Confirmed with Link: Justin Williams Stepping Away

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
At his age I’m not sure how great a mid season acquisition he will be. Based on Mackenzie saying he has teams interested there’s no reason to assume it’s even our mid season acquisition.

This will be an interesting start to the season. He won’t be coming to us if we aren’t very good I would think, though I won’t care then regardless.

If you don’t want to play a full year don’t play.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
It's a bummer, at the same time, excited for the opportunities this will open up for some of the kids. Foegele and Necas in particular won't be pushed down/out of the lineup now, I don't think.

Nieds-Aho-Svech
Foegele-Staal-TT
Dzingel-Haula-Necas
Martinook-Wallmark-McGinn
Manaleinen

With Martinook and Mcginn more than capably stepping in should Necas or Foegele struggle.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I wonder if it was a compromise. Justin says "I'm done. The grind is too much at my age" Rod says "Hey, why don't you see how you feel 3 months into the season. Stay in shape, and if the situation is right, you can jump in."

In pro sports, where the regular season is such a grind, and injury almost gets inevitable for guys at his age, the half-season strategy would be a pretty good idea.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
Welp, I'm not surprised but I still have no idea what to think of it. I guess he doesn't want to retire, but can't bear the thought of another 6-month marathon with anywhere from zero to eight weeks of sprinting after that.

I wonder how we're going to handle the captaincy. One foot in and one foot out makes it really awkward to give it to somebody else, but it's also awkward to hold it for a guy who's not actually suiting up.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Welp, I'm not surprised but I still have no idea what to think of it. I guess he doesn't want to retire, but can't bear the thought of another 6-month marathon with anywhere from zero to eight weeks of sprinting after that.

I wonder how we're going to handle the captaincy. One foot in and one foot out makes it really awkward to give it to somebody else, but it's also awkward to hold it for a guy who's not actually suiting up.
We'll handle it like he was retired. No other option.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Dang. His leadership is going to be missed. Was so hoping he’d come back and bring back the Storm Surge again. Don’t know if the Surge can happen again without Justin. But if last year was his last, he ended on a dang impressive note. Last season was easily one of the best seasons ever to enjoy as a Canes fan, Williams being a huge part of that. So thankful for the memories he brought and created last season for us.

I wonder how much the Boston series affected him and the the overall toll of playing a full season + 3 rounds of playoffs. He was getting visibly frustrated on the ice during the conference finals, something we didn’t really see much of during the regular season, just didn’t look right at the near end.

Last edited:

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Sad but not unexpected. Release is worded to insinuate a mid-season addition which makes sense from a $$ standpoint. Williams could make his same $2-3 million playing only half the year and the Canes won't have to sacrifice Cap next year (which I always doubted GMBC was interested in).

Canes are relying on growth from the youth to push the team forward. Benefit of having the youngest team in the league. On paper arguably every position group is now worse than the end of last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->