Cut/Released: Justin Houston (signs with IND)

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Think we get about 15M in cap space out of this. Tells me that we’re gonna make a big move in FA.

Houston is still a good player, but his cap hit was insane. Plus, I think there’s a chance he could fall off the proverbial cliff this season.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Okay so it looks like he hasn’t been released yet, looks like Matt was wrong/or intentionally fed that info.

Bunch of guys chiming in to say the release hasn’t happened, we’re still trying to trade him although the possibility of a cutting remains.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Sucks to see him go, but it needed to be done. Still good at getting to the QB but probably shouldn't be an every down player anymore.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
I love it.

Colts had sub-average pass rush ratings last season. The Sheard-Hunt-Autry-Lewis was insanely effective against the run (not 1 RB had 100 yards against Indy last seaon, including a Henry on fire, Elliott and Barkley), but there's a lack in talent and depth at the 9-technique position against Left Tackles.

Now with Turay training hard with Robert Mathis, plus Houston who still had 9 sacks in 12 games, hopefully it's covered.

My 1 last wish, re-draft, would be to find another strong safety of Gaethers' level. Tre Boston would be a fantastic addition. Gaether's health issues can't be brushed aside until proven otherwise.

Indy's set after this. There's no more glaring needs and they'll be able to go all-in with the BPA available at the draft. Wilkins or Metcalf at 26, Taylor Rapp/Jonathan Abram at 34 and Kevin Harmon/ N'Keal Harry at 59 is my dream scenario.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Ballard is doing a great job. Stayed out of the dumb stuff at the start of free agency and now will use some of his cap space on these type of short-term deals while also continuing to build from within.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Ballard is doing a great job. Stayed out of the dumb stuff at the start of free agency and now will use some of his cap space on these type of short-term deals while also continuing to build from within.
A 4-5 year deal in the nfl can pretty much be a 2 year depending on the structure of the contract. If you don’t have signing bonuses to prorate over the term of the deal but instead guarantee the base salary for years 1-2 it’s essentially a 2 year deal with the team have the option to keep the player around for year3 if they fee he’s worth this cap number.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
ast wish, re-draft, would be to find another strong safety of Gaethers' level. Tre Boston would be a fantastic addition. Gaether's health issues can't be brushed aside until proven otherwise.

Indy's set after this. There's no more glaring needs and they'll be able to go all-in with the BPA available at the draft. Wilkins or Metcalf at 26, Taylor Rapp/Jonathan Abram at 34 and Kevin Harmon/ N'Keal Harry at 59 is my dream scenario.

Even with a healthy Geathers, SS is a big need for Colts imo. I don't think of Geathers as a SS, he has a game of a OLB. He is a reliable tackler and is physical but his coverage skills are far from great.

Leonart is the only box defender that can cover on Colts roster and even he blitzes at times. If you look at Colts pass D stats, coverage on short-to-mid passes was terrible. Improved pass rush should improve that a bit, but getting another guy who can cover would help significantly.

As far as needs, I agree that there is nothing that is truly glaring, but still Colts could certainly use several upgrades.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
1)Even with a healthy Geathers, SS is a big need for Colts imo. I don't think of Geathers as a SS, he has a game of a OLB. He is a reliable tackler and is physical but his coverage skills are far from great.

2)Leonart is the only box defender that can cover on Colts roster and even he blitzes at times. If you look at Colts pass D stats, coverage on short-to-mid passes was terrible. Improved pass rush should improve that a bit, but getting another guy who can cover would help significantly.

3) As far as needs, I agree that there is nothing that is truly glaring, but still Colts could certainly use several upgrades.

1) You basically repeated what I said in your own words :laugh:

I talked about drafting a strong safety and signing Tre Boston.

2) the Tampa 2 defense leaves holes at the 2nd level, and they usually play with 3 CBs instead of a SAM linebacker on top of it. I would love a linebacker capable of covering TEs on a regular base.

3) I never said there wasn't room for improvement, far from it. GLARING needs? There's worse in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad