Justin Bourne - The Leafs don't understand what Defense is

silentbob37*

From Justin Bourne's blog on the 7th

From Friedman’s intro, regarding the Leafs: You can blame management, the coach or the players. (Or all three.) Whoever you choose, the fact is this is a team that has lacked a defensive identity for years. The coach quoted above says, for that reason, he understands why the Maple Leafs chased David Clarkson, Roman Polak, Stephane Robidas and Daniel Winnik, although it remains to be seen how much of that ends up working.

The Leafs chasing names like the four above demonstrates that they still don’t fully understand what constitutes defense these days – which is to say that getting out of your own zone and into the offensive zone is a better “defensive†play than blocking shots and laying the body.

The Detroit Red Wings are a great example. They’re third in shots allowed per game in the NHL, giving up only 27.1 per night (they’re sixth in goals against per game, allowing 2.35 per contest). And have you seen their roster? Right now their bottom four D-men are Kyle Quincey, Danny DeKeyser, Brendan Smith and Xavier Ouellet – not exactly Craig Ludwig and Derian Hatcher. They’re giving bigger roles to guys like Tomas Tatar, Tomas Jurco and Gustav Nyquist – hardly a group of Mike Pecas.

When I asked Mike Babcock about the Wings relieving pressure on breakouts by using the front of the net, he said “I’m a big believer in getting back and executing fast so you don’t have to play in D-zone coverage at all. You often turn pucks over by keeping it along the wall you end up in the D-zone, and we’d like to be in the offensive zone by making that good first pass.†(Emphasis mine.)

He’s all about playing fast and playing in the right zone, which is a good chunk of the reason Detroit’s “defensive†numbers are so good. Stockpiling players with big shot-blocking totals means you’re stockpiling players who play in their D-zone too much.

Grit is a nice value-add; on its own, it’s not worth much.

http://www.thescore.com/news/658646

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The idea that Big & Physical = Defense is so wrong, but still insanely prevelant in the hockey world.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
The idea that Big & Physical = Defense is so wrong, but still insanely prevelant in the hockey world.

On the other hand if you have a speedy but non-physical defense core, you're in trouble if you face speedy forwards who can get you down along the wall.

So if we're being realistic we want some measure of both in defensemen ideally.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto

They're not synonymous but being big and physical helps. Being tall helps with reach, being physical helps with clearing the net and winning puck battles along the boards. I think being big and physical is helpful for disrupting a cycle as well. That being said, you want a guy who is also mobile, good with the puck, and smart. That's part of what separates Weber from Phaneuf

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Being big, physical, and dumb, doesn't work in the NHL anymore! Banning obstruction and head shots has seen to this!

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
They're not synonymous but being big and physical helps. Being tall helps with reach, being physical helps with clearing the net and winning puck battles along the boards. I think being big and physical is helpful for disrupting a cycle as well. That being said, you want a guy who is also mobile, good with the puck, and smart. That's part of what separates Weber from Phaneuf

An article in TSN suggested Weber is overrated. At least that is what I got from it.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
That's a refreshing take on the topic and I'm inclined to agree.

Seems like the Leafs have been stuck trying to find big bodied, shut down guy for ages when the game is no longer even played that way. I wonder how much of the blame should go to Cliff Fletcher, whose Leafs teams took a nosedive in the 90s when he moved out Bob Rouse and Sylvain Lefebvre in one offseason, changing the defensive strength of those Pat Burns teams.

Since he's come back, Fletcher has invested foolishly in Luke Schenn as his core building piece when he was GM briefly. Schenn is basically an underskilled dinosaur who would have done well in 90s Dallas alongside Derian Hatcher. He's been part of the braintrust during the Burke and Nonis era, which signed Komisarek, Finger, traded for Exelby, O'Byrne, Gleason, Fraser, etc.

The point isn't to block shots, and guard the net. The point has been to get the puck back.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007

The plethora of under 6" D being drafted and desireable are numerous. Why aren't there any more Greg Hawgood's in the NHL?

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Speed is so important in today's NHL. Hopefully the NHL continues with the enforcement of obstruction hooking and holding. Love the high speed skilled game.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Speed is so important in today's NHL. Hopefully the NHL continues with the enforcement of obstruction hooking and holding. Love the high speed skilled game.

Lebda was an excellent skater and compared to some of the best in the game with his skating abilities and offensive upside.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
But in order to play the game in the fashion Babcock and historically Detroit have, your players typically have the right hockey IQ, constitution and requisite skill.

Detroit may have outliers like Ericsson, but Nyquist and Larkin and Jurco, etc...They're tenacious, prudent and team-minded in a way our players either can't be or haven't had the right environment to be.

Our "culture" is a long way off before this organization resembles Detroit's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad