Justin Sefton

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Sure seems to have fallen off in the last couple years after originally being deemed as a likely top 10 pick. His name was then not even seen in first round rankings and unranked in the CSS midterm rankings. Starting to come around a bit though in the second half of the season and hopefully its not a fluke and he's starting to realize his potential.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I see him as being a late round pick, a team that can take a gamble on him hoping that he just is a late bloomer. Its amazing that not even 2 years ago, people in the Sault were thinking he should be picked over Catenacci. He has some talent, but seems like his confidence was lacking, and he maybe did not fit into Sudbury's system when I watched them play.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Hopefully he is a late bloomer otherwise he might end up like Dan Maggio, another highly touted player coming out of minor midget ruined by the Sudbury system. With Sefton I question his intelligence and decision making yet a player with similar character flaws in Duncan Siemens is still ranked in the top 10, makes you wonder. Perhaps he would be better off with a change of scenery and a more renowned head coach to straighten out his issues.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
Hopefully he is a late bloomer otherwise he might end up like Dan Maggio, another highly touted player coming out of minor midget ruined by the Sudbury system. With Sefton I question his intelligence and decision making yet a player with similar character flaws in Duncan Siemens is still ranked in the top 10, makes you wonder. Perhaps he would be better off with a change of scenery and a more renowned head coach to straighten out his issues.

Sudbury had him playing forward for games earlier in the year, which made zero sense to me for a rebuilding team, especially when rookie defenceman where dressing behind him. Its unfortunate that Sudbury has been so poor with developing so many top picks.

I think hes finally putting it together however, and I can definetly see a team taking a shot at him with a later round draft pick.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Back a couple of years, Sefton was one of the players I hoped Kingston would look at taking with the 2nd overall pick. The scouting report going into the draft indicated a mobile, hard hitting, mean SOB who could also chip in some offensively. The Frontenacs ended up taking Alan Quine instead.

Since then, I've followed Sefton's progress mainly through reading fan accounts of his play in Sudbury game day threads, as well as keeping up with his stats on the OHL site. It seems he's struggling to become the player he was projected to be when drafted. But I've yet to hear a concise or definitive answer for why that is.

Any Sudbury fans care to shed some light on why Sefton's fallen short of expectations?

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
i've been wondering exactly this.
what happened to him?

i was looking back in some old THNs and they had a "2011 Draft Preview" at the back of their Nov 2, 2009 Draft Preview 09 issue.
They had room to highlight the five top 2011 prospects and Justin Shefton was listed at number 4

4. Justin Shefton, D,
6-2, 195, Notre Dame
(Sask.)
Edgy blueliner
likes to dole out big
hits, but can also ring
up the points.

i know he went to Sudbury and his stats werent exactly the best, but has he seriously gotten so bad i have literally NOT heard his name once since, while talking about this draft?

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
I've seen him play quite a bit here in Sudbury. I'm a fan of the style of game he plays but his offensive upside is limited and he probably won't be more than a #5. That being said I think he will be an NHL regular one day. Reminds me a ton of Colten Teubert.

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
I think Sefton finally figured it out mid way through this year. From what I saw he is becoming the player that the scouting reports indicated. He finally figured out he could be that mean physcial player and play the game at the same time. Be careful when he gets that right hand cocked because it does some damage.

I think he could become a #4 D-man in the NHL one day.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
I think Sefton finally figured it out mid way through this year. From what I saw he is becoming the player that the scouting reports indicated. He finally figured out he could be that mean physcial player and play the game at the same time. Be careful when he gets that right hand cocked because it does some damage.

I think he could become a #4 D-man in the NHL one day.

This is pretty accurate, sometime around the mid point of this season he found a good balance of playing safe, not taking risks and still being nasty. He's one of the nastier players in the draft and he just abuses people in front of the net. I think a team who likes him could take him as high as the 4th round.

Bob Barker

Jun 2, 2008
I remember the Rangers were allegedly debating between taking Murphy or Sefton with their 3rd overall pick. Thank goodness they took Murphy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad