Prospect Info: Juuso Parssinen, C, 210th Overall, TPS

gobbluth

Jan 31, 2015
He might even become a good to6 C in the NHL. Incredible draft steal...

Why are preds fans more excited about him? Is it just cause you are not aware that you have him?

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Excited , but cautiously optimistic. I am only stat/highlight watching on Twitter. I have only watched him in 1 WJC game. If he comes over next year to the AHL I suspect he will start gaining more clout. The return he's already giving us as a 7th is pretty impressive.

Edit: I'll also say I don't know anything about the league he's playing in.

Last edited:

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
He might even become a good to6 C in the NHL. Incredible draft steal...

Why are preds fans more excited about him? Is it just cause you are not aware that you have him?

We are as excited as we should be at this point. He looks like he could be a steal in the 7th round. But for every Patric Hornqvist, who we also got in the 7th, there are a dozen guys who looked good at the lower level but never pan out in the NHL. We will get more excited when he comes over here and lights up the AHL.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I would still just leave him in Finland 1 more year. He has had an amazing year as a junior in a mens league. But still not "dominant". If he dominates that league next season, then he can come here and try to make our team or show what he's got in Milwaukee. I don't think we should be in any hurry. Whatever he is doing over there is clearly working, so let him keep doing it IMHO.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
The way he protects the puck is very well developed for a finnish player. If he can develop more of his dad's scoring touch when playing against men.. He is a gem for sure. Finnish offensive players who go to the AHL usually suffer from the less than skill-based coaching there. If he is not ready for the NHL he would be better off with another season in the liiga.

gobbluth

Jan 31, 2015
Excited , but cautiously optimistic. I am only stat/highlight watching on Twitter. I have only watched him in 1 WJC game. If he comes over next year to the AHL I suspect he will start gaining more clout. The return he's already giving us as a 7th is pretty impressive.

Edit: I'll also say I don't know anything about the league he's playing in.
Well the Finnish league is a tougher and better league than the AHL, but it is very difficult to compare the leagues because AHL is smaller rink and the teams play with a very different system. Also AHL is pretty much a league where players care only about themselves which is understandable. In the Finnish league the teams are really teams and winning the championship there is something all the players appreciate much more over the AHL trophy...

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Well the Finnish league is a tougher and better league than the AHL, but it is very difficult to compare the leagues because AHL is smaller rink and the teams play with a very different system. Also AHL is pretty much a league where players care only about themselves which is understandable. In the Finnish league the teams are really teams and winning the championship there is something all the players appreciate much more over the AHL trophy...
The AHL is thinned out this year due to the Taxi Squads, but in a normal year is stronger than the SMLiiga. I don't think players are any less dedicated to their teams or winning championships. They may be less attached to the city and hope to be transitioning through it moreso than settling down and growing roots, if that's what you mean, but coaches are preparing them for the NHL so holding them accountable to all the same standards of team play as you'd find anywhere really.

Last edited:

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
The AHL is thinned out this year due to the Taxi Squads, but in a normal year is stronger than the SMLiiga. I don't think players are any less dedicated to their teams or winning championships. They may be less attached to the city and hope to be transitioning through it moreso than settling down and growing roots, if that's what you mean, but coaches are preparing them for the NHL so holding them accountable to all the same standards of team play as you'd find anywhere really.
The AHL is stronger player wise, but tactics and strategies are far below the top european leagues.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
The AHL is stronger player wise, but tactics and strategies are far below the top european leagues.
Not sure I would agree with that, not as a generalization anyway. Many AHL teams specifically try to adhere to systems and strategies employed by their NHL parent in order to allow easier direct transition of promoted players. This may or may not ideally suit their player personnel mix therefore. But they aren't inherently weaker than European leagues in that sense, just stylistically different.

jusu11

Jun 27, 2012
Pärssinen with another two-point night. 36 points in 47 games.

Really great watching finnish hockey with a good Preds prospect. Been a while since Saros was playing in Liiga.

Btw 36 points rank him the 15th in Liiga this year and he is currently 4 points off from top5. There are usually only a handful of players who play at a ppg pace (this year none) so these numbers are already impressive.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Really great watching finnish hockey with a good Preds prospect. Been a while since Saros was playing in Liiga.

Btw 36 points rank him the 15th in Liiga this year and he is currently 4 points off from top5. There are usually only a handful of players who play at a ppg pace (this year none) so these numbers are already impressive.
Good context. That's exciting!

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Kid is putting together an impressive season. Second in his team in scoring with 40 points, 10th overall in the league. TPS is 3rd in the league, which is unusual for them as they've been a tire-fire the last multiple years (kind of like Toronto in the NHL, big resources but nothing to show for it) with Pärssinen leading them as their 1C. Let's hope they can also have some playoff success.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
I'm sure there are some AHL players who consider themselves too good for their teammates, but that doesn't seem like a recipe for success in getting a good shot at the NHL level. If a guy can't play as part of a unit and do what the coaches are asking in the AHL but would rather hot dog or freelance constantly, why would the NHL parent club want him around?

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Players in Finnish League/Liiga who made 40 points or more during their U20 seasons. Almost all of them are known NHL players. Following that pattern would mean that Juuso Pärssinen should become one as well.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EyR1HoJWUAAaNy3?format=png&name=900x900

I don't know how to get that twitter link working but the link higher up should do it.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
What's the next move for this kid? Is it worth it for him to play another year in the league he's in or does he need to move up in competition?

Does the KHL do a draft and have prospects or signing rights to young players? Is he developed enough to play in the KHL?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
What's the next move for this kid? Is it worth it for him to play another year in the league he's in or does he need to move up in competition?

Does the KHL do a draft and have prospects or signing rights to young players? Is he developed enough to play in the KHL?
Since every player is different, and every player wants and needs different things, it's impossible to generalize. Sadly for us sitting at home, however... we are stuck generalizing. So acknowledging that...

I wouldn't see any harm in letting him spend one more year in the SM-Liiga. He just turned 20 a couple months ago. I don't think we need to rush him along. Whatever he has been doing over there has obviously worked very well so far. Let him keep doing it. Maybe point out anything extra our guys think he can do to address his quickness or whatever, but if he's going to be an NHL player, I can't imagine it will hurt him to have another very good year in a setting that has been familiar and successful for him already. So that'd be my default stance.

But it's also up to the player to some extent. If he's really eager to sign with us and start playing in Milwaukee next season, I wouldn't necessarily hold him back from that. I think those are the only two real options, though... no point in him travelling off to any other European pro league like the KHL. If he's going to leave Turku, it really should only be for Milwaukee.

He also signed a 2-year extension with Turku in February, so I suspect that while he would still have an out clause for the Preds, it would pretty much automatically preclude any other options.

jusu11

Jun 27, 2012
Season ended today with TPS falling short in the finals against the favourites Lukko. Pärssinen ends the season with 8 points in 13 playoff games. He was really good all playoffs and at some situations carried the TPS team that almost took everyone by suprise and got within two wins of the ultimate reward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->