that could sneak into the Preds plan sooner than we think?

I think one year in Finland and then a year or two in the AHL is where he's at. Players with this kind of profile, especially centers (strong 2-way game, physicality, relying on hockey IQ) usually take a little more time.

He's getting there, I wouldn't rush it.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
He's going to play in Finland another year? Why sign the contract then?
I guess there are mutual benefits... on the player side, he can burn a year of ELC time and still keep playing back home where he is comfortable. But on the team side, I think we only retain rights for 4 years for players from Finland atm. So I guess if you don't get a guy under contract before that, as he inches closer to that cutoff, if he has a stupendous year in Finland or something he can start to use that as a threat to do a little bit of a Vesey-like thing. Don't really see that happening much with European prospects, but it's also possible.
:dunno:

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
He's going to play in Finland another year? Why sign the contract then?
I listened to a podcast where he talked about his future. He was part of the virtual development camp last month, but due to corona restrictions he won't take part in the actual development camp this month. Will join other prospects in rookie camp.

He said that the deal between NHL and IIHF states that if you're not a first round pick or 22 years old AND you have a contract to an European club for the upcoming season they'd have to offer you to that said club before assigning you to AHL (and that TPS would take him back). He recalls that they could send him down to AHL in December at the earliest.

When directly asked if he feels like playing in AHL and smaller rink would benefit him he said he'd definitely stay and added that it'd be possible to get call ups from there, an option that's really not viable when you play in Europe.

So yeah looks like another year in Finland.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I would think going ahead and signing the ELC now assures him hes in our plans and keeps him from possibly seeking a longer contract in europe that might be more lucrative in the short term

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think it would also be great to just see what he does in Finland next season... in the sense that he had an amazing jump in projection there already, but now... is it "for real"?... and can he take any more steps? Whatever he did last year worked out in spades. I'm down for signing up to that again. Why mess with a winning formula, if he's still not project to be on our big team?

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
After 1st (likely can't focus on the rest of the game too much, so initial thoughts right away):

I think it was his 2nd shift in he made a bad mistake in a breakout (held onto puck for too long and gave it away) and sat for the next 8-10 mins. After tv timeout he was put in for an o zone start. He won it, played it to blue line and the defender sent a seeing eye puck that went through a 4 man screen and awarded Parssinen his first point this season.

I think he only lost like two faceoffs out of maybe 10 or so (couple ties or close one's I'm not sure about). He was good on the dot, ok positioning and a breakaway on PK. Nothing fancy. He takes faceoffs on both ends and plays all situations, so outside that one mistake and sitting for it, he seems to enjoy the coach's trust.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
After 1st (likely can't focus on the rest of the game too much, so initial thoughts right away):

I think it was his 2nd shift in he made a bad mistake in a breakout (held onto puck for too long and gave it away) and sat for the next 8-10 mins. After tv timeout he was put in for an o zone start. He won it, played it to blue line and the defender sent a seeing eye puck that went through a 4 man screen and awarded Parssinen his first point this season.

I think he only lost like two faceoffs out of maybe 10 or so (couple ties or close one's I'm not sure about). He was good on the dot, ok positioning and a breakaway on PK. Nothing fancy. He takes faceoffs on both ends and plays all situations, so outside that one mistake and sitting for it, he seems to enjoy the coach's trust.
I don't think he sat 8-10 mins. He has played 13 minutes so far, which is around the same ballpark as the rest of the players with most ice-time.

1+1 after two periods, nice snipe on PP.

Is he going to play this year in Liiga? No camp for him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->