Just End The Season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuckerdomi

Dec 4, 2004
Ontario
I think they should just call it a day, they have the fans crossing their fingers, the players arent sure if they should go to Europe or not, it's not right, enough of these stupid 3 hour talks. I feel so bad for the Steve Y's, Andreychuk, Roberts, Thomas, Hull, Messier Etc. These guys could be finished because of these idiots not getting a deal done. What do you guys think????? we all know nothing is going to happen, so they mise well end it today.

caps

Feb 3, 2005
Southeastern VA
tuckerdomi said:
I think they should just call it a day, they have the fans crossing their fingers, the players arent sure if they should go to Europe or not, it's not right, enough of these stupid 3 hour talks. I feel so bad for the Steve Y's, Andreychuk, Roberts, Thomas, Hull, Messier Etc. These guys could be finished because of these idiots not getting a deal done. What do you guys think????? we all know nothing is going to happen, so they mise well end it today.

i agree, end the season, i'm tired of gettin my hopes up. both sides suck a$$ :madfire: i found this on espn.com, the season is done

"Saskin had perhaps the best analogy of the situation. It's like someone tries to sell you a house in a swamp but offers to put in some nice curtains to obscure the view, he said.

"The salary cap is the swamp."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?id=1982815

rekrul

Mar 7, 2003
bittersville,ca
Visit site
what good does that do?

Jul 05: "the NHLPA and NHL again agreed to meet to start talks about the 05-06 season, again the NHL insisted on 'cost certainty' which the union again stated it could not agree too"

Sept 05 " after another marathon bargining round of talks the sides broke off with no agreement, however signs of progress apear because the sides agreed to meet again"

Dec 05 " the NHLPA walked out of the last round of talks, saying the the NHL was not bargining in good standing, insisting on a cap structure"

Feb 06 " there is still hope for yet another 30 game season as the cheifs of the NHL and NHLPA are to sit again in an undisclosed site"

wiping out the season may be inevitable but its only going to mean a end of the NHL, probably for good untill they can find a legal way to impose the CBA that they want, its going to take years and I doubt they will recover fully from this.

caps

Feb 3, 2005
Southeastern VA
rekrul said:
what good does that do?

Jul 05: "the NHLPA and NHL again agreed to meet to start talks about the 05-06 season, again the NHL insisted on 'cost certainty' which the union again stated it could not agree too"

Sept 05 " after another marathon bargining round of talks the sides broke off with no agreement, however signs of progress apear because the sides agreed to meet again"

Dec 05 " the NHLPA walked out of the last round of talks, saying the the NHL was not bargining in good standing, insisting on a cap structure"

Feb 06 " there is still hope for yet another 30 game season as the cheifs of the NHL and NHLPA are to sit again in an undisclosed site"

wiping out the season may be inevitable but its only going to mean a end of the NHL, probably for good untill they can find a legal way to impose the CBA that they want, its going to take years and I doubt they will recover fully from this.

i think saying the season would be over it far-fetched. i am more than sure that the both sides would suck it up and come together rather than lettin the league collapse

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
My fears over losing the season is that the next season may well be lost with it.
At the point this season is cancelled, negotiations will end until training camp for the next season. no draft, no signings, no trades, no off season fun...nothing.

Those talks will go nowhere til the players miss another paycheck, however, more players will have taken jobs in europe and be making something. Gretzky thinks that scenario is guaranteed if this season is not saved and that at least half of the next one will go with it.

outKast*

Make a final proposal. End the season. Declare an impasse in the fall and we should have scabs playing hockey by next January. End of story and the war's over.

Many of the scums in the currently union are either forced to retire and play in Europe. Come on guys? Who really cares if Pronger won't come back? BIG fricken loss.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
rekrul said:
what good does that do?

One thing that you are forgetting. Average NHL career = 4 years. Already lost 1/4 of that, do you really think that the players will stick and watch half their careers go? The owners would feel pain in your scenerio but nothing even close to what the players will feel. I just do not see it happening, do you?

rekrul

Mar 7, 2003
bittersville,ca
Visit site
Jaded-Fan said:
One thing that you are forgetting. Average NHL career = 4 years. Already lost 1/4 of that, do you really think that the players will stick and watch half their careers go? The owners would feel pain in your scenerio but nothing even close to what the players will feel. I just do not see it happening, do you?

well to me this whole fiasco remeinds me of the baseball strike of '94. everyone thought that cancelling the season was unthinkable, that somehow they would get a deal. Fuer never budged, cap be damned flushed the WS, the Selig and Co thought that the replacments would make the players cave ala NFL style, didn't happen. So I guess we have to think who has more resovle, certainly the owners have the $$ too but its going to take probaly 2-3 years I figure if that happens the NHL would probably be so broke that they will indeed go under.

I guess I'm just rambling on but thats the senerio if they kill the season, again its probably inevitable but just giving some closesure is hardly any fun, when I put my dog down it too gave me closure but it still blows..

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
rekrul said:
well to me this whole fiasco remeinds me of the baseball strike of '94. everyone thought that cancelling the season was unthinkable, that somehow they would get a deal. Fuer never budged, cap be damned flushed the WS, the Selig and Co thought that the replacments would make the players cave ala NFL style, didn't happen. So I guess we have to think who has more resovle, certainly the owners have the $$ too but its going to take probaly 2-3 years I figure if that happens the NHL would probably be so broke that they will indeed go under.

I guess I'm just rambling on but thats the senerio if they kill the season, again its probably inevitable but just giving some closesure is hardly any fun, when I put my dog down it too gave me closure but it still blows..

I am not disagreeing entirely. But I just do not see the doomsday scenerio that you do. The players entered with a pair of 4 in their hand, the owners have a full house. The players can not even bluff their hand. Either the owners will be able to legally impose their last offer by declaring an impass, or the players will crack, but I just see no scenerio where the players do not cross big time if this goes into season two of a lockout. They have far too much to lose, far earlier than the owners do. Four year careers on average, I will say it again, no chance to ever earn the payoff that they worked their lives for. The players should fire Goodenow for how poorly he has played this. A pair of 4's is a pair of 4's, they had a bad hand dealt, but that said could not have played this worse. They had leverage at the start of this whole process, could have looked like heros by offering a Cap with a higher floor and ceiling, etc, etc, and instead drove the fans squarely into the owners side and will end up with far less, AFTER losing one precious year of salaries and AFTER lowering the revenues at least for the remainder of their careers as hockey rebuilds itself, revenues that they will be getting their pay from based on a percentage.

How much stupider could they have played this? I do not see how.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad