News Article: Just for conversation (mock draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Have a hard time seeing it unfold like that. And Grubauer for 11th is absolutely atrocious. No one with much hockey knowledge would think that is a sane, possible trade

Reactions: Oddbob

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Too risky to drop to 9. The defender(s) left there will be Boqvist (concussions) or Hughes (really small to be more than a second pairing pp hog). To really get a impact player. I am personally worried enough about Bouchard busting due to lack of def zone iq. But he is much more likely to be a impact than those 2 mentioned above.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Bouchard would be the most disappointing pick of the pack. The guy has "Safe second pairing guy" written all over him. Great pick if you're having an off year and finish 20th, but feel you can compete soon and need guy to round out your top four. Not a guy you pick when your defense is in shambles and you will be building for the next half decade.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Bouchard would be the most disappointing pick of the pack. The guy has "Safe second pairing guy" written all over him. Great pick if you're having an off year and finish 20th, but feel you can compete soon and need guy to round out your top four. Not a guy you pick when your defense is in shambles and you will be building for the next half decade.
I don't think you've watched him a ton if your impression is he's a safe guy. He's a high upside PP QB who needs to work on his defensive game.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I don't think you've watched him a ton if your impression is he's a safe guy. He's a high upside PP QB who needs to work on his defensive game.

I've seen enough of him to know that because of his physical traits looking at his offense in the CHL is deceptive and needs to be taken with a ton of salt. The guy looks like a middle pairing guy who will feature on 2nd power play unit. He doesn't look like an elite offensive d-man nor does he look like a guy who you want up against the other team's top players.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I've seen enough of him to know that because of his physical traits looking at his offense in the CHL is deceptive and needs to be taken with a ton of salt. The guy looks like a middle pairing guy who will feature on 2nd power play unit. He doesn't look like an elite offensive d-man nor does he look like a guy who you want up against the other team's top players.
Agree to disagree, I guess. I think he's the best PP QB available this year, and it's not even close (Hughes would have to learn to shoot the puck to be in that conversation). And his passing has nothing to do with his physical traits, and it is fantastic. It's his elite talent, in my book. He's the best passer in this entire draft.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Agree to disagree, I guess. I think he's the best PP QB available this year, and it's not even close (Hughes would have to learn to shoot the puck to be in that conversation). And his passing has nothing to do with his physical traits, and it is fantastic. It's his elite talent, in my book. He's the best passer in this entire draft.

I disagree, I think Boqvist is a much more talented distributor of the puck and not coincidentally the most likely to be the guy people kick themselves for not drafting. Right now I have Dahlin, Dobson, Boqvist above Bouchard and last is Hughes, who I would rather take a forward or trade down than draft.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

No way does Bouchard get the hype he has gotten, if all he is expected to be is a "safe" 2nd pairing guy! Maybe that is all he becomes, but that doesn't get you drafted Top 10 in a great top end draft if that is the real expectation.

To me the OP mock draft post doesn't seem realistic at all. Bouchard won't fall to 9, Rangers aren't giving up a 1st round pick, to draft Wahlstrom who likely falls into the 7-10 area anyways. Peter Chiarelli said he is willing to move 10 for a very good NHL Defenceman (Not a forward), so no way are they giving up 10 for Skinner. Also can't see them giving up Pulujarvi just to get rid of Lucic. Pulujarvi can still become something pretty good, he is still very young. Also, Grubauer doesn't get 11th Overall unless some GM has lost his brain. Cory Schneider got 9th Overall, but he was more proven and looked like a starter when he got traded, Grubauer has only been a backup at this point.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
At this draft there is not much difference between 3 and 9 and so many good prospects overall so I should do it in the heartbeat

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
If the four guys (6-9) are all equal in my book, then sure, why not?

In this hypothetical, if Boqvist is there at 9 and Detroit doesn't take him, I'm flabbergasted. The only way I think Boqvist doesn't go to Detroit is if he goes before 6, like he's been pretty much penned to do forever.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I can't really agree with this. I'm a Hughes fan because his skill is truly elite, however I wouldn't complain about Bouchard. We needed offensive skill and he seems to have a pretty good amount of offensive skill. I don't have any faith in Holland at this point in his career but I think the best case scenario is hoping he'll pick big guys with real skill. I think Bouchard is the best we can hope for under Holland and Wright.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad