Justin Azevedo?

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Is he worth being drafted? I think his draft was last year? Just wondering.
I guess it depends on what a team might know about him personally, or if they don't have too many other comparables in the system (i.e. I think there is an upper limit on the number of really small wildcard type prospects any team would want to have on the go at one time)... I find in the OHL that he's usually quite noticeable in game action, he seems to be quick and feisty and can stand out head-to-head against NHL-drafted players. At the WU-18 last year he was too undisciplined, but at the same time he was a match for any of the other NHL-drafted players in terms of talent and productivity.

I thought somebody would probably draft him last year. But since he wasn't picked, I rather expect he won't ever be, but rather will get camp invites and have to hope to sign on as a free agent somewhere. He really does look tiny on the ice, and when I see him listed at 5-9 or 160+ I sometimes wonder at those numbers. And sometimes the feistiness he has works against him, he really isn't able to match up physically most of the time. Still, I guess you'd rather see him trying than not, of course. I guess the temptation has always been to compare him to Derek Roy, but even as a teenager Roy had more of that fire-hydrant-build strength than Azevedo, so he was a lot more able to play with an edge effectively and survive some of the battles than Azevedo has thus far.

My $.02, fwiw.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
I guess it depends on what a team might know about him personally, or if they don't have too many other comparables in the system (i.e. I think there is an upper limit on the number of really small wildcard type prospects any team would want to have on the go at one time)... I find in the OHL that he's usually quite noticeable in game action, he seems to be quick and feisty and can stand out head-to-head against NHL-drafted players. At the WU-18 last year he was too undisciplined, but at the same time he was a match for any of the other NHL-drafted players in terms of talent and productivity.

I thought somebody would probably draft him last year. But since he wasn't picked, I rather expect he won't ever be, but rather will get camp invites and have to hope to sign on as a free agent somewhere. He really does look tiny on the ice, and when I see him listed at 5-9 or 160+ I sometimes wonder at those numbers. And sometimes the feistiness he has works against him, he really isn't able to match up physically most of the time. Still, I guess you'd rather see him trying than not, of course. I guess the temptation has always been to compare him to Derek Roy, but even as a teenager Roy had more of that fire-hydrant-build strength than Azevedo, so he was a lot more able to play with an edge effectively and survive some of the battles than Azevedo has thus far.

My $.02, fwiw.

he definatley doesnt look that big, plus as you said unlike a guy like roy he isnt just short he also has a very slight build, He should get a chance to play pro hockey as a undrafted UFA in the ECHL/AHL or Europe then you never know.

FTowwn

Jan 25, 2006
Canada
azevedo is from west lorne whihc is about 15 minutes from where i live. ive seen him play many many times, and i just dont think hes gonna make it to the NHL. he attended one team, cant remember who, rookie camp this year and was sent back without a contract. this year he is struggling a little and was not as dominant as last year. He is a solid junior player but i dont see him much more than that, ECHL yea, AHL pushing it, NHL loooongshot, EUROPE i doubt he takes that route

KrazyTea*

Now he leads the OHL in scoring with 43 G, and 81 A with 124 pts in 67 games. I believe he can be signed as a free agent, do you think anyone will pick him up at all?

Hotshot320

Aug 24, 2006
Brampton
he was invited to Atlanta's conditioning camp a couple years ago... I can't see why no one would put down a 7th round pick on this guy..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->