Just saying hello!

Seismic Wave

Apr 21, 2013
Hi folks,

My name is Richard and i'm from Falkirk, Scotland. I've always liked the NHL but have really taken an interest since I visited the States last April and went to MSG (Boooooo!)

The Bolts are my team to due to Vinny being on fire when I first started watching in 06/07. Hence why he's also my favourite player.

Incredible move last night for MSL's goal :handclap:

Pretty difficult staying up to ridiculous o'clock in the UK for the games but I try! I've got GameCenter, I just really wish they didn't end the broadcast right after the game and I could learn a little more about the sport by watching the analysis, oh well!

Anyway, not a great season but here's hoping for next.

Are you guys happy with the appointment of Cooper?

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
Welcome Seismic Wave.
Have you been lurking for a while or did you create an account as soon as you found HF. If it is the latter you may want to be careful where you tread on HF lest you get yourself flamed for being a Lightning fan and haveing an opinion on hockey.

Seismic Wave

Apr 21, 2013
Welcome Seismic Wave.
Have you been lurking for a while or did you create an account as soon as you found HF. If it is the latter you may want to be careful where you tread on HF lest you get yourself flamed for being a Lightning fan and haveing an opinion on hockey.

I'm pretty new to the board to be honest but i've noticed an anti Lightning vibe whilst browsing, why is this?

I've also noted that the Hurricanes (was it Gleason last night?) have a reputation for diving and that everyone hates the Red Wings! Is that right?

I'm also still shouting at the TV for an icing when it's clearly been waved off :help: :shakehead

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
I'm pretty new to the board to be honest but i've noticed an anti Lightning vibe whilst browsing, why is this?

I've also noted that the Hurricanes (was it Gleason last night?) have a reputation for diving and that everyone hates the Red Wings! Is that right?

I'm also still shouting at the TV for an icing when it's clearly been waved off :help: :shakehead

:laugh:

Since Florida doesn't get snow, it doesn't deserve hockey is the mindset of a lot of people on the board. I honestly think that this Lightning board is the only place where people are capable of rational thought. The Canes do have a big reputation for diving. And I didn't know everybody hated the Wings, I thought they were pretty universally loved around the league. People usually hate on the Pens, that's a big deal. Personally, I cannot stand the Bruins. Pens and Canadiens come second and third...

The icing will come :D

Welcome. :)

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

Since Florida doesn't get snow, it doesn't deserve hockey is the mindset of a lot of people on the board. I honestly think that this Lightning board is the only place where people are capable of rational thought. The Canes do have a big reputation for diving. And I didn't know everybody hated the Wings, I thought they were pretty universally loved around the league. People usually hate on the Pens, that's a big deal. Personally, I cannot stand the Bruins. Pens and Canadiens come second and third...

The Wings hate is sort of complex. They've been one of the best teams over the last 20 years, so haters are going to hate, but I think in our case it's more of a disdain for the bandwagon.

Given how the division changes next year, I think that there's going to be a lot of tension within the fanbase as Det, Bos, Mtl, etc. are all teams that you'd normally see as TB fans suddenly decide to root for.

The thing is, I could see that tension pull the die hards together at the exclusion of the more casual TB fan and peer pressure isn't necessarily a bad thing.

idea: The Lightning adopt a 'show your colors' campaign emphasizing that not being blue even a small percentage of the time horrifies and enrages Thunderbug.

Last edited:

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
The Wings hate is sort of complex. They've been one of the best teams over the last 20 years, so haters are going to hate, but I think in our case it's more of a disdain for the bandwagon.

Given how the division changes next year, I think that there's going to be a lot of tension within the fanbase as Det, Bos, Mtl, etc. are all teams that you'd normally see as TB fans suddenly decide to root for.

The thing is, I could see that tension pull the die hards together at the exclusion of the more casual TB fan and peer pressure isn't necessarily a bad thing.

idea: The Lightning adopt a 'show your colors' campaign emphasizing that not being blue even a small percentage of the time horrifies and enrages Thunderbug.
Leafs fans are in luck.

Pointerspoint

socktaper
Mar 23, 2013
Lake County
Welcome Seismic Wave! I have always wanted to visit Scotland and Ireland, beautiful country!

I'm fairly new to this site as well and before finding it I had no luck locating intelligent life on any of the other hockey message sites. This is a great board, be sure to read the game day threads (GDT) during games for lots of fun and laughs.

Seismic Wave

Apr 21, 2013

I thought everyone loved Sidney? :)

For some reason, I can't stand the Flyers! Schenn, Hartnell etc really annoy me!

Who do you guys regard as the best players in the league? Is it the obvious ones like Crosby, Kane etc or are there some guys who I wouldn't have heard of before!

Yzlamic Preacher*

Welcome to the family. Funny I'll be in Scotland on May 28 and 29

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Most welcome! I share your pain regarding the late nights but oh well, it's part of it I guess!

Me too, but somehow I like it as well. At least at the weekend, I can watch hockey after I come home from a bar or a party.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I'm diggin' the fans from overseas. Now if only we could have them replace some of the "fans" at the games. That'd be great! :yo:

TBLHoser

Jul 2, 2009
Sunshine State
I'm diggin' the fans from overseas. Now if only we could have them replace some of the "fans" at the games. That'd be great! :yo:

My brother-in-law is from Glasgow and I really don't think ya want all them Scots at your game unless they're cheering for the Lightning! Very rowdy bunch! :laugh:

BTW, loved Edinburgh & Sterling...beautiful country and I encourage everyone on this board to go experience it when you have a chance!

Welcome to the Lightning boards!

bassassin

Apr 1, 2008
England
Me too, but somehow I like it as well. At least at the weekend, I can watch hockey after I come home from a bar or a party.

I found before the UK clocks went back it was perfect. 11pm start times, finished by 1ish. Perfect for work the next day/I wouldnt normally miss much coming in from work etc.

Staying up till 2:30 ish, especially if the Lightnign are getting dicked on isn't happening :laugh:

Slightly OT there.

But welcome fellow Brit!

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
My brother-in-law is from Glasgow and I really don't think ya want all them Scots at your game unless they're cheering for the Lightning! Very rowdy bunch! :laugh:

BTW, loved Edinburgh & Sterling...beautiful country and I encourage everyone on this board to go experience it when you have a chance!

I am trying to imagine a fan with a Scottish accent at the game yelling out all the hockey lingo. The thought makes me laugh :laugh:

Glad we've got support over there though! :yo:

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Best players in the league, imo of course, Crosby and Karlsson. Crosby is head and shoulders better than anyone else in the league. Karlsson is on another level as well above other D.

Honorable Mention, Malkin(but he's off this year), Stamkos(has essentially forgotten how to play), Ovechkin(picking his game back up).

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Best players in the league, imo of course, Crosby and Karlsson. Crosby is head and shoulders better than anyone else in the league. Karlsson is on another level as well above other D.

Honorable Mention, Malkin(but he's off this year), Stamkos(has essentially forgotten how to play), Ovechkin(picking his game back up).

You forgot Malone

Seismic Wave

Apr 21, 2013

I'm quite lucky as I'm only half an hour from both Glasgow and Edinburgh and only ten minutes from Stirling!

Wish we had your weather tho! :)

Unfortunately I've never been to Tampa. I've only visited NYC and Houston state side

Do you guys get to road games? I follow a "soccer" (the real football :)) team over here home and away. Granted the distances are far less but do you miss not being able to follow them cross country?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad