News Article: Justin Williams Game 7 winning and Rangers

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
yea this and losing stoll and richards all at the same time is going to change the "room" bigtime, hockey more than most sports is the team game and DL talked about how strong the chemistry is/was and way more than their numbers wil be missed

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
yea this and losing stoll and richards all at the same time is going to change the "room" bigtime, hockey more than most sports is the team game and DL talked about how strong the chemistry is/was and way more than their numbers wil be missed

Agreed, but there comes a time when poor on-ice performance trumps anything that is brought off the ice. Stoll and Richards are both well beyond that point and I hate to say it but Williams seems like he could be headed that way. Grateful that we had him here, but I think he is going to be a bad contract for whoever signs him.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Will really miss this guy on the Kings, his play really fell off this year but he brought so many important things to this squad.

Totally agree. You can just see raw emotion in the dude, always seething with intensity. Will definitely be missed but this might be a guy DL walks away from at the right time.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Totally agree. You can just see raw emotion in the dude, always seething with intensity. Will definitely be missed but this might be a guy DL walks away from at the right time.

Yeah, you just have to hope that kids like Pearson, Toffoli, Muzzin, Doughty, etc. have learned from Williams example.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yeah, you just have to hope that kids like Pearson, Toffoli, Muzzin, Doughty, etc. have learned from Williams example.

Yeah, they got to bask in his glory, and hopefully it's something they can pass on.

For better or for worse, we'll be losing guys this offseason that have been mentors in the past...and with new kids coming up, it will be a large culture change. I hope that Doughty especially has a strong offseason as he now has to also lead by example off the ice. Williams presence will certainly be felt.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI

That is how you have sustained success in pro sports. Look at the Red Wings, Patriots and Cardinals. You have good veteran players, you get the most out of them while at the same time developing young players that know and understand the system and will be able to step in once the veterans begin to decline and/or price themselves out of your cap situation. You show faith in those younger players so you don't have to overpay Sergei Fedorov, Albert Pujols, Wes Welker and Randy Moss based on past accomplishments and not future returns.

That is another reason I was so disappointed with Lombardi's decisions last summer, his decision to show loyalty to declining veteran players and not turning the reigns over to younger guys is going to hurt the Kings chances of having that type of long term success in a cap league. The Kings have way to many guys under contract who are being paid for past accomplishments and not future results, and that has to change if we want to raise more banners to the rafters.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
That is how you have sustained success in pro sports. Look at the Red Wings, Patriots and Cardinals. You have good veteran players, you get the most out of them while at the same time developing young players that know and understand the system and will be able to step in once the veterans begin to decline and/or price themselves out of your cap situation. You show faith in those younger players so you don't have to overpay Sergei Fedorov, Albert Pujols, Wes Welker and Randy Moss based on past accomplishments and not future returns.

That is another reason I was so disappointed with Lombardi's decisions last summer, his decision to show loyalty to declining veteran players and not turning the reigns over to younger guys is going to hurt the Kings chances of having that type of long term success in a cap league. The Kings have way to many guys under contract who are being paid for past accomplishments and not future results, and that has to change if we want to raise more banners to the rafters.

Dean says he looks at his mistakes and makes a list. I'm sure the failure to use the compliance buy out on Richards is at the top of the list.

I completely agree with the last paragraph. I think order to be successful on a regular basis an NHL team is going to need to need at least 2-4 solid contributors on ELCs or bridge contracts.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
The Cap changed the league.

You can't afford to hand out long term, high Cap dollar contracts to UFA reaching the age of 29/30. It's a bad idea no matter how you slice it. Unless you are 100% sure said player is the next Nic Lidstrom in terms of production past the age of 30.

Your long term, High dollar contracts should be handled like Kopitar/Doughty were off their ELC. That way your best players are locked up through their prime production ages on good contracts.

Toffoli is next.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad