Player Discussion Justin Schultz

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Uh, call me crazy but it sure looks like we got the 2017 version. It's early but dude has been great so far.

A lot of us did not like this signing but I'm thinking maybe this is yet another case where BMGM made a shrewd move. $4M seems just fine for how he's playing, if not an underpayment. Hopefully he can keep it up.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Pro scouting scores another win. Schultz has lost significant games for 3 straight seasons. The injuries IIRC are skating injuries which effected the quality of his play. I dont think Pens fans would have been happy to let him go if they knew he was going to skate like his is now.

Sam said at the start of camp that she and TEB were talking about how Schultz was such a better skater than most of the rest of the players. I thought that if that was true that Schultz was going to work out.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Has a real good knack for getting shots through, and a quick release
Looks like the questions of his health are answered b/c he's skating great
Love that we've got several D now that can shoot the puck now and help the O (add Lavi's pinching schemes to that too)
Hasn't been bad at all on D, hope it stays that way

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
you and me both

I feel like when he was signed, a handful of posters took a wait and see approach, but most people simply hated it flat out. I also think absolutely no one thought the dollars were reasonable.

Seems like pretty much all of us were wrong about some part of it...

Which is great for the Caps.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
He's been good by every reasonable metric but it's been 7 games so I'm still going to wait before I pass judgment on him.

Sure was nice to see him snipe that goal the other night though.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I understand being skeptical, but I don't understand the hate before he even had a chance to play.

The hate was because everyone thought we should have paid him a lot less, thought GMBM had lost his mind.

Maybe because a lot of people look at contracts as rewards for past play, instead of predictions of future play.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I thought he might have some gas left in the tank but I’m pleasantly surprised. He looks like the guy who sniped Holtby a bunch of times in the 2017 playoffs.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Yeah, still pretty early but the early signs are very promising. It took him a few games to start becoming more aggressive and assertive offensively and hopefully that continues in a measured sense. I'm not sure how productive he'll be but the crafty outlets and skating are pretty helpful. That said, he's a lot more like Shattenkirk than Niskanen. He's not going to be a PKer or shutdown type. But he's faster than Shattenkirk and should be a better fit for what they're doing.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Didn't have enough first hand knowledge of Schultz to really evaluate in my own mind. Based on reviews coming out of Fittsburgh, was more than mildly worried about that player for that cap hit. Think I said to the effect of "I hope they know what they're doing". And I guess they do.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
So how we feeling about Schultz? Havent noticed him much the last couple of games honestly unless its on the PP but hes had a good start 13 games in. Small sample size but hes been a plus player imo.

Look forward to him doing some damage tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad