TSN: Justin Holl's role will be huge these playoffs

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Ahead of playoff debut, Justin Holl draws confidence from Connor McDavid game - TSN.ca
Our big D sucka is gittin better. Hitting thangs and moving thangs. Blocking and sacrifizing his body like a motha. Mayne that guy is big and his role per tsn will be trump huge. :clap: I love a sucka with that sacrifizing game and being a treal, I mean real team mate is getting his chances and being in the first shut down pair with Jake Muzzin. They finna play some bigg tyme minutes against columbus fools. Tortorella will do everythang he possess to destroy us to the ground. I'm sure we'll see the best playoff series in a long time against the jackets (tortorella's). We gon be ready, so is Justin Holl. Our biggest sucka on D.

Reactions: kb and al secord

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
Yeah, absolutely, Justin Holl will be key for us in the playoffs. The biggest reason is that he is the best option for Jake Muzzin's partner, and that will be the primary matchup pairing to go against the big guns of any teams we might face. Obviously Muzzin does the lion's share for that pairing, but Holl's main strength (skating, puck moving, transition) covers for Muzzin's only 'weakness' and is what gives them such great synergy as a partnership in all three zones.

Looking specifically at the Columbus series, a huge factor is going to be how Toronto's d-men are able to handle the F1 on the forecheck, who will absolutely be hounding them. A good skating, confident puck-handling defenseman like Holl who can track back, and make a good first pass or evasive move on the F1 is going to be crucial to keeping the puck moving in the right direction all series long. Not all our d-men are as capable in that area, specifically Ceci, who will likely just bomb it off the glass and play right into Columbus' 1-2-2 NZ set-up.

If we get past Columbus, and end up taking on Boston, Tampa, Washington, or Philadelphia, that is where the shutdown aspect against top lines will become even more pronounced. I respect the skill of guys like Atkinson, Dubois, & Bjorkstrand, but the primary concern isn't shutting them down, as much as it is breaking down the team's defensive structure, and getting Tavares, Matthews, Marner, and Nylander going north.

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
Ahead of playoff debut, Justin Holl draws confidence from Connor McDavid game - TSN.ca
Our big D sucka is gittin better. Hitting thangs and moving thangs. Blocking and sacrifizing his body like a motha. Mayne that guy is big and his role per tsn will be trump huge. :clap: I love a sucka with that sacrifizing game and being a treal, I mean real team mate is getting his chances and being in the first shut down pair with Jake Muzzin. They finna play some bigg tyme minutes against columbus fools. Tortorella will do everythang he possess to destroy us to the ground. I'm sure we'll see the best playoff series in a long time against the jackets (tortorella's). We gon be ready, so is Justin Holl. Our biggest sucka on D.

I respect your consistency.

Reactions: BrannigansLaw

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
There's zero doubt Holl will be extremely important. How well he handles being that main shutdown guy with Muzzin will decide a lot for this team. Of course he's shown himself both the best (and honestly only) option for that responsibility.

If nothing else it should be interesting to see how this goes. Still a bit unfortunate that the best we can do to support Rielly is throw Ceci next to him, but such is. At least we do have one reliable defensive pairing and the rest can just try to be ok in their end while mostly just supporting the offense.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The regular season was a great step forward. Can only hope that carries over to the playoffs as well.

Reactions: kb

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Not one defenseman the Leafs are using in the playoffs experienced a save percentage at 5-on-5 better then Jake Gardiner's career average.
Our best, Cody Ceci, would be 7th on Columbus. Muzzin has been the worst, but this isn't factoring in the quality of competition either.
Muzz and Holl will need to shut the door.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad