Justin Pogge - named best CHL prospect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Calgary Hitmen goaltender tops Prospects Hockey's Top 35 poll

Justin Pogge has been named the top player in the Canadian Hockey League by a 19-member panel commissioned by Prospects Hockey magazine.

The 19-year-old from Penticton, B.C., is enjoying a stellar season, highlighted by his 5-0 shutout win over Russia in the gold medal game at the 2006 World Junior Hockey Championship in Vancouver. Pogge currently leads the WHL in GAA, shutouts and save percentage, and is second in wins. He was a third-round (90th overall) selection of the Toronto Maple Leafs in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft.

"In a tournament full of pleasant Canadian surprises, Justin Pogge was probably the biggest one in Vancouver," said Prospects Hockey managing editor, Peter Robinson. "But, if anything, Pogge's play for Calgary in the WHL has probably been even better. Right now he is clearly the most dominant player in the Canadian Hockey League."

Defenceman Marc Staal of the Sudbury Wolves was voted No. 2, with fellow Team Canada rearguard Luc Bourdon of the Moncton Wildcats at No. 3. Owen Sound Attack forward Bobby Ryan and Medicine Hat Tigers defenceman Cam Barker, also a Team Canada member, rounded out the top 5 at Nos. 4 and 5, respectively.

Full Story : http://www.chl.ca/CHLNews0506/0301a.html

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
That's OK with me; If we were talking NHL potential I might say something different. But this could very well be true - the Hitmen have been fantastic this year without a whole lot of offense on the squad.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Keep in mind this is best Junior player now not best "prospect", this doesnt concern potential. As a leafs fan its great to see though.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Good news for Leafs fans to hear this type of thing about a prospect.

To be honest though, if given the option, I'd easily take Staal, or Bourdon over him, however, if Pogge brings this type of play the the NHL, then it's going to be good times for all Leafs fans.

Pogge earned his ranking this season. Whether he's actually the best, is a very disputable queston.

mooseOAK*

Dion Phaneuf won the previous two times, he didn't turn out too poorly.

Transported Upstater

vanwychen27 said:
Keep in mind this is best Junior player now not best "prospect", this doesnt concern potential. As a leafs fan its great to see though.

+1

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
It's too bad we didn't see this Pogge two years ago when the Hitmen had Getzlaff, Ladd, and Pushkarev. That team was really good except for in net.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Good for Poggemon. :handclap:

I was thinking of opening this thread but i thought people will flame because of so many Pogge threads. :p:

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Legionnaire said:
It's too bad we didn't see this Pogge two years ago when the Hitmen had Getzlaff, Ladd, and Pushkarev. That team was really good except for in net.
Well, he just went there at the trading deadline last season. The Hitmen ran into a hot Wheat King team, Ladd was playing hurt and Pushkarov disappeared in the series, the Wheaties were on a huge roll. It wasn't Pogge that lost them that series.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
sbtatter said:
Well, he just went there at the trading deadline last season. The Hitmen ran into a hot Wheat King team, Ladd was playing hurt and Pushkarov disappeared in the series, the Wheaties were on a huge roll. It wasn't Pogge that lost them that series.

No he didn't, and I didn't mean to try and claim that. However, if he was playing then like he is now, I think they would have been able to hold on to that lead.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Legionnaire said:
No he didn't, and I didn't mean to try and claim that. However, if he was playing then like he is now, I think they would have been able to hold on to that lead.
Too much firepower on that Bdn team, when the Hitmen were playing such a poor defensive game, imo......We were surprised at how well he played in that series tbh

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Legionnaire said:

We didn't have Pushkarev two years ago either.

We did have all four last season though. The Hitmen should have beaten Brandon, but that wasn't Pogge's fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad