Justin Williams Appreciation Thread

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Gotta give props to Willy. IMHO, he has been the best King over the last handful of games. He's playing hard, getting dirty in the corners and really shooting the puck well. I'm not sure i've ever seen this good of a stretch from him since he's been here.

Captain Mittens*

dubstep_by_sixtyhrz%2Bcopy.jpg

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
It goes beyond the drive in his game and how hard he's been playing, it's what he offerse in the locker room, esp for the young playaers, that is invaluable. It was JW who prior to game 6 on the finals, closed the door and stood up, giving a very emotional speech. That fired that team up and they came out and played like it. It's the thoughtful and honest replies he gives to the reporters post game and the fact that he takes accontabilty, which is the sign of a leader.
He's a very valuable part of this run to defend the title and for the rookies, esp, to absorb that leadership.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Most underrated player on our team by the outside. Opposing teams and fans don't notice him until it's too late.

Playing some of the best hockey of his career right now imo, and not just in terms of goals, but also in terms of puck protection and retrieval. Plus, when he's on, he has that smug ***** smile that annoys opponents (see: D Backes).

I cringed when he went into the boards last night. Knock on wood for the guy. That's all I'll say about that.

He is prone to making some poor decisions on occasion and isn't the fastest skater but the guy always hustles his ass off and that is one thing I love about this Kings team. They are big and strong and they play like it. Williams plays borderline reckless at times which shows how much he wants to win. Puts the team in front of his own health.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I cringed when he went into the boards last night. Knock on wood for the guy. That's all I'll say about that.

He is prone to making some poor decisions on occasion and isn't the fastest skater but the guy always hustles his ass off and that is one thing I love about this Kings team. They are big and strong and they play like it. Williams plays borderline reckless at times which shows how much he wants to win. Puts the team in front of his own health.

Agreed. Williams isn't the fastest guy, but he's able to escape and create space through change of direction, which he does very well. He's also great on the cycle for being a smaller guy on the team.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I remember when many posters on these boards (and another popular Kings board) lost their minds that the Kings gave up Patrick O'Sullivan AND the glorious 2nd round pick that always turns into gold.

Williams had a reputation for being made out of glass because of the time he spent on IR when he was first acquired, but man has he been one of the more consistent performers this season. Agreed with Buddy that sometimes the guy just makes some head scratching decisions here and there, but you can't deny that he's always hustling and moving his legs, which can't be said about a lot of different players that we saw the Kings try on the top line before his arrival.

He's been the perfect complimentary player to Kopitar and I consider his acquisition to be one of Dean Lombardi's best moves with the Kings. He absolutely pillaged the Hurricanes with that trade (and the Oilers as well since they were in on the deal and received LA's 2nd round pick).

Pucknut50

Jun 13, 2007
Williams is very shifty along the boards its like trying to catch an eel with your bare hands. He is very good passing in tight quarters as well as anticipating the play. He does tend to play with the puck to much but overall you can deal with it as nobody is perfect.

Captain Mittens*

I remember when many posters on these boards (and another popular Kings board) lost their minds that the Kings gave up Patrick O'Sullivan AND the glorious 2nd round pick that always turns into gold.
One thing I have learned about message boards is most people are talking out of their ass.

There is no question that Lombardi sold high on POS at the exact right time.

Williams bring so much more to the team that what we see on the ice. He's a pro's pro.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005

Williams had a reputation for being made out of glass because of the time he spent on IR when he was first acquired, but man has he been one of the more consistent performers this season. Agreed with Buddy that sometimes the guy just makes some head scratching decisions here and there, but you can't deny that he's always hustling and moving his legs, which can't be said about a lot of different players that we saw the Kings try on the top line before his arrival.

He's been the perfect complimentary player to Kopitar and I consider his acquisition to be one of Dean Lombardi's best moves with the Kings. He absolutely pillaged the Hurricanes with that trade (and the Oilers as well since they were in on the deal and received LA's 2nd round pick).[/QUOTE]

Not really, the Oliers are the ones who got hosed.
Los Angeles Kings traded Patrick O'Sullivan and a 2nd round selection in 2009 to the Carolina Hurricanes for Justin Williams. Then Carolina traded Patrick O'Sullivan and a 2nd round selection in 2009 to the Edmonton Oilers for Erik Cole and a 5th round selection in 2009.

123slam

Dec 28, 2006
I've loved him ever since he came back from an injury (dislocated shoulder I believe) in the playoffs against the Sharks and scored 3 goals in the series while wearing a sling to support his shoulder. He has grown to be one of my favorites, and for his size, he is damn awesome along the boards.

Captain Mittens*

I've loved him ever since he came back from an injury (dislocated shoulder I believe) in the playoffs against the Sharks and scored 3 goals in the series while wearing a sling to support his shoulder. He has grown to be one of my favorites, and for his size, he is damn awesome along the boards.

Was this the same shoulder that Regher injured? Same incident?

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
He will make one bad pass in a critical area, and be right back into your guys dog house.

Just wait. :)

Ron*

I didn't see the puck go in on the second shot, that's how hard he stroked it.

The guy is on fire.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I don't think we win the Cup without him...if he was instead a flashier forward like Nash or Gaborik, we don't win it all. Williams does it all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad