Justin Schultz must regret playing for the worst team instead of the best in the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Are you judging an offensive defenseman by his defense? I'm done here, I can't believe I'm defending Justin freaking Schultz. You're right Ducks fans, he wouldn't make your AHL team :shakehead

He'd be a liability.

A defenseman is still supposed to be passable defensively. Even the offensive minded ones. He's not passable. If Schultz wants to be a forward then I'll appreciate his skill. Beauchemin isn't inept offensively but we need him to be a shutdown defender. If you want your team to ice 4 forwards at a time that's your thing. But as a defenseman, Beauchemin is better. There's no contest. He and Lindholm are the guys the Ducks send out against the Crosby's, and Stamkos', and Ovechkin's of the league. Schultz gets turned to mincemeat by third liners.

And I never said something that ridiculous. He would make our AHL team. But he'd be on our bottom pairing trading starts with Stoner as he's not going to be benching Vatanen who's been better offensively AND defensively.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Are you judging an offensive defenseman by his defense? I'm done here, I can't believe I'm defending Justin freaking Schultz. You're right Ducks fans, he wouldn't make your AHL team :shakehead

Defensemen judged by defense? Who woulda thought?

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

An offensive defenseman still needs to be able to play defense, dude.

And I can't believe you're defending Justin Schultz either, especially by comparing him to Beauchemin.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
The kid can't play defense, virtually at all. He's completely clueless. One of the least physical, non-intense and stoic looking athletes I've ever seen play for Edmonton. He makes Tom Gilbert and Jeff Petry look like beasts. He's absolutely awful and at this point the team would be better off without him.

Getzlaf The Great5*

He'd be a liability.

A defenseman is still supposed to be passable defensively. Even the offensive minded ones. He's not passable. If Schultz wants to be a forward then I'll appreciate his skill. Beauchemin isn't inept offensively but we need him to be a shutdown defender. If you want your team to ice 4 forwards at a time that's your thing. But as a defenseman, Beauchemin is better. There's no contest. He and Lindholm are the guys the Ducks send out against the Crosby's, and Stamkos', and Ovechkin's of the league. Schultz gets turned to mincemeat by third liners.

And I never said something that ridiculous. He would make our AHL team. But he'd be on our bottom pairing trading starts with Stoner as he's not going to be benching Vatanen who's been better offensively AND defensively.

Exactly. There is a reason these players are called defenseman, because they are required to play D!

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Wasn't Krug considered a distant 2nd that year with college ufas ?yet choose to sign with a powerhouse boston team that had a great defensive core and would be near impossible to make but wanted to be part of a winning culture. Partly goes to show the difference in drive and attitude in some players and also how different organizations develop their players.

Reminds me of how wheeler never had a fraction of the hype of brunstrom as an entry level free agent.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Before you feel too sorry for him, understand the kid is never going to have to work a day in his life (neither will his kids provided he isn't an idiot with his money), can travel the world, will likely land a smoking hot wifey aside from the random puck bunnies he gets all the time, will get to live in a giant mansion with a nice vacation cabin on a lake, travel the world, etc. etc. etc.

The Oilers situation is bad now, but 2-3 years things can change too (maybe not, but no one has a crystal ball either).

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
If he didn't want to stay in Anaheim, he should have come to Van. He's exactly what the Canucks need on the back-end and would have been brought up in a core of veterans, playing in his home province.

Now, he's been exposed in a terrible system with terrible goaltending. If he had been sheltered and brought up in a better environment, who knows how well he'd be doing right now.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Before you feel too sorry for him, understand the kid is never going to have to work a day in his life (neither will his kids provided he isn't an idiot with his money), can travel the world, will likely land a smoking hot wifey aside from the random puck bunnies he gets all the time, will get to live in a giant mansion with a nice vacation cabin on a lake, travel the world, etc. etc. etc.

The Oilers situation is bad now, but 2-3 years things can change too (maybe not, but no one has a crystal ball either).

Money isn't everything.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Don't care for him. Funny seeing him get booed everytime he touches the puck on TV though.

Even funnier when we had Nick Schultz on the team and he'd get booed every time he touched the puck at Honda Center. If only we could have acquired Jeff too.

As to the OP, I highly doubt he regrets his choice for a second. Over 5 mil in career earnings already, making 3.675 this year, and has to be qualified at the same amount. Had he stayed in Anaheim he'd likely have under a million career earnings at this point (185,000 for the 2 ELC years combined signing bonus, about the same amount for his AHL wage, maybe sprinkle in an extra 200,000 he'd make while called up). Zero chance at hitting the ELC bonuses, and his contract for this year might have been 1 mil if he were lucky. Better tax rate in Edmonton as well. He knew what he was doing when he made his decision, doubt there's even the slightest regret.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Wasn't Krug considered a distant 2nd that year with college ufas ?yet choose to sign with a powerhouse boston team that had a great defensive core and would be near impossible to make but wanted to be part of a winning culture. Partly goes to show the difference in drive and attitude in some players and also how different organizations develop their players.

Reminds me of how wheeler never had a fraction of the hype of brunstrom as an entry level free agent.

I think it says something about Schultz that he chose Edmonton, a team where he wouldn't really have to fight for a spot. In Anaheim, he would have had to earn his spot, and beat out other players to get ice time on a good team, and even if he does that it's likely he starts on the bottom pairing. In Edmonton, he was pretty much guaranteed an opportunity in the top 4.

He took the soft approach, and I can't help but think he wasn't up to the challenge.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
Kid took a shortcut to nhl. It was a gamble and basically fell apart. Would have been sent to ahl for a few years and brought in nhl slowly like bonino and vatanen.

Anaheim knows how to develop players, establish great work ethic no attitude, and compete for ice time.

Sorry this is karma. Kid snubbed a team that preached slow and steady. Probably follows mdz and doesnt get qualified but still finds a job with someone desperate for offensive dman.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
NegativePotableAntarcticgiantpetrel.gif

At least MacT didn't give him a 6x6 deal. One of the best moves he has made along with Perron trade.

That would have been classic. Literally the best.

Stoner is awful

Overpaid, not awful.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I don't get ragging on him because he went to a place where he would have an immediate shot at the NHL. Isn't that every player's goal? Sustr did the same thing, why aren't we judging him?

I understand the criticism for no heart/cashing checks/etc. but I don't get criticizing where he chose to play.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Yes, but he's worth about half of his contract. He loves to shoot into opposing forwards shin pads

Since when is a defenseman's value determined more highly by OFFENSIVE traits? I feel like it's the twilight zone in this thread.

He's solid for us in the defensive zone for a bottom pairing guy and that's all that matters.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
I don't get ragging on him because he went to a place where he would have an immediate shot at the NHL. Isn't that every player's goal? Sustr did the same thing, why aren't we judging him?

I understand the criticism for no heart/cashing checks/etc. but I don't get criticizing where he chose to play.

Anaheim basically lost a 2nd pick in '08 draft for nothing. Sustr is an undrafted player. I don't understand how you can link these guys together. Schultz absolutely screwed the Ducks from getting anything for him too. He didn't even ask for a trade, just stopped answering phone calls and NHL went into a frenzy over a 3rd pairing d-man.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
more like Edmonton regrets signing him, i honestly wanna see how much hes gonna ask for this offseason.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

So having money and a mansion and vacation cabin means he's going to be a satisfied and happy human being?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->