Just when the NHL seems to get it right - All-Star Game Cancelled . . . well, maybe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boltsfan2029

Jul 8, 2002
In deleted threads
Masao said:
Well then just don't watch it and let others do.

I hate baseball, does that mean that the sport should be eradicated from the planet?

Would you object if they canceled baseball's All-Star Game?

Sheesh, who said anything about eradicating hockey from the planet?

I'm all for this decision. I usually watch the skills competition & rarely watch the All-Star Game itself. Won't miss it a bit.

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
Boltsfan2029 said:
Would you object if they canceled baseball's All-Star Game?

Sheesh, who said anything about eradicating hockey from the planet?

I'm all for this decision. I usually watch the skills competition & rarely watch the All-Star Game itself. Won't miss it a bit.

Way to miss the point.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
Icey said:
The PA hates the all-star games. Look how many players come up with "injuries" when they find out they have made the team.

Some players may have incentive clauses in their contracts relating to being selected for the All-Star Game. If they do, those players will most certainly care about the game being cancelled.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Call me a Grinch, but they can cancel the All Star game every season as far as I'm concerned. :)

The players do care, I suspect, but especially the ones who don't play and get to enjoy a mini-vacation. However, I can't see that missing it for one season will be any serious issue for them.

Boltsfan2029

Jul 8, 2002
In deleted threads
Tekneek said:
Some players may have incentive clauses in their contracts relating to being selected for the All-Star Game. If they do, those players will most certainly care about the game being cancelled.

The PA and league can agree to still name players to the All-Star team, even if they don't hold the event. That way the players still get their money.

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
The All Star game does suck BUT 1) the skills challenge kicks ass and that showcase I really believe helps the league. 2) That whole weekend is a big money maker for the league. But if we had to chose one or the other, I would also take the olympics.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
nyrmessier011 said:
The All Star game does suck BUT 1) the skills challenge kicks ass and that showcase I really believe helps the league. 2) That whole weekend is a big money maker for the league. But if we had to chose one or the other, I would also take the olympics.
That is the best part of the All-Star weekend (that and the Young Stars/Guns game) --- but sadly those are not broadcast on network television.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Eklund said:
In all likelihood, due to TV conflicts it will be held on a weekday near the 6th...That way TSN can televise it as well.
I think I have waited months to say this....

Eklund....what the hell are you talking about? :D

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
I tend to think the Olympics will be along the lines of an All-Star Weekend Plus: The best players, playing for their countries with effort, and, god-forbid, defense.

As for the All-Star game itself, I'm not much of a fan, though I do see the value in the attention and press.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
No big deal to not have an all-star game once every four years. Sometimes not having things all the time makes them better.

Maken*

:clap:

All-Star game just ruins a nice early Feb. weekend anyways.

I'll take 13 games on centre ice on a saturday night over a lame ASG/Skills Comp. in the afternoon anyday.

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
This is great news.

It's absolutely criminal that the All-Star game is one of the most televised games of the season in the States.

It's a shame that for some people the All-Star game might be their introduction to NHL hockey. It's an embarrassment.

I'd much rather have the spotlight on the Olympics. It's a 100 times better showcase for the NHL than an All-Star game ever would be.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
Leaf Army said:
This is great news.

It's absolutely criminal that the All-Star game is one of the most televised games of the season in the States.

It's a shame that for some people the All-Star game might be their introduction to NHL hockey. It's an embarrassment.

I'd much rather have the spotlight on the Olympics. It's a 100 times better showcase for the NHL than an All-Star game ever would be.

I dread the all-star break. Things are gaining momentum, the playoffs are in sight, and then, wooosh, down-time.

The best PR stuff are the outdoor games - why not try it in NY, Detroit, etc, if they can find a suitable venue? The outdoor games created far more buzz than the all-star fake - err, break does.

IMHO, of course.

EDIT: You can have a skills competition around the game, making the outdoor game the only one that weekend, freeing up the players to work the crowd, do the skills competition, etc etc.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
:dunno:

I thought that the league wanted to showcase its best players . . . and do so with increased scoring. Make fun of the game if you wish to but you all are not the ones that the game would be aimed at. It is a showcase and does generate more news for those couple of days than the odd game or two out of an 80 game schedule (83 games with pre season, god knows how many if you include post season). I still believe that it is missing an opportunity for a bit of positive publicity for a league that will be needing it especially next year.

Ronald Pagan

Feb 8, 2005
mytor4 said:
get rid of the allstar game alltogether. it's not worth my time to watch such a useless game. talk about playing shinny. i don't personnaly know any hockey fan that would rather watch an allstar game over a regular season nhl,
ahl,junior, bantom or peewee game. allstar games just suck period.

:clap:

We Agree.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
The Olympics *is* an All Star Game, only extended out to two weeks and multiple games, and with concepts completely foreign to All Star games... Hitting, intensity, and defense.

There is *zero* reason to have an All Star game in an Olympic year.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
I'm not a fan of the All Star game at all. No big loss there.

The skills competition is usually entertaining though.

I'd love for the ASG to get replaced with the Olympics, World Cup, Rendez Vous, whatever. A 4 year cycle would be great, imo.

Year 1: World vs North American All Stars
Year 2: World vs Team USA vs Team Canada (3 games - USA vs Canada, USA vs World and Canada vs World will sell a hell of alot more than "East vs West")
Year 3: World Cup (USA, Canada, Russia, Sweden, Finland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, World All Stars (grouping Germany, Swiss, Latvia and all the other countries)
Year 4: Olympics

In terms of Hockey tradition, the ASG is imminently disposable, imo. This isn't the original 6 where you can have the Cup Champion vs League All Stars anymore and have everyone represented. Especially with 30 teams (maybe more in the future) the ASG format doesn't really do much anymore, with teams maybe sending 1 player who may not even play a whole lot. I mean they try to pad things with 23 man game rosters and young guns games, but come on...

MattintheHatt

May 31, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Bruwinz37 said:
Please don't tell me you are a real hockey fan and you give a rat's ass about the all star game?

Honestly, who cares?

This is part of the problem! THe allstar game is one of the greatest oppertunities for the NHL to market itself and it's players, their personalities, skills, and NO ONE CARES, NOT EVEN US DIEHARD FANS.

Well, I do. It may not be that entertaining hockey, but its a chance to see and honor the NHL's best over a few days, see the best upcoming young players, and for the players to show who they are...that is, if the NHL ran it correctly. The Allstar game could be great for marketing players, it interviews, microphones on players (other than JR) and a little participation by the players in all this.

I guess the NHL will have to wait for next year for this oppertunity.

That said.
Oylmpics >> Allstar Game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->